Filament CME 20/01/24

11 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

I know what you mean

Page 2

to be fair, if the sun keeps launching filaments our way like that over and over in succession for a while then thatd probably be something to consider, but i think we'd still need a corker

7 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

So unless that happens it shouldn’t be bad

someone made a really good and thought provoking post on here one time, i cant remember whereabouts, but it was about how the carrington event was NOT an isolated incident,

the sky's had been full of auroura all over the earth for about a week before the sun let RRRIP

so there must have been a ton of decent cme's for at least a week straight before the sun let out a mighty boosh!

and since the carrington event we've had a ton of really powerful and fast cmes that did sweet f*** all

so unless the sun does some completely unexpected shiz (which would have to be massive and thus downright obviously a problem)

or we get a ton of cmes culminating in a BIG and (it'd still need to be big i reckon) double digit x class flare

then its just a good cme and we hope to see some auroura

so to answer your original question again is it bad for us.. i would now answer.. only if its cloudy :)

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Majors said:

Thank you dude I have times I get nurvous about geomagnetic storms and sometimes I don’t

i have read some of your posts and i want to to clarify something for you: geomagnetic storms are dangerous for electricity (especially power grids, they suffer the most) mostly when KP-index reaches 9 (the highest on a 9-point scale). the last time this was in 2003 and an extremely small part of the power grid in Sweden has shut down. now in 2024 the world's power grid is far more protected from magnetic storms than ever. I'd even say we'd survive the 1989 event with no apparent consequences (it was the strongest storm since the start of the space age), so you don't have to worry so much, especially about a storm as weak as Kp6 (it is prognosed on 22nd Jan) , it can't harm anything

Edited by tniickck
  • Like 3

Is that going to happen with this event 

So is it higher effects in lower latitude or lower effects in lower latitude 

30 minutes ago, tniickck said:

i am afraid Kp6 is not enough for Georgia state. you need at least Kp7+

What do you mean about that

sorry if it bothering you at 3am

Edited by Nathan Majors

32 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

What do you mean about that

There needs to be better or stronger data than the one predicted at the moment.

Edited by chronical

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

ah. so when would it arrive at earth if ace epam spike is right?

I would say within 1-2 hours at L1 (hard to say though as it might be a spike from other things). Then about 60 minutes depending on solar wind speed at earth.

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

ah. so when would it arrive at earth if ace epam spike is right?

Maybe it is the other CMEs helping, but the values are fairly higher than I would of expected. And it should keep going up at this point.

• Like 1