More coming?

Sam Warfel
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

12 hours ago, Orneno said:

Still pretty bright and nice looping, what makes it not conducive to development?

The synoptic map was showing very large areas of negative polarity, and only limited areas of positive polarity, thus limited opportunity for spots to develop. The more boundaries existing between positive and negative fields, the greater possibility for larger number of spots. Additionally the 10.7cm flux was still dropping.

4 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Additionally the 10.7cm flux was still dropping.

Is it now rising due to AR 2924? 

And the other AR?

14 hours ago, Orneno said:

AR2924 is definitely developing nicely, it’s tripled in size in the last few days since appearing over the limb!

Let’s hope it turns into a huge sunspot. 

1 hour ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Is it now rising due to AR 2924? 

And the other AR?

Yes, it is.

It looks increasingly likely that the bright region in the southern hemisphere could be AR2907 returning. Hopefully it will make an appearance during tomorrow (8th), or it may slip into the early hours of the 9th. Last time around it was consistently Beta-Gamma, and produced a total of 55 C class flares, so it would be good if that can be repeated (or bettered?) It is also possible that it will be followed by AR2908. Whilst that region was not so complex, and left the west limb as an Alpha, it did produce a couple of M class flares last time round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Yes, it is.

It looks increasingly likely that the bright region in the southern hemisphere could be AR2907 returning. Hopefully it will make an appearance during tomorrow (8th), or it may slip into the early hours of the 9th. Last time around it was consistently Beta-Gamma, and produced a total of 55 C class flares, so it would be good if that can be repeated (or bettered?) It is also possible that it will be followed by AR2908. Whilst that region was not so complex, and left the west limb as an Alpha, it did produce a couple of M class flares last time round.

The one in the northern hemisphere is probably new though, right?

45 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

I think so, yes.

The only northern hemisphere spots I remember going over the western limb recently were decaying and dead. 

Interestingly, so far this cycle has been heavily biased towards the southern hemisphere of the sun. Is that normal?

57 minutes ago, Orneno said:

The only northern hemisphere spots I remember going over the western limb recently were decaying and dead. 

Interestingly, so far this cycle has been heavily biased towards the southern hemisphere of the sun. Is that normal?

It is true to say that the southern hemisphere is currently more active than the northern. That is to say there have been fewer ARs in the northern hemisphere (73 vs 99 in the south). My impression is that these regions have also been less active, but I would need to spend some time to confirm that.

Another indicator is that mean interval between ARs during first year was 64days in North and 36days in South, compared with 7.3 days North and 5 days South in the second year.

I would need to review previous cycles before commenting on how this has varied in the past.

33 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

It is true to say that the southern hemisphere is currently more active than the northern. That is to say there have been fewer ARs in the northern hemisphere (73 vs 99 in the south). My impression is that these regions have also been less active, but I would need to spend some time to confirm that.

Another indicator is that mean interval between ARs during first year was 64days in North and 36days in South, compared with 7.3 days North and 5 days South in the second year.

I would need to review previous cycles before commenting on how this has varied in the past.

We’ve had some M-flares from the north, but most of the ones I can recall are from the south, as are the largest and most active ARs. As a small example, both of our two X-class flares of this SC so far were from southern regions (I think that’s right)

17 hours ago, Orneno said:

We’ve had some M-flares from the north, but most of the ones I can recall are from the south, as are the largest and most active ARs. As a small example, both of our two X-class flares of this SC so far were from southern regions (I think that’s right)

I took some time to analyse flare data held in the Archive, and came up with some very interesting stats. Based on number of M&X flares it turns out that the Northern hemisphere has so far been more active than the south, and has also produced the largest flare (X1.59)in July 2021 !

The first M flare of this cycle was produced in the north in May 2020, followed by another in the south in November 2020.

In total we have seen 16 M fares from the north, and 13 from the south. Those flares were associated with only 8 ARs in each hemisphere.

For the period April 19th to August 28th 2021 there were 7 flares in the north, and only 2 in the south, but for the period September 23rd to December 28th there were 8 in the north, compared to 10 in the south.

For the whole cycle to date 11% of all northern ARs have produced M flares, compared to 8% for the south.

So this seems to indicate that we need to ask ourselves what is the most appropriate measure to define hemispheric activity ?

• Cool 3

On 1/7/2022 at 10:41 PM, Orneno said:

Here is some data from SIDC/SILSO indicating variation in hemispheric contribution to sunspot number (13 month smoothing)wnosuf.thumb.png.6fb0b45c32725a6d8672df198b7f8ebc.png

9 minuten geleden, farm24 zei:

once again that was anti-climatic 

Another lesson learned: loops at the limb don’t say a thing about a possible sunspot region behind the limb as it can always be faculae. That’s why I never get excited when this happens 😉. I do get excited when you see the loops moving, CME’s hurled away just behind the limb, a rising flux when the region gets close to the limb with topped of C-level and limb flares. 

so another lesson learned ;) only start a topic about new emerging “bright loops” when there is noticeable activity detected around the limb 😜

ps: hope I wasn’t too pessimistic 😇

• Confused 1