Sunspot 3293 - making up for 3288 already

Christopher S.

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I’ll do so when I’m on pc. Sadly sdo movies are still rather buggy on mobile -_- I remember talking about these motions, but did you observe any other change?

Looks a bit weaker but It's still there.

Btw, when you mean buggy how do you mean? You're talking about the bug where if you move to the left the picture goes back to the right and gets stuck?

Edited by mozy

7 minutes ago, mozy said:

Btw, when you mean buggy how do you mean? You're talking about the bug where if you move to the left the picture goes back to the right and gets stuck?

Yes. Also, if i try to move it then it just blacks out. 😕 I have this on Android and ios.

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Yes. Also, if i try to move it then it just blacks out. 😕 I have this on Android and ios.

That bug is fixed for me by zooming in at the same time while moving to the spot you wanna go to.

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do you have a picture of it before the flares?:D good morning.. it looks a bit smaller to me.

This is from 9:15 to 11:45:

lapse-i-cropped.gif

Does look like it shrunk a little indeed, and as you can see the spots shifted around a bit. Still there for now, though.

18 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

Hello, I am here to give an opinion on these sunspots and my opinion is that its delta is decreasing and it seems that by tomorrow or Friday there will be no more delta if another does not grow. 

Yeah, that definitely seems to be the case. Too bad all the flares were impulsive, but it was a fun day; 5 M-flares in roughly as many hours, good sign of activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulo Scaldaferri said:

Looks like 3 inverted polarities in a row…

IMG_5617.jpeg.283ea90bd22f52451bc142e12d30d941.jpeg

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The leftmost (3297) and rightmost (3293) are very clearly regular polarity, with negative on the left and positive on the right, as expected from the northern hemisphere. Only 3296 in the middle is clearly a reverse polarity region, with the positive on the left and the negative on the right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

No estoy seguro de lo que quieres decir con eso. El extremo izquierdo (3297) y el extremo derecho (3293) son claramente de polaridad regular, con negativo a la izquierda y positivo a la derecha, como se esperaba del hemisferio norte. Solo 3296 en el medio es claramente una región de polaridad inversa, con el positivo a la izquierda y el negativo a la derecha.

I wanted to ask how to know when a region is of reverse polarity, but with this answer my question is resolved. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

I wanted to ask how to know when a region is of reverse polarity, but with this answer my question is resolved. Thanks!

Also keep in mind that it switches from cycle to cycle, and it's the opposite in the other hemisphere. So in this cycle, the southern hemisphere has the polarities reversed, with the positive on the left and the negative on the right; and in the next cycle the northern hemisphere will have negative preceding (to the right) spots and positive succeeding (to the left) spots instead, and the opposite for the southern hemisphere.

So whenever there's a region which doesn't follow this rule, like 3296, it's a reverse polarity region; unless it's actually part of the next cycle, that is, but then it will generally appear at a very high latitude, typically above 50° north or south, which is not the case here (this one formed at around 16° N if I'm not mistaken).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

También tenga en cuenta que cambia de ciclo a ciclo, y es lo contrario en el otro hemisferio. Entonces, en este ciclo, el hemisferio sur tiene las polaridades invertidas, con la positiva a la izquierda y la negativa a la derecha; y en el próximo ciclo, el hemisferio norte tendrá puntos anteriores negativos (a la derecha) y puntos positivos sucesivos (a la izquierda), y lo contrario para el hemisferio sur.

Entonces, cada vez que hay una región que no sigue esta regla, como 3296, es una región de polaridad inversa; a menos que en realidad sea parte del próximo ciclo, es decir, pero entonces generalmente aparecerá en una latitud muy alta, típicamente por encima de los 50° norte o sur, lo cual no es el caso aquí (este se formó alrededor de los 16° N si no me equivoco).

Wow, really interesting! I didn't expect it to be something that changed from cycle to cycle. Love it!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

Wow, really interesting! I didn't expect it to be something that changed from cycle to cycle. Love it!

Yeah, it's very interesting for sure. The entire polarity of the Solar magnetic field essentially reverses, and it's when the polarities are crossing over to the other side, which is around these times for this cycle, that activity increases. Then there's a new minimum with stable polarities of the overall heliomagnetic field, before the process of reversal begins again; at least it's been that way every ~11 years on average for as long as we've been observing and recording it, almost 300 years now.

Actually, I will add that I'm not sure exactly how long we've studied the polarities themselves, so the 300 years refers to the observation of the cycle; and before that there was also a prolonged minimum known as the Maunder minimum where activity decreased significantly for a long time (~70 years). As you can read in the Wikipedia article, there was a 30-year period with less than 50 observed sunspots; of course we didn't have as good methods of observation back then, but that's still quite extreme. We don't really know how the heliomagnetic field behaved back then, but maybe we'll be so unlucky as to observe something similar again in the future.

• Like 2

I do not know actually if there is a tecnical term form this.

But it a row it looks like negative - positive - positive - negative - negative - positive (because of 96). So accidental same-polarity regions active and adjacent.

Edited by Paulo Scaldaferri

Flare and CME ,AR 3296 , Class C leve , https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=9rhn5 , https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=hrhn5 , It is necessary to analyze the impact trajectory in coronagraphs. https://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events_archive/events_summary/2023/05/05/gev_20230505_1539/index.html  It seems that you go very west, better wait for more detail from the event , https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=Nrhn5 ,impact direct straight.

Edited by Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco

25 minutes ago, Jhon Henry Osorio Orozco said:

Flare and CME ,AR 3296 , Class C leve , https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=9rhn5 , https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=hrhn5 , It is necessary to analyze the impact trajectory in coronagraphs. https://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events_archive/events_summary/2023/05/05/gev_20230505_1539/index.html  It seems that you go very west, better wait for more detail from the event , https://helioviewer.org/?movieId=Nrhn5 ,impact direct straight.

you mean east?

It seems that my prognosis was correct the delta died on Friday, hm right now it These spots seem to be dying even though they are showing M activity, their complexity is breaking down so it is my opinion that they are giving signs that they are dying