Region 3186

MinYoongi

11 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i'm puzzled as to why this region is constantly flaring. 

Heres a picture of both the intensigram and the magnetogram as of 10th january 2023 16:30UTC. :) 

cd647969097285a6d3590369ee8367a7.png1f1878891e6c8de907b7eee860152e16.png

Could the leading spot be a Delta?

It is a delta & they're close to each other

1 uur terug, Jesterface23 zei:

Even though it is close to the limb, given the polarities aren't facing east to west, I'd guess that is a leading delta spot there.

The big spot has a bit of both so either it consists of two spots close together (but we can't see it yet because it's still close to the limb) or it's just due to the limb that it isn't clear. At least the other spot can be marked as delta as it's in the red. 

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-10 om 19.27.15.png

• Like 1

To me it looks like the big sunspot is red and the tiny one you arrowed is blue. that would still make a delta and would make sense, to me.

So just to paraphrase it, (and for me to get it cuz im a dummy lol) : the big sunspot could consist of two polarities? i think ive only seen that once in a departing region.

17 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

The big sunspot could consist of two polarities?

no, each spot has one polarity, not both. But due to the fact that sunspots are cooler zones they are a bit lower on the surface, so when viewing from the side you don't get the picture right. Because of that effect, two spots of opposite polarity squashed against each other would show up like one spot close to the limb; or it's just due to the limb that we don't get the full view of it's complexity. that's why in the first 2-3 days determining magnetic complexity is not possible. In this case there is some doubt about the main big spot because it now shows as two colors, but the one on the arrow is just one spot that is clearly in the blue so that's already sure.

• Like 3

Would you look at that, now an X-flare from this region!

I was just looking at it an hour ago and found it really interesting in the leading edge, seems both umbraes of opposite polarities kinda merged in with eachother unless I'm just seeing it wrong.

Edited by mozy

1 minute ago, mozy said:

Would you look at that, now an X-flare from this region!

I was just looking at it an hour ago and found it really interesting in the leading edge, seems both umbraes of opposite polarities kinda merged in together unless I'm just seeing it wrong.

How do you always know before me?! I keep f5'ing suvi but its still at 22:41! :D And SDO is behind 10-15mins for me as well!

Can you maybe arrow or circle what you exactly mean? 🙈 im looking at it too

i thought it decayed/disappeared and didnt merge, because the overall flux went down and it looked that way in the magnetograms. (i hope im referring to what you mean)

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

i thought it decayed/disappeared and didnt merge, because the overall flux went down and it looked that way in the magnetograms. (i hope im referring to what you mean)

I thought that too but the red color on the colorized magnetogram was still pretty strong next to the blue and it was all one umbrae so I was unsure, I'm not comfortable at saying anything since the region is still not in a good position where we can spot everything perfectly.

Seems like this one is atleast shooting out something compared to earlier X-flares

Edited by mozy

Update :

37aea84f51270e46fff158dfc58330f4.png 

Just now, mozy said:

Seems like this one is atleast shooting out something compared to earlier X-flares

yeah looks like a (i think narrow, doesnt looks wide eh?) CME to the left/east.

mozy, will you update me on the "shifting" thing we talked about yesterday? I want to know if you can observe it again! :) 

2 minutes ago, mozy said:

I thought that too but the red color on the colorized magnetogram was still pretty strong so I was unsure, I'm not comfortable at saying anything since the region is still not in a good position where we can spot everything perfectly.

Yeah i totally get the unsure thing about its classification. Did you ever see something like that? Umbra-merging? 

2 minutes ago, Calder said:

That was a very impulsive X flare. Already back down to C3…

Reached its peak in like 2 minutes or something. maybe a bit longer

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Update :mozy, will you update me on the "shifting" thing we talked about yesterday? I want to know if you can observe it again! :) 

Ha, I'll see if it happens again

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Yeah i totally get the unsure thing about its classification. Did you ever see something like that? Umbra-merging? 

I don't think they really merged into one, but from Its position that it's currently at it most likely only looks that way, they're probably just real close to each other creating that shear that sparked it, but like I said, I'm not comfortable at all saying anything due to Its location, just speculation at this point :D

Edited by mozy

4 minutes ago, mozy said:

Ha, I'll see if it happens again

Yay, thanks! 

4 minutes ago, mozy said:

just real close to each other creating that shear that sparked it

Is there a big difference between an M9 and a X1.06 flare? Is 1.06 "barely" an X ? 

3 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It launched a CME a bit southward, but still not quite an eruptive CME that we want on our side of the disk yet. (unless it is fast and aimed at us)

To me it looks eastward, I posted a pic of you scroll up a bit. It’s also narrow and not wide I think

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mozy said:

It happened again, go see if u spot it 😎

Can you mark it for me? I think I see it! But I’m not too sure, I can’t zoom more without it getting ratty 🥲

What I noticed @mozy the red got MUCH darker in comparison to an hour ago. Wanna see?

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Can you mark it for me? I think I see it! But I’m not too sure, I can’t zoom more without it getting ratty 🥲

What I noticed @mozy the red got MUCH darker in comparison to an hour ago. Wanna see?

Yes, you can actually somewhat spot the delta again, happened after the flare.

0fe04545b2b78e1383a99bb8b33bc953.png

38 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Interesting how this flare was both very impulsive but seems like it may be eruptive!

Dimming confirms a CME!

Some of the ejecta appears to have been reabsorbed back into the sun.  We'll have to wait for a coronagraph to see how much actually escaped.

48 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It launched a CME a bit southward, but still not quite an eruptive CME that we want on our side of the disk yet. (unless it is fast and aimed at us)

Or, in my case, don't want.  😉