AR2936

LunarLights58

31 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Let's hope it doesn't do that during an X flare or something šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m loving this Beta-gamma-delta though, I think it may be the longest-lasting one of the SC that I can remember!

Thats what i worried, I did'nt wanna miss a flare since its so active!

About the longest-lasting Beta-Gamma-Delta :Ā Definately.

I think we only got like 3 Regions with that layout so far? And all of them died down within not even a day or so.

SO @Orneno, you talked about low hopes for the CME.

May elaborate on that? I saw some youtubers forecasting G2-G3! Noaa didnt say anything about it really, on twitter i've seen people talk about it being a glancing blow rather than a full on hit.

Anyways, my fingers are crossed.

My hopes in seeing northern lights in germany are almost gone tho.. Winter is ending soon and its not dark enough anymore due to Lightpollution in my area and the days becoming longer again.

Ā 

Edit : Attached picture of the CME Scoreboard 9fa27f055580be78f4d56ec28fc2fd5d.thumb.png.c2b53fbba49014e503d8787e06401abf.png

Edited by MinYoongi
Forgot to attach Picture

4 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

It's like the calm before the storm... how weird

Not weird, the delta spot is pretty tiny and less strong than yesterday before the M-class solar flare. Also the penumbral area also shrunk a bit making a bigger gap between the two polarities of the region. So its normal activity went down a bit.

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Not weird, the delta spot is pretty tiny and less strong than yesterday before the M-class solar flare. Also the penumbral area also shrunk a bit making a bigger gap between the two polarities of the region. So its normal activity went down a bit.

True true, maybe my weather side of me is kicking in (I use to watch weather as much as I do with space weather now and when things would go quiet with weather, you would know things are about to go nuts) because it just seems weird for things to go quiet but yeah its probably my weather side of me kicking in lol

7 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

I saw some youtubers forecasting G2-G3!

And they are space weather experts? Donā€™t listen to YouTubers that arenā€™t experts in the field. NOAZ didnā€™t say anything indeed because they first wait till all data is there to make a prediction that is as accurate as possible. We also wait till there are predictions made by official organisations before making any assumptions. But YouTubers kick on their views and make a fuzz to make views (and money)

looking at the predictions made by space weather official organisations we see a Kp possibility of 3 to 6, so max G2. Much will depend on the arrival time and conditions of the IMF at arrival, current lead time also varies between 49 and 71 hours.

3 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

True true, maybe my weather side of me is kicking in (I use to watch weather as much as I do with space weather now and when things would go quiet with weather, you would know things are about to go nuts) because it just seems weird for things to go quiet but yeah its probably my weather side of me kicking in lol

Space weather is a bit different than Earth weather and more unpredictable. Iā€™ve seen big huge delta deltas that where capable of producing major X-class and didnā€™t do a thing and vice versa.

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

May elaborate on that? I saw some youtubers forecasting G2-G3! Noaa didnt say anything about it really, on twitter i've seen people talk about it being a glancing blow rather than a full on hit.

My hopes in seeing northern lights in germany are almost gone tho.. Winter is ending soon and its not dark enough anymore due to Lightpollution in my area and the days becoming longer again.

Ā 

Edit : Attached picture of the CME Scoreboard 9fa27f055580be78f4d56ec28fc2fd5d.thumb.png.c2b53fbba49014e503d8787e06401abf.png

G2/G3 would be cool. I have no idea how to gauge the strength of a CME when just guessing, it looked kinda slow but that may just be because it was pointed at the camera. I hope the optimistic predictions are correct!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Iā€™ve seen big huge delta deltas that where capable of producing major X-class and didnā€™t do a thing and vice versa.

Huh that is interesting.

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Space weather is a bit different than Earth weather

Yeah lol. Sometimes I have to remind myself that every once in awhile šŸ˜…

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Ā 

As to your diminishing hopes, stay optimistic! Activity is continually increasing, and if we got a bright storm you could see it, plus Iā€™m guessing youā€™re not above the Arctic Circle and still get some nighttime hoursĀ 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Orneno said:

As to your diminishing hopes, stay optimistic! Activity is continually increasing, and if we got a bright storm you could see it, plus Iā€™m guessing youā€™re not above the Arctic Circle and still get some nighttime hoursĀ 

Thank you for the heads upĀ šŸ˜šŸ„°

Will be visiting Family in Denmark again this year around autumn, lets hopeĀ šŸ™ˆ

25 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

And they are space weather experts? Donā€™t listen to YouTubers that arenā€™t experts in the field. NOAZ didnā€™t say anything indeed because they first wait till all data is there to make a prediction that is as accurate as possible. We also wait till there are predictions made by official organisations before making any assumptions. But YouTubers kick on their views and make a fuzz to make views (and money)

26 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Ā 

looking at the predictions made by space weather official organisations we see a Kp possibility of 3 to 6, so max G2. Much will depend on the arrival time and conditions of the IMF at arrival, current lead time also varies between 49 and 71 hours.

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah, I know theyre not experts. Not talking about the usual Fearmongers (Ben Davidson, yuck) here.

Just normal space weather related channels with high hopes :)Ā 

Thats why I edited to attach the predictionsĀ šŸ„°

Ā 

• Like 2

The maximum of SC25 is getting closer anyways. It's not like one region is all we'll get. It may be disappointing when one falls short, but regions come and go. There will be plenty more chances for CME's and geomagnetic storming, even throughout just 2022. This is something I tell myself whenever I'm disappointed by lackluster space weather.Ā 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Oh! I was thinking that today or tomorrow there was going to be a X flare as the activity was going down (bcoz same happened to AR2887 one day before X flare).

11 uren geleden, Orneno zei:

Aww, so much for long lived beta-gamma-delta. Itā€™s downgraded to just gamma. Seems that one M1 was all it could muster.Ā 

Just Beta. There are no more magnetic delta structures (umbra in penumbra of opposite polarities) and the polarities are clearly separated (no mixing) so no gamma. You might be able to argue Beta-Gamma due to there being a bit of positive polarity penumbra among the trailing spots but its so minor I guess Beta is fair.

10 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Just Beta. There are no more magnetic delta structures (umbra in penumbra of opposite polarities) and the polarities are clearly separated (no mixing) so no gamma. You might be able to argue Beta-Gamma due to there being a bit of positive polarity penumbra among the trailing spots but its so minor I guess Beta is fair.

So is the spot dead then? It could it red-develop?

5 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

So is the spot dead then? It could it red-develop?

I would not say dead, it can always develop new flux but based on what I see right now, the chance of further M-class activity seems very low.

The three day solar flare (sorry its in Dutch) graph says the whole story. The background flux was increasing to the point it was in or very close to the C-range when it had the BGD magnetic layout but now that it lost the Delta you see how the background flux is trending down to the mid B-range.Ā zonnevlammen.png

• Thanks 1

For the administrators...Ā 

Sunspot 2936 Ā January 21

January 21 (09:30)

January 19 (19:00) - 21 (23:30), 2022 Triple Line Up Ceres ā€“Ā  Mercury - Mars

January 19 (19:15) - 29 (14:00), 2022 Triple Line Up Pluto - Juno ā€“ Earth

January 19 (19:00) - 21 (23:30), 2022 Triple Line Up Ceres ā€“Ā  Mercury - Mars

January 21 (09:30) ā€“ 22 (02:00), 2021: Opposition Mercury - Juno across the Sun

January 21 (21:45) ā€“ 22 (14:00), 2021: Opposition Mercury - Pluto across the Sun

Ā 

The Triple January 27 (05:00) ā€“ February 1 (02:30), 2021 Triple Line Up Pluto ā€“ Mercury - Earth ENDS early February 1

Conclusion: Sunspot 2936 is already going down because the Triple has past it strongest alignment and will go down even more January 1!

Possible new flux LATE January 4

February 4 (17:15) - 12 (03:15), 2021 Triple Line Up Venus ā€“ Mercury - Juno

Ā 

February 1

December 2 (13:15) -Ā  February 8 (21:45), 2022 Triple Line Up Jupiter ā€“ Pallas ā€“ Ceres

January 7 (12:00) ā€“ February 2 (13:15), 2022 Triple Line Up Saturn - Juno ā€“Ā  Mars

January 27 (05:00) ā€“ February 1 (02:30), 2021 Triple Line Up Pluto ā€“ Mercury - Earth

January 28 (09:15) ā€“ February 17 (10:15), 2022: Conjunction Pluto - Juno and the Sun

January 28 (19:00) ā€“ February 7 (18:30), 2022 Triple Line Up Vesta ā€“ Venus - Earth

February 1 (20:30) ā€“ 2 (19:15), 2021: Opposition Mercury - Neptune across the Sun

Ā February 2

December 2 (13:15) -Ā  February 8 (21:45), 2022 Triple Line Up Jupiter ā€“ Pallas ā€“ Ceres

January 7 (12:00) ā€“ February 2 (13:15), 2022 Triple Line Up Saturn - Juno ā€“Ā  Mars

January 28 (09:15) ā€“ February 17 (10:15), 2022: Conjunction Pluto - Juno and the Sun

January 28 (19:00) ā€“ February 7 (18:30), 2022 Triple Line Up Vesta ā€“ Venus - Earth

February 1 (20:30) ā€“ 2 (19:15), 2021: Opposition Mercury - Neptune across the Sun

February 2 (18:30) ā€“ 7 (20:00), 2021: Opposition Saturn - Earth across the Sun

Ā February 3

February 2 (18:30) ā€“ 7 (20:00), 2021: Opposition Saturn - Earth across the Sun

February 4

February 4 (17:15) - 12 (03:15), 2021 Triple Line Up Venus ā€“ Mercury - Juno

On 1/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, MinYoongi said:

Anyone has a guess why GOES wont update?

right when i type this, data comes back in. FmlĀ šŸ˜…

Ā 

On 1/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, MinYoongi said:

Yeah, I remember like 2 years ago it had regular 2 hour long disruptions.Ā šŸ˜Ŗ

Well, you might feel silly now as I explain this, but it's because it passes behind the Earth and can't see the Sun. It goes around the Earth in geostationary orbit after all.

3 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Ā 

Well, you might feel silly now as I explain this, but it's because it passes behind the Earth and can't see the Sun. It goes around the Earth in geostationary orbit after all.

Oh itā€™s geostationary? I thought it was L1ā€¦ but yeah thatā€™s not GOES, itā€™s the other space weather craft like DSCOVR ACE SOHO STEREO (well STEREO is not at L1, itā€™s on a heliocentric orbit a bit ahead of Earth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

Oh itā€™s geostationary? I thought it was L1ā€¦ but yeah thatā€™s not GOES, itā€™s the other space weather craft like DSCOVR ACE SOHO STEREO (well STEREO is not at L1, itā€™s on a heliocentric orbit a bit ahead of Earth

GOES means "Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite"

All the solar flare data on SWL is from the GOES satellites. The primary is GOES-16, but you are able to look at the data from GOES-17 when the primary is eclipsed, since the two satellites are in different positions around the Earth.

Screenshots_2022-02-01-23-08-15.png

• Thanks 1