Geomagnetic K-index of 8?, coronal hole along with cme?

Isatsuki San

3 minutes ago, M42Sparks said:

So at Kp7 has it wiped out any HF radio. The charts i was looking at don't reflect this condition or is there a time lag in the real time charts listed on space weather.

What charts are you talking about

Hace 1 hora, Jesterface23 dijo:

Estuvimos al menos brevemente en condiciones Kp7. El SWPC nos tiene por debajo de Kp4 o menos ahora, pero las áreas locales pueden ser diferentes.

I am surprised to see a geomagnetic storm kp 7 that is past? is the ch doing the geomagnetic storm conditions kp7?

21 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

I am surprised to see a geomagnetic storm kp 7 that is past? is the ch doing the geomagnetic storm conditions kp7?

Yeah that happened before. its also a combination from ( i think multiple) CME's and CH HSS

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Isatsuki San said:

Well, it seems that the United State station is experiencing a kp8

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/usaf-magnetometer-analysis

I use HP30 nowcast, i dont know how different that is. @Vancanneyt Sander @Marcel de Bont can you guys shed some light? 

PS: Last Kp7 was closer to a 8 on that chart you linked too, i remember

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Sí, eso pasó antes. también es una combinación de (creo que múltiples) CME y CH HSS

I know, I wanted to say, what is happening, here, I was seeing what supposedly caused it and the only cme that is directed to earth was a weak cme along with the cir ch,

It seems that the planetary conditions have dropped to kp 5 but the bz 13 is to the south so maybe a kp6 or kp5 will follow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Sí. No sé qué esperar para las próximas horas porque su BZ negativo sostenido pero falta velocidad. 

if sustained to the south, a geomagnetic storm kp6 can come in the next hours So maybe and I see the aurora potential is around 120 almost 

II have a question  @Vancanneyt Sander @Marcel de BontWhat do you think of the conditions for the next few hours and what do you think of the geomagnetic storm kp7 that there was for an hour I think

20 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Creo que pronto veremos una transición a la corriente del agujero coronal, creo que todavía estamos en el CIR .:) 

No sé cuánto suelen durar. 

También creo que el impacto fue antes de lo previsto por noaa.

I think the same 

45 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Ich denke, wir werden bald einen Übergang zum koronalen Lochstrom sehen, ich denke, wir sind immer noch im CIR .:) 

Ich weiß nicht, wie lange sie normalerweise halten. 

Ich denke auch, dass der Aufprall früher war, als noaa erwartet hatte.

Is it possible that we have seen a cannibale Storm?

Just musings here…. But what if we had a real-time planetary A index available for our interpretation??  Raw data so to speak.  Would be preferable.  Anyone else thinking along those lines on this forum??  Mike/Hagrid. 

guess I should have LOOKED AT spaceweather watch. excuuuse me! 🤣🤣🤣

Well, exposing my ignorance has never been a problem for me. I only hope Cat Perkinton has her eyes and camera at the ready!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

This could be a SIR with embedded flux rope. Time will eventually tell. Nice negative Bz though

Do SIR's last that long? Man, its been so long we had such a decent CH HSS, i completely forgot everything. 

Noaa confirming its stronger than they anticipated. i thought so :) it was quite early too.

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do SIR's last that long? Man, its been so long we had such a decent CH HSS, i completely forgot everything. 

The SIR would have been back around the proton density spike and is well over. The long transitions in the IMF components might be that we are in, a flux rope. The velocities are gradually going down and other components have glitchy data, so I'm not 100% sure if we are actually in a CME/flux rope or if we are in a long CIR.

25 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The SIR would have been back around the proton density spike and is well over. The long transitions in the IMF components might be that we are in, a flux rope. The velocities are gradually going down and other components have glitchy data, so I'm not 100% sure if we are actually in a CME/flux rope or if we are in a long CIR.

When do you think is stuff gonna change? Thanks for your opinion! 

Looks like we're in a G2 storm rn.

@Jesterface23 138e372872f51df51341c27a18804646.png did you see the drop in temperature between 22:30UTC and now? does that maybe give us some info?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

When do you think is stuff gonna change? Thanks for your opinion! 

Looks like we're in a G2 storm rn.

There are better odds asking a magic 8 ball heh. A shift to begin the decline in the aurora could be in 10 minutes or keep on going for another 12 hours.

• Haha 1