Filament CME 20/01/24

Theres a filament that erupted this morning, pretty sure it was talked about in the filament topic, but the NASA modelisation seems way too exaggerated, and I wonder if it could correspond to the shock modelisation? 

https://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/iSWACygnetStreamer?timestamp=2038-01-23+00%3A44%3A00&window=-1&cygnetId=261

Edited by chronical

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

lmao i was about to create the same topic. M2M NASA forecaster Hannah Hermann predicts Kp6-Kp8

IMG_20240120_191812_837.jpg

IMG_20240120_191808_075.jpg

update: it was remodeled and Kp5-7 is expected

why do you think remodelled?i can see the model from 12:06 UTC and the one from 12:49 UTC but i ddont know the difference. and it says up to almost kp8 still but nasa m2m and met office say 5-7 in the CME Scoreboard. ofc the first is only a model so id trust the forecasters more.

@Jesterface23 @Philalethes

Hmm. It looks like we will be taking a direct hit from the CME with a egg shaped full halo. I'd expect an arrival between the afternoon on the 22nd to the morning of the 23rd UTC. G3 may be possible with an early arrival going to G2 possible with a later arrival.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Hmm. It looks like we will be taking a direct hit from the CME with a egg shaped full halo. I'd expect an arrival between the afternoon on the 22nd to the morning of the 23rd UTC. G3 may be possible with an early arrival going to G2 possible with a later arrival.

I made a forecast earlier and it is nearly the same as yours

Без названия12_20240120220916.png

Edited by tniickck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

I made a forecast earlier and it is nearly the same as yours

Без названия12_20240120220916.png

Interesting! How did you make this forecast? Do you have your own model or something like that? I'm asking as I have made a few projects (that aren't done) in python to calculate a few things in space weather.

To me it does look like a glancing blow, but a rather strong one (if we get some core). Hopefully we will get some core that has the right flux rope orientation so we can get some nice aurora. It has been a while since we had strong aurora so I hope this will give us some storming. According to the CME Scoreboard the average max kp is around 4-6 as of now. 

Side note: I love this concept when it comes to topic creation and it will be easier to go back and read about certain storms in the future.

• Like 1

The launching filaments had substantial helicity, vorticity, or just plain twistiness associated with them.  I wonder if that is conducive or deleterious, or neither, with regard to maintaining its plasma density as it travels towards Earth?

1 hour ago, arjemma said:

Side note: I love this concept when it comes to topic creation and it will be easier to go back and read about certain storms in the future.

Yes indeed - my only other suggestion would be to adopt a standard date and time format in topic titles, e.g. YYYY-MM-DD

https://www.iso.org/iso-8601-date-and-time-format.html

That said, it is easy enough to search the archive with a keyword (e.g. CME) and a date range, irrespective of the date time format in the title or text.

Edited by Drax Spacex
looking for date
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malisha Reuvekamp said:

What about latest Nasa model?

It looks so different.

Than Met Office and swpc.

Latest Nasa model is for another cme (if you mean the one 15UTC) the run for this cme is still the 12:49 one. nasa runs all cmes because they have missions besides earth too

26 minutes ago, tniickck said:

i dont believe in ENLIL model

why?

23 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

why?

i mean the one which is here https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/ru/solnechnaya-aktivnost/wsa-enlil.html

Looking at 304 movie of cme we see a huge bulk of material coming towards us and enlil made a "hole" in cme so the Earth won't be hit as much as we expect, according to it

Edited by tniickck

41 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Latest Nasa model is for another cme (if you mean the one 15UTC) the run for this cme is still the 12:49 one. nasa runs all cmes because they have missions besides earth too

Thank you, that explains a lot. 🤭

I only have 1 nasa model as far as I know, using SpaceweatherLive. 

Where can I find different nasa models?

2 hours ago, cheebee said:

a second just erupted off of the north east, i opened this thread expecting to have seen that the filament on the south had erupted but wow! noice!

Huh? When? Im gonna look at suvi ! :) 

18 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

Is that bad for us

nah

not yet..... 👀😄

sorry for laughing, we've seen some crazy stuff come off of the sun and we've been just fine, so the way i see it, when one pops off thats going to be a real problem, we'll be like.... oi oi savaloy, thats a f***ing biggun!
also we'll probably need a lot of build up of magnetic disturbance before hand for a big one to have full effect,

thats just my take on it,

sorry for messing about

i think we'd be less likely to ask, 'is that gonna be trouble' and we'd be more like 'thats going to be trouble' ... we'll probably know straight away

Edited by cheebee
felt bad