Filament CME 20/01/24

You can also check out the Help section, clicking a section something about How we can tell a cme is on its way to earth and How we can tell when it arrives. 

Was really helpful to me, but I still need practice to fully understand.

Edit: tniickck just posted a link about what I meant.🤭

Edited by Malisha Reuvekamp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But is the epam stuff of any worth when it comes to geoeffectiveness? thats not really explained there but @Jesterface23 mentioned its higher than he anticipated etc. i just dont know how it translates to what the impact will look like :) 

It doesn't say how good a CME will be. Some filaments hardly budge the EPAMp and we are up around the levels of some decent flare CMEs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

It doesn't say how good a CME will be. Some filaments hardly budge the EPAMp and we are up around the levels of some decent flare CMEs.

Hm, okay. but why the difference then if it does not say how good a CME will be? Its hard to wrap my mind around. 

so it can be that high but it does not say how good impact will be, and is its own phenomena? just so i get it right?

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Hm, okay. but why the difference then if it does not say how good a CME will be? Its hard to wrap my mind around. 

so it can be that high but it does not say how good impact will be, and is its own phenomena? just so i get it right?

Maybe it will be decent heh. We'll find out shortly I guess

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

Maybe it will be decent heh. We'll find out shortly I guess

hm, yeah

sorry for the many questions. im very confused about all this.

1 minute ago, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

I think what is meant is that maybe it rises higher relatively to other events?

i dont know, could be that jester meant it that way. 

@Philalethes do you maybe have an idea?

Pretty crazy seeing the EPAMp 47-68keV line all the way up to 300k with no arrival yet

have you seen that before? Does that mean it will arrive soon likely? 

i see that it started rising yesterday so isnt it too long? I mean ive seen it rise for 2 days before i think.. hmm. 

do the bigger spikes mean something will likely impact soon? if yes - i think ive understand it finally! :) 

1 minute ago, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

It starts rising when a cme erupts in earth direction.

You can check out, 6 hours, 24 hours, 3 days and 7 days afterwards so you can see the whole proces clearly.

Typically that would be a shock arrival is imminent

that would make sense, right? I looked at the predictions and 17-18 UTC (so in about an hour) seems to be one of the most popular arrival times. noaa also predicted it to start from 18-21 UTC. (in their model even 12UTC i believe but not sure?) 

I think this was mostly the change from ACE to DSCOVR. That’s why it somewhat looks like a shock arrival. Density is always showing very low on ACE.

Looks like something hit but it’s rather weak. 

Edited by arjemma