Region 3031

MinYoongi

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Development has slowed down since yesterday but i think its getting more complex. Can you maybe show where the mixing is good? I just wanna confirm if i got better at telling 😅😅

as you say the saying: slowly but surely it seems to have a delta point i think

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Wow this region is growing fast!

Yup, looks like it. There’s also some nice polarity mixing to the NW of there 

Where exactly? (Im a bit lost with the magnetograms) 
are there more deltas? 

38 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Positive and negative close together or, well, mixed. As in, not clear distinct areas for each polarity, and especially not just one area for each polarity

And this causes the likelihood for flares to rise, right?

Btw: Just wanted to look at the Region again, but SDO is trolling me again... Down again, no new Data.... !!

90a7acaf3e076c6c694f8cd5c65aab4a.png

2 minutes ago, Newbie said:

A magnetic field is characterised by poles, opposite ends, called north and south. Magnetic polarity refers to the orientation of these poles in space. Eg. - +; +-. North is negative, South is positive. Think of a bar magnet with its field lines which run North and South.

Sunspots have magnetic polarities or orientations. They can be -+ or +-. RED/BLUE or BLUE/RED. ALPHA spots are single polarity all RED or all BLUE, and are the most simple. 

With BETA classification there is no mixing of polarities, there are distinct areas for the red bits and blue bits.They are clearly separated. With GAMMA classification, there is a mixing of polarities. There are no distinct areas for the red bits and blue bits. They are no longer clearly separated - blue bits and red bits everywhere. Gamma is more complex than Beta. 

Sunspots are like balls of manetic flux rope twisting and bending in response to other balls of magnetic flux rope. The closer the balls are to each other, the more likely it is that these flux ropes will break, causing an explosion. This is more likely to occur when there is a mixing of polarities. 

Then there is DELTA classification. Opposite polarity spots are so close to each other that one is inside the penumbra of the other spot. Red inside a blue spot and blue inside a red spot. They are very likely to explode because of the amount of twisting and bending caused by the proximity of the opposing magnetic fields. Shear is greatest here because the magnetic fields around the delta spots can push the north south magnetic field lines horizontal in surrounding areas. Bending, twisting, breaking and BANG! 

N.

Absolute great explanation without using complex language ! Thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Not exactly a “solution” though 

It was a solution to my Question though and marking it as a solution is a way of highlighting a specific answer in a thread. Since this Thread is about an AR rather than a Question anyway, I thought it would be nice to just make it stand out.

Maybe I should suggest something other than solution to Highlight specific messages, that would be awesome for certain threads! 🥰💫

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

It was a solution to my Question though and marking it as a solution is a way of highlighting a specific answer in a thread. Since this Thread is about an AR rather than a Question anyway, I thought it would be nice to just make it stand out.

Maybe I should suggest something other than solution to Highlight specific messages, that would be awesome for certain threads! 🥰💫

I can do exactly that. 

Wow!

The face of the sun certainly bloomed during the (Texas) night! And of course the Saharan dust cloud has thickened up quite a bit. Makes for a beautiful sunrise! It’s even Pink in the west. The moonrise tonight should be awesome! But the viewing today… Atleast the spots are bigger… lol!

The face of the sun almost reminds me of a kid with acne, the day after being all stressed and eating half a dozen chocolate bars! 

1 hour ago, WildWill said:

Wow!

The face of the sun certainly bloomed during the (Texas) night! And of course the Saharan dust cloud has thickened up quite a bit. Makes for a beautiful sunrise! It’s even Pink in the west. The moonrise tonight should be awesome! But the viewing today… Atleast the spots are bigger… lol!

The face of the sun almost reminds me of a kid with acne, the day after being all stressed and eating half a dozen chocolate bars! 

In the Case of AR 3031 I sadly have to disagree, take a look :

3f5597ac2257b4f072c692250011de7f.png

this was the region before I went to bed
now it looks like this
4667466bd7a787902d28bcc7e45a0c3a.png

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

In the Case of AR 3031 I sadly have to disagree, take a look :

3f5597ac2257b4f072c692250011de7f.png

this was the region before I went to bed
now it looks like this
4667466bd7a787902d28bcc7e45a0c3a.png

I agree that some of the spots have lost some contrast and definition, a couple are still very we

l defined with a lot of contrast, but they all look “bigger” to me. 3031 does look like parts of it are fading…. No argument there. Still the spots look bigger to me than 16 hrs ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newbie said:

A magnetic field is characterised by poles, opposite ends, called north and south. Magnetic polarity refers to the orientation of these poles in space. Eg. - +; +-. North is negative, South is positive. Think of a bar magnet with its field lines which run North and South.

Sunspots have magnetic polarities or orientations. They can be -+ or +-. RED/BLUE or BLUE/RED. ALPHA spots are single polarity all RED or all BLUE, and are the most simple. 

With BETA classification there is no mixing of polarities, there are distinct areas for the red bits and blue bits.They are clearly separated. With GAMMA classification, there is a mixing of polarities. There are no distinct areas for the red bits and blue bits. They are no longer clearly separated - blue bits and red bits everywhere. Gamma is more complex than Beta. 

Sunspots are like bundles of magnetic flux rope twisting and bending in response to other bundles of magnetic flux rope. The closer the bundles are to each other, the more likely it is that these flux ropes will break, causing an explosion. This is more likely to occur when there is a mixing of polarities. 

Then there is DELTA classification. Opposite polarity spots are so close to each other that one is inside the penumbra of the other spot. Red inside a blue spot and blue inside a red spot. They are very likely to explode because of the amount of twisting and bending caused by the proximity of the opposing magnetic fields. Shear is greatest here because the magnetic fields around the delta spots can push the north south magnetic field lines horizontal in surrounding areas. Bending, twisting, breaking and BANG! 

N.

I really appreciate this as well, especially being new to Sun Worshipping! Kudos to you!

Thank you very much! 

As an aside, on earth what we call the North Pole is actually the South Pole (North Pole is +, South Pole is -!).  So what we call the North Pole is really the south magnetic pole and vice versa! This is because the term “north” and the compass came long before the theory of magnetism and was so widely used!  And once the term North was defined in Physics/magnetism - so many people had adopted the terminology that when it was finally realized that the earth’s magnetic no the pole is at hothead South Pole it was too late.  Further aside, the magnetometer in my mount (telescope) aligns itself with the South Pole (what we call the South Pole) as the South Pole seems to move less and is closer to the geographic South Pole. At least in recent times…

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

I remember running into this north/south confusion when I was a teen.  Around the same time I realized that schematic symbols for electronics (diodes, bipolar transistors) are drawn backwards from the direction current actually flows.

The reason they are backwards is that we like to think of electricity flowing from a positive source to negative drain.  In fact, it flows in the opposite direction, from the negative terminal of a battery to the positive terminal. It turns out that this doesn't matter in most cases. You can continue to think of it flowing from positive to negative.  The only time this gets sticky is if you're working with devices where the direction of flow matters. So if you're working with magnetics and you care about the polarity of the field (which is rare), then you have to put on your physics hat and get it right. Most of the time it doesn't matter.

This "error" goes back to Benjamin Franklin. Until Franklin did his experiments it was believed that something could be electrically charged or not. Either charged or neutral. It was through Franklin's experiments that he discovered there were two kinds of charge and no charge. He called one kind positive and the other negative.  No one knew what these charges were from or how they came about. He had a 50/50 chance and got it backwards from what would have been a better scheme.

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I wonder why the Background flux is tanking. has the region lost its complexity?

3030/3032 may have lost somewhat, although 3031 looks good. Also, it’s still decently high. Exciting things can happen when the flux isn’t C-class all day, that’s pretty rare.