Filaments and prominences

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Major filament lift at about 213  UTC - visible CME in 195a - nice eruption in 304a - south central area of disc - involves a large area - ejecta appears to be to the south and very slow

Edited by Justanerd
Added description
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

Wow! Major filament lift at about 213  UTC - visible CME in 195a - nice eruption in 304a - south central area of disc - involves a large area - ejecta appears to be to the south and very slow

About time! I've been watching that thing for over an hour haha.

Really nice dimming in 193aia that stretches a good distance near center disk 😌

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Parabolic said:

About time! I've been watching that thing for over an hour haha.

Really nice dimming in 193aia that stretches a good distance near center disk 😌

Thanks for posting the 193 Ang. I saw nothing in 131 until I knew where to look from the 3/17 most recent 193.  It really is quite impressive!   

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maciej Dunst said:

According to SWPC ENLIL model it's weak glancing blow at best. 

Strangely, NASA hasn’t modeled the CME yet - nothing new from them for 4 days - and NOAA’s model is odd in the manner it splits around earth 🤷‍♂️ but they are saying midday on the 20th like Jesterface23

2 hours ago, Justanerd said:

Strangely, NASA hasn’t modeled the CME yet - nothing new from them for 4 days - and NOAA’s model is odd in the manner it splits around earth 🤷‍♂️ but they are saying midday on the 20th like Jesterface23

That is bizarre. Haha.  Wow.  Sounds like a promo for a disaster movie @Justanerd

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Justanerd said:

Looks like they've remodeled it and predict a 03/21 arrival with a more centered impact 

• Like 1

Looking at the rest of the imagery that came in, it doesn't help much. I'll just stick with an arrival expected at L1 around noon on the 20th to early on the 21st. Unless there is some sort of surprise, maybe only up to Kp4 possible would be expected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Looking at the rest of the imagery that came in, it doesn't help much. I'll just stick with an arrival expected at L1 around noon on the 20th to early on the 21st. Unless there is some sort of surprise, maybe only up to Kp4 possible would be expected.

NOAA has re-modeled the filament CME on ENLIL - now showing a direct hit and impact to occur early morning (400UTC) on 21 March. 

1830-2030utc 21 mar 

two very large filament eruptions - one in the ne quadrant centered around ar3614 - a very fiery event

one in the sw quadrant 

both ejected coronal mass as seen on LASCO c2 

• Cool 1

31 minutes ago, Justanerd said:

Can someone look at suvi 195a at about 2116 utc and explain what is happening in the ne corner of the CH?? Please thank you!

is that a filament or what??

Looked like it was a filament near 3615. Good candidate for a stealth CME!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Parabolic said:

Looked like it was a filament near 3615. Good candidate for a stealth CME!

It opened up the CH where it erupted - neat to see something I hadn’t seen before

Looks like most of the material from that filament snap fell back down. The CME itself looked kind of underwhelming and slow on C3 and as mentioned, mostly Northern directed. 304 SDO video looked pretty cool though!

1 hour ago, cgrant26 said:

That looked more like an eruptive flare than a filament lift to me.

Might be the angle of the eruption but it followed where the neutral boundary line runs.  

Screenshot_20240322-141354~3.png

• Like 1

Nice filament in the SE part of the visible disc. For now, looks stable, but it needs to "turn" closer to the center before erupting if we want an Earth-directed component. Anyways - something to watch for in the next few days. :) 

27_03_2024_1249.thumb.jpg.98c7ec7746e9063f1358ba3bde5222c8.jpg

Nice :) But, it seems be too far south and short in my opinion. I'm affraid that even if it will erupts, we could have at most a glancing blow by northern edge or even a close miss. We'll see :) Regards

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Nice :) But, it seems be too far south and short in my opinion. I'm affraid that even if it will erupts, we could have at most a glancing blow by northern edge or even a close miss. We'll see :) Regards

Fully my thoughts. :)  Although - I just give some hope, because for now, we have nothing better to see on visible disc. :D 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 4:52 AM, MeteoLatvia said:

Nice filament in the SE part of the visible disc. For now, looks stable, but it needs to "turn" closer to the center before erupting if we want an Earth-directed component. Anyways - something to watch for in the next few days. :) 

27_03_2024_1249.thumb.jpg.98c7ec7746e9063f1358ba3bde5222c8.jpg

This filament seems to be floating now on 304a - I expect a snap, lift or eruption from it very soon 

• Like 2