More coming?

Sam Warfel
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

A very nice big CME was just shot off someplace behind the NorthEast limb. I’ll be excited to see where it came from in the coming days!

23B51619-83A1-485B-A3AB-25EB80464AEE.jpeg

20 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I do get excited when you see the loops moving, CME’s hurled away just behind the limb

Well, here’s some activity around the limb for you!

42 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Well, not on the regions we were talking about, but maybe on this coming one 🤞

Yeah. The hype is real, just that we had it on the wrong regions.

15 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Speaking of regions, looking at the ones from one-half rotation ago that may be responsible are 2918 and 2921, as they were on the northwestern edge on the near side. They would have rotated to behind the northeastern limb by now. Just one thing I wanted to mention, seeing that portion of the Sun put out plenty of C and M-class flares last time we saw it. In a few days, we'll be able to see the region responsible for the CME.

Should we expect it to have a complex of spots?

1 hour ago, LunarLights58 said:

Speaking of regions, looking at the ones from one-half rotation ago that may be responsible are 2918 and 2921, as they were on the northwestern edge on the near side. They would have rotated to behind the northeastern limb by now. Just one thing I wanted to mention, seeing that portion of the Sun put out plenty of C and M-class flares last time we saw it. In a few days, we'll be able to see the region responsible for the CME.

Should we expect it to have a complex of spots?

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the activity increase dramatically as we return to the side of the sun that gave us 10+ ARs last rotation. 

52 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Dang! That's possible?

This was it September 1st 6857003F-8653-4059-9265-6DCD4005993F.jpeg.ab5e2fc2c72d45cea93041d6140682ee.jpeg

And this was it September 3rd while not officially classed as a beta-gamma-delta I can see a delta spot so I would say it’s ether a beta-gamma-delta or a beta-delta12AC78D3-2013-44F4-8814-43A2754C79C2.jpeg.d5a69b83ade946ca85697b7bc1b5334d.jpeg

It was also not exactly 1 day just a little over

10 minutes ago, farm24 said:

This was it September 1st 6857003F-8653-4059-9265-6DCD4005993F.jpeg.ab5e2fc2c72d45cea93041d6140682ee.jpeg

And this was it September 3rd while not officially classed as a beta-gamma-delta I can see a delta spot so I would say it’s ether a beta-gamma-delta or a beta-delta12AC78D3-2013-44F4-8814-43A2754C79C2.jpeg.d5a69b83ade946ca85697b7bc1b5334d.jpeg

Then on September 4th, 2017, it was classed as beta-gamma-delta. It went into a frenzy of M flares during that time. A few days after that, it produced an X9.3

Edited by LunarLights58

13 minutes ago, farm24 said:

It was also not exactly 1 day just a little over

That’s pretty amazing. 

4 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Then on September 4th, 2017, it was classed as beta-gamma-delta. It went into a frenzy of M flares during that time. A few days after that, it produced an X9.3

Wow! That’s insane!

1 hour ago, farm24 said:

Also 2927 could do what 2673 did in 2017 going from a small alpha to a large beta-gamma-delta in just a day

We can always hope!

19 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

wow!  X9 from a former alpha!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Another lesson learned: loops at the limb don’t say a thing about a possible sunspot region behind the limb as it can always be faculae. That’s why I never get excited when this happens 😉. I do get excited when you see the loops moving, CME’s hurled away just behind the limb, a rising flux when the region gets close to the limb with topped of C-level and limb flares. 

so another lesson learned ;) only start a topic about new emerging “bright loops” when there is noticeable activity detected around the limb 😜

ps: hope I wasn’t too pessimistic 😇

I like it. I like getting hyped up and your notes are easy to understand what your saying even though I'm still learning everything. But I will admit, I don't trust OUR sun. Probably the only force in the universe that comes close to women when it comes to unpredictable behavior. Just when you think you got them figured out...

2 uren geleden, Orneno zei:

would it be somewhat correct to say (I know it’s an over generalization) that alpha=nothing, beta=C-class, beta-gamma=M-class, and beta-gamma-delta=X-class?

Nope 😜 it’s an over generalisation. Alpha=nothing, beta=potential C (but if region close to the limb and magnetic layout can’t be determined yet (so it’s standard beta) you can’t rule out higher one). Beta-gamma I’ve seen minor X too, beta-gamma-delta = M and potential X. But as always, the sun is full of surprises 😜

11 uren geleden, FairyG zei:

I like getting hyped up and your notes are easy to understand what your saying even though I'm still learning everything.

Thx, we do our best to make space weather accessible for everyone and try to explain it as easy as possible ☺️ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Nope 😜 it’s an over generalisation. Alpha=nothing, beta=potential C (but if region close to the limb and magnetic layout can’t be determined yet (so it’s standard beta) you can’t rule out higher one). Beta-gamma I’ve seen minor X too, beta-gamma-delta = M and potential X. But as always, the sun is full of surprises 😜

Thanks! 😁 Good to know.

Edited by Orneno