CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Region 3031

MinYoongi

15 hours ago, Newbie said:

A magnetic field is characterised by poles, opposite ends, called north and south. Magnetic polarity refers to the orientation of these poles in space. Eg. - +; +-. North is negative, South is positive. Think of a bar magnet with its field lines which run North and South.

Sunspots have magnetic polarities or orientations. They can be -+ or +-. RED/BLUE or BLUE/RED. ALPHA spots are single polarity all RED or all BLUE, and are the most simple. 

With BETA classification there is no mixing of polarities, there are distinct areas for the red bits and blue bits.They are clearly separated. With GAMMA classification, there is a mixing of polarities. There are no distinct areas for the red bits and blue bits. They are no longer clearly separated - blue bits and red bits everywhere. Gamma is more complex than Beta. 

Sunspots are like bundles of magnetic flux rope twisting and bending in response to other bundles of magnetic flux rope. The closer the bundles are to each other, the more likely it is that these flux ropes will break, causing an explosion. This is more likely to occur when there is a mixing of polarities. 

Then there is DELTA classification. Opposite polarity spots are so close to each other that one is inside the penumbra of the other spot. Red inside a blue spot and blue inside a red spot. They are very likely to explode because of the amount of twisting and bending caused by the proximity of the opposing magnetic fields. Shear is greatest here because the magnetic fields around the delta spots can push the north south magnetic field lines horizontal in surrounding areas. Bending, twisting, breaking and BANG! 

N.

This is a really helpful post in terms of spot classification, but there are a couple of points of potential confusion relating to magnetic polarity.

1. The pole designated N on a bar magnet is actually a North-seeking pole (on Earth), i.e. if you suspend the magnet in Earth's magnetic field the North pole of the magnet will orient towards the North - just like a compass needle. Essentially, what we call the North Pole on Earth is actually Magnetic south

2. In terms of the Sun the poles change polarity each cycle, so North can be + or - depending on which cycle we are in.

I guess that the important thing to remember is that conventionally the field is emitted from a + region and enters a - region

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

3030/3032 may have lost somewhat, although 3031 looks good. Also, it’s still decently high. Exciting things can happen when the flux isn’t C-class all day, that’s pretty rare. 

3031 has decayed alot if you look at the SDO difference from 24h. Still looks good though! 

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

This is a really helpful post in terms of spot classification, but there are a couple of points of potential confusion relating to magnetic polarity.

1. The pole designated N on a bar magnet is actually a North-seeking pole (on Earth), i.e. if you suspend the magnet in Earth's magnetic field the North pole of the magnet will orient towards the North - just like a compass needle. Essentially, what we call the North Pole on Earth is actually Magnetic south

2. In terms of the Sun the poles change polarity each cycle, so North can be + or - depending on which cycle we are in.

I guess that the important thing to remember is that conventionally the field is emitted from a + region and enters a - region

3030 seems to have gained alot of spotsand grow.. did you look at sdo? :o  is it strengthening?

3 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Just got an M1 from this region! It's still got it!

Yep! How does it look magnetically? Sdo sadly does not work on my phone..

Was it eruptive? I think its in a relatively good position for a CME. But the flare was really impulsive

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Was it eruptive? I think its in a relatively good position for a CME. But the flare was really impulsive

No, it was waaaay to impulsive to be eruptive.  It's actually kind of impressively impulsive

here's your magnetic configuration

image.thumb.png.a5ceb4d4bb7e21272bab5122b73f485f.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 3gMike said:

What do you mean by this? I thought field lines travel outward from a - (North) region and travel inward to a + (south) region. 🤔

Some diagrams relating to magnetic fields.

The first figure is of the magnetic field lines for a bar magnet.

The second figure is of the magnetic field lines for the Earth

The magnetic field lines show the direction in which the magnetic force is acting at any particular point. The density of the magnetic field lines shows the strength of the magnetic force acting. If the lines are close together the magnetic force is great, if the lines are spread out the force is weak. From the magnetic field pattern you can see that the magnetic field is strongest (greatest magnetic force acting on any magnetic object) at the poles of a magnet.

Screenshot_2022-06-16-20-14-56-1.png

Screenshot_2022-06-16-20-14-48-1.png

Edited by Newbie
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 3gMike said:

I include some of what 3gMike posted to round out the explanation.

N.

I was hoping this would have been merged.

Edited by Newbie

13 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Have you tried the SDO viewer app? I have it on my phone and tablet. I have a slow connection, so it takes about 30-45 seconds to load…

Alli have to do I. The morning when I wake is pick up my phone and click on the SDO viewer and I get my first look at the sun every day!

• Cool 1

29 minutes ago, Newbie said:

If  this area of 3031 continues to develop there is a great chance for an explosion. 

N.

Screenshot_2022-06-17-09-32-45-1.png

sadly the pic is really compressed :(  You could upload them to imgur or gyazo and embedd them here, i do that :) a69db9c0492f5d32a43eca64ca07dea7.jpg

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

sadly the pic is really compressed :(  You could upload them to imgur or gyazo and embedd them here, i do that :) a69db9c0492f5d32a43eca64ca07dea7.jpg

Great idea Min. thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

I like to use little thumbnails so I'm not taking up a lot of space on these pages. I forget a lot of people are using their phones.

N.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orneno said:

Wow! That’s a bright one!

Earth directed? :o 

where is the region?

"Other activity of note included an approximate 35 degree filament
eruption centered near S53W50 that began at 26/0128 UTC in SUVI 304
imagery. Approximately the same time as this filament lifted off, loop
structures could be seen in SUVI 171 imagery that appear to be a
backside CME which was accelerating faster than the filament eruption.
Beginning at 26/0336 UTC in SOHO/LASCO C2 imagery, a partial halo CME
was observed. Initial fits of this CME show a backside bias. However, a
much slower frontside CME cannot be ruled out. Due to the filaments
direction of travel, the majority of the ejecta is likely well south of
the ecliptic. Further analysis is on-going."

6 hours ago, Orneno said:

Wow! That’s a bright one!

Ok i basically just had to read up on it. So not earth directed. is there a region on the farside thats been spewing CME's? Look at the Cactus list o: 

13 hours ago, Calder said:

f I were to take a guess, I’d say this far side eruption is from 3031.

which region was 3031 again? When is it due to return?

oh and one more question @Calder wasnt 3031 very far north? How can a southdirected CME be from that region then? i looked at gong farside data and i dont see a southern region though

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

which region was 3031 again?

70AD5D48-2DE9-4A59-927C-093C5CC64858.thumb.jpeg.8761a97e548e411d0c90f9b2566ff62e.jpegThis is 3031 from June 15. The timing of the CME would put this region in the right spot and when it crossed over the limb it was flaring. So it’s possible this is what caused it. It’s only a guess since we can’t see the farside. (Other than GONG)

Also, if you wanted to remember what 3031 looked like again, just scroll up. Lol. I posted this in the 3031 forum for a reason. 😉

Edited by Calder
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:15 AM, Calder said:

D168EDEA-92D7-4ABA-B9B1-173FF6DF3120.thumb.jpeg.7fb4066797632c4eaacc8a171974d9b2.jpegIf I were to take a guess, I’d say this far side eruption is from 3031.

Ka-POW!

we really need to have 3 satellites in heliocentric orbit, 120* apart, along with 3 Mormon a polar orbit. That way, we always have a 3D image, and every satellite always has a “relay” home!  That is an awesome picture! Thanks for posting it!

WW

On 6/26/2022 at 3:02 PM, Calder said:

70AD5D48-2DE9-4A59-927C-093C5CC64858.thumb.jpeg.8761a97e548e411d0c90f9b2566ff62e.jpegThis is 3031 from June 15. The timing of the CME would put this region in the right spot and when it crossed over the limb it was flaring. So it’s possible this is what caused it. It’s only a guess since we can’t see the farside. (Other than GONG)

Also, if you wanted to remember what 3031 looked like again, just scroll up. Lol. I posted this in the 3031 forum for a reason. 😉

And just a week before, it was nearly spotless,

It was looking that way to me yesterday, while the action today does not seem really intense, we do several sunspot groups visible! Gotta like that!

On 6/26/2022 at 12:15 AM, Calder said:

If I were to take a guess, I’d say this far side eruption is from 3031