AR 3637, 3638, 3643

Wolf star
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

• Wolf star changed the title to AR 3637, 3638, 3643
16 hours ago, Jay-B said:

This delta has been there for 2 or 3 days and is still not classified yet. I wonder why?

delta.jpg

That sure looks like a delta.  We had a case like this last year also where it looked like there was a lot of impingement or whatever.  The lack of activity made us all wonder too. I wonder how active in C level flaring this AR is.  

• Like 1

Interesting.  Solar Ham lists 3637 as currently a BD.   @Jay-B  I wonder if SWPC is “ dividing” up these ARs in a similar manner to the four Northern Hemisphere regions earlier this year, I haven’t checked the synoptic map and will have a look I think. 
It’s hard for me to tell exactly where they split it, but the delta looks active in latest 131 angstrom shot of 3637.  And SFI should stay in the 200 range. North limb looks good too!  Part of the problem being that our background flux is low to mid C level and many smaller flares are perhaps not registered. Jan ( Solen) agrees apparently and thinks it capable of further M flares. Good catch.  Mike 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Delta
  • Like 1

Looks like AR3638 has began ejecting a few CME's. So far the strongest CME associated flare has reached C9.0. Hopefully the coronagraph will show something promising as this group of AR's continues to evolve.

5 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

AR3643 is now flaring as well.  10.7cm is at 215+/- so I'm betting the light show is about to begin 🙂

Almost feels like this whole cluster of spots could produce a joint eruption sooner or later with how they all start to become active.

• Like 3

After M2.2 from AR3643 peaked at 0248Z we have a CME visible via COR2A and C2. Not large and mostly south but maybe will bring us some activity in 2-3 days.

20240418_060905_n7c2A(1).jpg

Edited by AndrewB
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mozy said:

Almost feels like this whole cluster of spots could produce a joint eruption sooner or later with how they all start to become active.

I am pleased to see how the whole area suddenly comes alive.

30 minutes ago, Wolf star said:

I am pleased to see how the whole area suddenly comes alive.

I certainly agree and would be very pleased to see 250 sfi tomorrow or Friday.   Honestly, I kinda expected a resurgence in activity after the recent lull, but 100 SFI in under two weeks was nice!  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I certainly agree and would be very pleased to see 250 sfi tomorrow or Friday.   Honestly, I kinda expected a resurgence in activity after the recent lull, but 100 SFI in under two weeks was nice!  

And the latest M1.3 flare even looks like it's not impulsive. It goes down slowly.

2 hours ago, Wolf star said:

And the latest M1.3 flare even looks like it's not impulsive. It goes down slowly.

Cool @Wolf star  it would be cool is ya had a wife named Rayet.  Haven’t checked your profile though.. hopefully ya ain’t offended  Wolf-Rayet are really unusual stars btw. I mistakenly thought they were two stars locked in a spiral but maybe not!   Siily anyway. Back to topic…

Edited by hamateur 1953
Info

8 hours ago, AndrewB said:

After M2.2 from AR3643 peaked at 0248Z we have a CME visible via COR2A and C2. Not large and mostly south but maybe will bring us some activity in 2-3 days.

20240418_060905_n7c2A(1).jpg

So far looks like these will be glancing blows at most. Hopefully it will continue producing solar storms as it makes its way to the western hemisphere 🙂

16 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

This one's a bit longer in duration than the other ones lately, but doesn't quite seem eruptive.

Is magnetic caging still an issue now in this particular area? This is the third eruption that lasts a bit longer where I see some potential/hint of loops starting to lift but they've all failed to do so.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mozy said:

Is magnetic caging still an issue now in this particular area? This is the third eruption that lasts a bit longer where I see some potential/hint of loops starting to lift but they've all failed to do so.

I did wonder myself earlier, so I dug up the data on the current region, here. The unsigned flux is definitely still high, near the upper end of the range, so could be. So far it seems like it's typically that high for most big regions though, will be interesting to see what it's like if a really complex region pops up. Here's a plot of this one so far:

13637usflux.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is a big “Magnetic Cage” indeed.
wonder if @Parabolic is around?  They brought this interesting subject up in emerging flux theory awhile back I think. Although I don’t know if it would apply in this instance.   Edit:  It sure is hot in 131 ang. Just a little push. Reconnecting and blammo!  Our baseline flux is being held halfway up C level now probably by this guy alone. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
131 check
  • Like 2