Region 3031

MinYoongi

1 hour ago, Yak said:

I mean what is the difference between all the configurations, I don't really know how to interpret that data

If you will pardon the following analogy, perhaps this can help. (not a complete picture)

The red colors are positive charges, or like crests of a wave, and blue is negative, like dips of a wave. There is turbulence and currents, just like an ocean, and their vortexes and whirlpools create friction and tension, like the crashing of waves on a rocky cliff. However instead of water, its plasma and heat and electrons caught in loops. 

Electrons caught in loops will release their energy through radios waves, and when the friction and tension become too much (like a volcano) the energy is released through solar flares, X-rays, CMEs, and high energy protons. The positive and negative spots are the loops, coming up and going down into the Sun's convection zone. 

This is how I understand it, but I'm not an expert or scientist. Also, welcome to the forum!

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Yak said:

I mean what is the difference between all the configurations, I don't really know how to interpret that data

There is a good explanation in the help section of SWL on their home page top RHS.

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Just came here to say this. But a Region on the SW limb flared too, looked bright too.. i still think 3031 was the main cause :) 
Eruptive?

Good call Min. It was 3031 and very eruptive, straight up and down virtually. 

N.

Edit: Haha impulsive,  not eruptive also good call :) Min.

Edited by Newbie
Boo boo
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

20 minutes ago, Newbie said:

There is a good explanation in the help section of SWL on their home page top RHS.

Good call Min. It was 3031 and very eruptive, straight up and down virtually. 

N.

very eruptive? is there already any coronagraph imagery? Earth directed? 🤞

or did u mean impulsive? :D 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

very eruptive? is there already any coronagraph imagery? Earth directed? 🤞

or did u mean impulsive? 

Impulsive, sorry, :) I read your post and thought you meant impulsive! Need breakfast to function properly. Eruptive, not so much. 

N.

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Honestly, i cant keep track of what is flaring and what not. often all regions or atleast more than 1 flare almost at the same time. But in SUVI this looks to be flaring on and off.

SolarSoft usually give an indication of where flares originate.

I think it's still listed as Beta?

9 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Its Beta Gamma. Never trust Noaa Assignments

And another flare in the making it seems.

Looks eruptive / looks like something moving in the corona 

And its centre disk sooo... most likely earth directed? 

If this is from that flare, looks like a partial-to full-halo CME, front or back, decently fast. 

8946AA55-E908-4FD6-8C8D-936EDEF146BB.jpeg

9 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Its Beta Gamma. Never trust Noaa Assignments

And another flare in the making it seems.

Looks eruptive / looks like something moving in the corona 

And its centre disk sooo... most likely earth directed? 

That’s a decent CME, but I don’t actually see much in the way of flares over the last 6 hours… where did this come from? Are we sure it’s not farside?

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1

This thing is glowing like a christmas light.

Ain’t she beautiful!

Just a few days ago, we had our first spotless day of the year, and look at that beautiful spotted face now! In the last month and a half I’ve seen this pattern multiple times. The face is covered in spots, which fade or rotate off the limb, with no new ones coming into view or developing on the earth facing side.  Then a quiet day or two and then we have a face covered in spots and wild action again.

I have no idea as to why. It would help if we had the same views of the far side of the sun similar to what SDO provides.

Anyway, it’s nice to have the action! Of course, the Saharan dust cloud has moved in and is expected to thicken over the next few days (no kidding! Saharan dust clouds over Texas!).

WW

8 minutes ago, Orneno said:

If this is from that flare, looks like a partial-to full-halo CME, decently fast. 

8946AA55-E908-4FD6-8C8D-936EDEF146BB.jpeg

That’s a decent CME, but I don’t actually see much in the way of flares over the last 6 hours… where did this come from? Are we sure it’s not farside?

Its farsided. Solarham and Noaa Swpc confirmed this.

1 minute ago, WildWill said:

Ain’t she beautiful!

Just a few days ago, we had our first spotless day of the year, and look at that beautiful spotted face now! In the last month and a half I’ve seen this pattern multiple times. The face is covered in spots, which fade or rotate off the limb, with no new ones coming into view or developing on the earth facing side.  Then a quiet day or two and then we have a face covered in spots and wild action again.

I have no idea as to why. It would help if we had the same views of the far side of the sun similar to what SDO provides.

Anyway, it’s nice to have the action! Of course, the Saharan dust cloud has moved in and is expected to thicken over the next few days (no kidding! Saharan dust clouds over Texas!).

WW

We frequently get the saharan dust in Europe :) it sometimes caused red rain. It does make sunset really pretty too. 

Oh what i would give for nice farside imagery..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mozy said:

Oh the teasing, can it reach the M-range already 😅

Oooh you teasing me, youre naughty naughty 😵💫😅 

Youve been so quiet lately, mozy! Glad to see you around here more often again 😊

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Youve been so quiet lately, mozy! Glad to see you around here more often again 😊

I mean, not much to talk about when the sun's sleeping ^^

I'm starting to like the look of this region, might be producing some low M-class flares soon enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozy said:

I mean, not much to talk about when the sun's sleeping ^^

I'm starting to like the look of this region, might be producing some low M-class flares soon enough

Development has slowed down since yesterday but i think its getting more complex. Can you maybe show where the mixing is good? I just wanna confirm if i got better at telling 😅😅

Its farsided. Solarham and Noaa Swpc confirmed this.

We frequently get the saharan dust in Europe :) it sometimes caused red rain. It does make sunset really pretty too. 

Oh what i would give for nice farside imagery..

We’ve got a super moon tonight as well. Should make for a beautiful moon rise as well!

I am right there with you on the far side - I really wish. I would like to be able to view it as a flat projection which covers the whole sun, like the “far side” magnetic imagery we see with the visible side shown on either side.

I would also really like to see a 3D image, which one can rotate, animate, zoom in, etc - like Google earth.

If wishes were fishes, we’d all be fishing…

WW

Surprisingly, the sunspots seem to have more contrast and definition than yesterday. Pretty much across the face of the sun. I kinda expected the opposite with the dust layer moving in. But, through my telescope, from here, that’s the way it looks! 

2 hours ago, WildWill said:

Surprisingly, the sunspots seem to have more contrast and definition than yesterday. Pretty much across the face of the sun. I kinda expected the opposite with the dust layer moving in. But, through my telescope, from here, that’s the way it looks! 

I wanted to take a look on SDO but SDO is down since 16:45 UTC.
well, not down, but not uploading new images. -.-

UUUUGHHHH get your shit together SDO.
Does someone know whats up with no new images uploading?