AR2936

LunarLights58

31 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

Actually Beta-Delta, but certainly becoming more active, with six C class flares so far today.

Oh you're right, I can't read 😅

On 1/26/2022 at 11:27 AM, Orneno said:

Sorry, I’m just wishing we had more *real sunspots* (cough cough, you hear that, 2936?)

Yeah, it heard you haha

• Like 1

1 uur terug, Chris, HB9DFG zei:

Hello all

Why has Spaceweather Live defined 2936 as a "beta" while Jan Alvestad (solen.info) has it as a "beta-gamma-delta" in the list? It's a big difference, so who is right?

Regards, Chris

Jan Alvestad does high resolution calculations. You can clearly see it was beta-gamma-delta at midnight. However, complex sunspots change rapidly. It is a bit weaker now. Anyway, my prediction that it would become complex is right! The only complex one from this month!

• Thanks 1

1 uur geleden, Chris, HB9DFG zei:

Why has Spaceweather Live defined 2936 as a "beta" while Jan Alvestad (solen.info) has it as a "beta-gamma-delta" in the list?

SWPC is sometimes behind with their magnetic classification, keep in mind they only update it once a day normally so when a sunspot region evolves quickly its less accurate.  That's why it's convenient to learn how to classify sunspot regions to see what the real magnetic classification is at that moment.

So you'll need to ask a few questions (simply said):

• Is it easy to draw a line between the two polarities? (yes = beta, no = beta-gamma)
  • Is there a spot of opposite polarity in the penumbral area of a sunspot? (yes = beta-gamma-delta, no = beta-gamma)

So for this region: no, we can't easily draw a line anymore between the two polarities so it's sure is beta-gamma at least. And oh my yes it has a delta spot! so it is beta-gamma-delta.

2936-HMIIF.jpg2936-HMIIB.jpg

16 minuten geleden, Vancanneyt Sander zei:

So you'll need to ask a few questions (simply said):

• Is it easy to draw a line between the two polarities? (yes = beta, no = beta-gamma)
  • Is there a spot of opposite polarity in the penumbral area of a sunspot? (yes = beta-gamma-delta, no = beta-gamma)

So for this region: no, we can't easily draw a line anymore between the two polarities so it's sure is beta-gamma at least. And oh my yes it has a delta spot! so it is beta-gamma-delta.

Got several calculations about coming complex sunspots right… When will I get some help? Or will you be stuck to theories that don’t work?

4 minuten geleden, Patrick Geryl zei:

Got several calculations about coming complex sunspots right… When will I get some help? Or will you be stuck to theories that don’t work?

magnetic classification of sunspots isn't a theory but still a fact...
Also: several calculations right, but you don't give a percentage of accuracy and thus it's still a very vague theory 😉 once you get +90% accuracy (with proof) then we'll talk again.

1 uur geleden, Vancanneyt Sander zei:

magnetic classification of sunspots isn't a theory but still a fact...
Also: several calculations right, but you don't give a percentage of accuracy and thus it's still a very vague theory 😉 once you get +90% accuracy (with proof) then we'll talk again.

Look, wrote in coming sunspots that only 2 sunspots where a candidate to become complex = beta-gamma-delta. Got it right for the first. Wrote clearly before it became complex that it was a serious candidate. That is far from vague. Second on the Farside, but stereo not working… Will update for February. 
with a bit of help, it can go very fast…

50 minuten geleden, 3gMike zei:

What sort of help are you seeking?

I give the alignments and possible sunspots and you calculate it for every sunspot each month.

you have the formula for 2936. Also the alignments. Fill in red the new alignments that are in the formula and place here. See “coming sunspots”

(PDF) Electromagnetic Waves and Solar Killshots

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/355037930_Electromagnetic_Waves_and_Solar_Killshots

Edited by Patrick Geryl

21 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

AR 2936 is huge! Look at the size! This is the biggest region I have seen so far! Holy mother

It’s the biggest of this year so far, not the biggest of this cycle and 4 times smaller than the biggest regions since 1996. See the top 25 biggest sunspot regions page on SWL to find out.

19 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It’s the biggest of this year so far, not the biggest of this cycle and 4 times smaller than the biggest regions since 1996. See the top 25 biggest sunspot regions page on SWL to find out.

I’m surprised it’s not the biggest of this cycle actually, it must be near the top though. The only other big spots this SC that I can remember were simple Alphas, just large. This might be one of the only big and complex spots so far?