Filaments and prominences

2 uren geleden, tniickck zei:

i'll miss the old threads😭 though new ones are better for the website 

Sorry, but these huge threads have to be renewed sooner or later anyway. I have added a link to the old thread in the opening post to hopefully relieve the pain a little bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justanerd said:

The blast on the South Pole of the sun at 17/02 13:28 UTC may have been caused by an unstable polar crown filament according to spaceweather.com 

We have been seeing more filaments and prominences recently, including near the poles.  This corresponds with the more chaotic magnetic field as we approach solar maximum.  Ahead of the solar pole reversal, as the solar dipole strength weakens, we may see more prominences and eruptions near the poles.

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

That'll be interesting to see in the coronagrams, wouldn't surprise me if we get a little hit from that as it looks now.

My Twitterfolks say so too. what do you say? looking at suvi, most of it went westward if im correct. (i.e the bulk)

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

My Twitterfolks say so too. what do you say? looking at suvi, most of it went westward if im correct. (i.e the bulk)

Still hard to say, but the general direction did seem that way from SUVI, and also from the latest LASCO imagery:

download.png

In one of the previous frames there seemed to be some ejecta that were quite wide, but more imagery is definitely needed.

6 hours ago, Justanerd said:

Qualcuno sa cosa ha causato la CME nel nord-ovest attualmente vista su LASCO C2?? Avevo notato un filamento fluttuante lì ore fa ma non lo vedo lasciare la superficie 

Today 13,00 UTC a filament eruption in NW

https://www.attivitasolare.com/nowcasting-solare-25-febbraio-2024/

You can translate with Chrome 

• Cool 1

Looks like a small CME with a decent amount of speed. It looks like there is some Earth-directed component, but not from the best part.

Noting the CME pointing northeast in coronagraph imagery is a different CME over the limb. Actually, on our side around 60 degrees east.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1