Sunspot 3293 - making up for 3288 already

Christopher S.

• Christopher S. changed the title to Sunspot 3293 - making up for 3288 already
1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Very nice; I just barely saw a new spot on the i-gram, wasn't expecting that right off the bat. Definitely looks eruptive, but at that angle I guess the chance for anything Earth-directed is low.

My hopes are to simply see more of what occurs at various orders of magnitude preceding and following a very active region which keeps the flux quite high, doing something like an X-flare. Run-on sentence, meh. If we get aurora and I actually get outside in time to see it... I mean I just missed an opportunity during that last mega storm! I'm a bit miffed. Let's see some action!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Looks like clear indications of a delta here too:

imageedit-3-3310367389.gif

We'll see when we get a clearer view with some more rotation.

Scientifically speaking, I believe the sunspot is camera shy. Super scientific interpretation, I promise.

• Haha 1

Not sure if this newly emerging region is getting its own designation or not, but it definitely looks more and more to me like a reverse polarity region, aka. an anti-Hale region (@mozy).

lapses.gif

No guarantee for activity of course, but the literature is certainly promising. Couldn't find any quantitative estimates, but some interesting information in papers like this:

Solar active regions that violate the Hale–Nicholson rule are rare, but once formed, they tend to be flare-productive. In this letter, we investigated the evolution of an anti-Hale region newly emerging from the active region AR 12882 with a regular Hale distribution. The entire active region became very active, producing two eruptive flares within 48 hr after the emergence of the anti-Hale region. Strong photospheric shear motions appeared in this anti-Hale region, changing its tilt angle from the north–south direction to the east–west direction. The flux emergence and shearing motions continuously injected magnetic energy and negative magnetic helicity into the upper atmosphere.

Interesting how it looks like something similar is happening here, with the north-south orientation changing to east-west as it forms.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

No estoy seguro de si esta región emergente está recibiendo su propia designación o no, pero definitivamente me parece cada vez más una región de polaridad inversa, también conocida como. una región anti-Hale (@mozy).

lapsos.gif

No hay garantía de actividad, por supuesto, pero la literatura es ciertamente prometedora. No se pudieron encontrar estimaciones cuantitativas, pero sí información interesante en documentos como este :

Es interesante cómo parece que algo similar está sucediendo aquí, con la orientación norte-sur cambiando a este-oeste a medida que se forma.

It's the region 3296. How interesting! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

Looking good now for sure; still looks impulsive, but that's fine, just save the real explosions a few more days.

I don't even care if they're impulsive, give me all the flares in the world, we've been in a drought lately after the 3 month surge of flares from december to february :D 

7 minutes ago, mozy said:

Ni siquiera me importa si son impulsivos, dame todas las bengalas del mundo, hemos estado en una sequía últimamente después de la oleada de bengalas de 3 meses de diciembre a febrero.:D 

Yeah! Give us action! 🤩 M3.12 now... This gets interesting!

Just now, Ester89 said:

¡Sí! ¡Danos acción! 🤩 M3.12 ahora... ¡Esto se pone interesante!

Now i realize that this last flare is coming from another region

13 minutes ago, mozy said:

I don't even care if they're impulsive, give me all the flares in the world, we've been in a drought lately after the 3 month surge of flares from december to february :D 

4 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

Preach. Bring it on.

4 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

It looks to me like both flares were from this region on the SUVI imagery.

Time to bring out DJ Khaled again.

anotherone-min.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

It's just their automatic system messing up, It's from the same region.

Also boom again

M 7.2

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mozy said:

The delta might die out soon after all these flares., hopefully the other regions can start taking over after.

Do you have a picture of it before the flares?:D good morning.. it looks a bit smaller to me.

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you have a picture of it before the flares?:D good morning.. it looks a bit smaller to me.

Nah, just watch a loop of SDO and you'll see the rapid motions of it when it started flaring :D

1 minute ago, mozy said:

Nah, just watch a loop of SDO and you'll see the rapid motions of it when it started flaring :D

I’ll do so when I’m on pc. Sadly sdo movies are still rather buggy on mobile -_- I remember talking about these motions, but did you observe any other change?