AR2992: X2.25 flare!

Sam Warfel

Some surprise activity from this small AR on the west limb, it’s given 1 M-class flare and a C7, if I remember all of them. 

The M-class appears to have been eruptive, CME is not expected to have an Earth-directed component. 

CME from the M1. Kinda slow, but decent. 

image.png.61b810c8e1377be11a5dc184ee8dc345.png

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just now, Orneno said:

Another M1 from this AR… sad it’s leaving 😭

Maybe it will revisit us! I dont think its that complex.. but its a nice thought.

It's funny that whenever the Flux has risen in the last Week i was 100% Certain it was the east region/s, but now i always directly go and check SUVI to make sure :D !

I really miss STEREO B in cases like this, or even a true farside satellite. It would be really nice to be able to see if this region grows even more after it rotated away from us. It sure did show a lot of activity.

1 hour ago, arjemma said:

I really miss STEREO B in cases like this, or even a true farside satellite. It would be really nice to be able to see if this region grows even more after it rotated away from us. It sure did show a lot of activity.

Yes, do you perhaps know if some Stereo-b replacement is in planning?

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Thats really sad.

Hmmmm, yes, it is somehow funny and also sad. There you shoot cars into space and dozens or hundreds of satellites around the earth each year, even though we
already have masses of space junk flying around us! But for a new and well positioned pair of STEREO A+B there is apparently no more money and interest available...

Regards, Chris

ESA and NASA missions have a long planning phase where there has to be a clear mission goal for science objectives. The goal is not to observe the Sun 24/7 in these missions. When missions are planned they have to get funding, issue with ESA and NASA is that they depend on governments to provide funding. If the missions aren’t good enough for politicians there’s no funding. Politicians likely think space weather is something far away and don’t need that funding but going back to the moon is something big and bold and does get the funds. Solar orbiter for example has a specific objective for science to learn more about our star but it isn’t an observation station as it lacks the funding for that, it has the science goals that need to be achieved.
SOHO had its mission objective to be completed in 2 mission years, nothing more. Luckily it has been extended and got the extra funding to still be active today.
Same with SDO, it took a lot of years before it finally could replace SOHO HMI imagery. And we still need to wait at least two years for a replacement of LASCO. Just to say it takes many many years to get replacements and thus also many years for new missions like STEREO.
Because of that we don’t have more in space to observe space weather and why there’s no more specific space weather satellites up there. 

maybe we need, like in the space 2.0, commercial companies that build sats that can do a lot more than just the scientific value but actual continuous monitoring stations at various points. But likely that’s a far from their beds show… rather shoot a Tesla in space and get a lot of attention is a more big thing 😜

• Like 3

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Haha, I think it's so funny. I see the X-Ray Flux rise, i suspect its the Eastern Cluster, BAM. Its 2992.

Looks like an eruptive one aswell, possibly higher than the current values since It's almost fully hidden at this point

14 minutes ago, mozy said:

Looks like an eruptive one aswell, possibly higher than the current values since It's almost fully hidden at this point

Do you think it's rotated that far off? Im not too sure its occulted already

now the other region is joining in on the fun.. ill be switching to its topic ;) 

23 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Yes, do you perhaps know if some Stereo-b replacement is in planning?

I have read the same as Sanders that there isn’t anything particular planned. It’s a funding thing for sure. Someone should get Elon Musk more interested in protecting his satellites so he maybe funds some new sun observing satellites. 

Anyways it’s fun to see that 2992 is so active now.

3 minutes ago, arjemma said:

I have read the same as Sanders that there isn’t anything particular planned. It’s a funding thing for sure. Someone should get Elon Musk more interested in protecting his satellites so he maybe funds some new sun observing satellites. 

Anyways it’s fun to see that 2992 is so active now.

Elon Musk should but the sun so we can have lot's of sun activity and an insane SC 😂🤣

My bad- that was off topic 😂

• Haha 1