G3 storm

Sam Warfel
Go to solution Solved by Solarflaretracker200,

A solid stretch of strong southerly Bz has sparked a G1 storm. 

I went out looking, and have successfully observed the green glow from an Aurora backlighting the gaps in the hazy clouds that are unfortunately covering my area. I’ll post photos tomorrow after I sleep. 

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Un tramo sólido de fuerte Bz del sur ha provocado una tormenta G1. 

Salí a buscar y observé con éxito el resplandor verde de una aurora iluminando los espacios en las nubes brumosas que desafortunadamente cubren mi área. Publicaré fotos mañana después de dormir. 

now a geomagnetic storm, g2

Just now, Isatsuki San said:

on the live show is it daytime or is it the aurora borealis what does it look like during the day?

It’s twilight, somewhere between day and night.  The aurora is not remotely visible during the full day. 

Honestly, KP7 seems excessive, I’d call this a KP6 tbh

4 minutes ago, Orneno said:

It’s twilight, somewhere between day and night.  The aurora is not remotely visible during the full day. 

Honestly, KP7 seems excessive, I’d call this a KP6 tbh

Agree, this does not look like KP7 at all.

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

G1, fácilmente, G2, probablemente, pero el poder hemisférico parece haber alcanzado un máximo de 88, considero que 100 es un G3. Tampoco parece un evento lo suficientemente duradero como para llegar a lo que yo consideraría más normal para G3.

I don't know, but I would agree with you since it seems that the bz is getting north a bit, so we'll see

• Like 1

Steve has been making an appearance across western Canada. 

it was dancing pretty darn good earlier too, but has since calmed down a bit. I’ve been contemplating if it’s worth getting out of bed and going to shoot some photos….. I really should of done it an hour ago. 

Can someone explain to me why this CH sparked a G3? Im confused. 

Also had to block almost 5 Fearmongers so..yeah.. 😕

1 hour ago, KW2P said:

Needless to say, the NOAA K-index forecast was WAAAY off again. Fortunately, I have no activities on radio planned until tomorrow afternoon, when it should have settled down.

No one really expected that. Can we stop bashing Noaa?:D

Ps: i remember we had such an event before!

• Like 1

This was really hard to predict so I don't blame NOAA, I think we should be careful with doing so. Predicting how several small ICME's would hit is really hard. We only know how they look when they leave the sun and then how they affect DSCOVR and ACE. There have been several eruptions with potential to hit earth but it was hard to tell how much of them would hit. I think this is a combination of several ICME's that combined led to a fairly big disturbance in our magnetic field.
I'm not so sure how much the CH HSS influenced this, it feels like it was a bit early for it to hit. This is most likely a combination of several things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arjemma said:

This was really hard to predict so I don't blame NOAA, I think we should be careful with doing so. Predicting how several small ICME's would hit is really hard. We only know how they look when they leave the sun and then how they affect DSCOVR and ACE. There have been several eruptions with potential to hit earth but it was hard to tell how much of them would hit. I think this is a combination of several ICME's that combined led to a fairly big disturbance in our magnetic field.
I'm not so sure how much the CH HSS influenced this, it feels like it was a bit early for it to hit. This is most likely a combination of several things.

I absolutely share that opinion! I remember that last year something similiar happened. It was also a very brief dip into G3 if im seeing this correctly.

Im just a bit confused how this could rattle us so much.. Should i be worried for bigger storms now?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I absolutely share that opinion! I remember that last year something similiar happened. It was also a very brief dip into G3 if im seeing this correctly.

Im just a bit confused how this could rattle us so much.. Should i be worried for bigger storms now?

Yea I remember that too, I'm sure this is not the first time. We aren't that good at predicting geomagnetic storms after all. The technology gets better and better though so that is good.

This came as a surprise for sure but I don't think you should worry. Think about autumn in 2003 when we had severe geomagnetic storming. We survived that one and a lot of people that were alive then didn't even notice it. There will be bigger storms coming in the future as we are approaching solar maximum but it's very rare that a big Carrington Event would occur and what we have now is nothing compared to that. We are well protected down here and as long as you aren't an astronaut doing some space walking when it hits you are safe 😊

• Thanks 1

Just now, arjemma said:

Yea I remember that too, I'm sure this is not the first time. We aren't that good at predicting geomagnetic storms after all. The technology gets better and better though so that is good.

This came as a surprise for sure but I don't think you should worry. Think about autumn in 2003 when we had severe geomagnetic storming. We survived that one and a lot of people that were alive then didn't even notice it. There will be bigger storms coming in the future as we are approaching solar maximum but it's very rare that a big Carrington Event would occur and what we have now is nothing compared to that. We are well protected down here and as long as you aren't an astronaut doing some space walking when it hits you are safe 😊

Just a lot of People on the Internet talking about how our Magnetic Shield might be broken/declining because of the G3 sparked by minor Impact.. it get's so tiring. Im exhausted.

I agree with you :) its just the "if this could Spark a G3 i dont want to see a stronger CME hit" thought that crossed my mind. 

Im gonna take a day off twitter for sure 😵💫😂

• Like 1