My data on tracking solar flares

Solarflaretracker200

Hey everyone so since Nov 2nd I have been tracking solar flares.... but I chose I wanted to go to OCT- to currently. I know this sounds kinda stupid but let me explain. I originally wanted to start tracking in Nov but around Nov 23rd I went further back and started in Oct*. So here is the graph I made so far: 

*I am still working on this and a few days are not totally correct. 

Solar flares in a day.png

I also count the solar flares that are not counted. Not tiny ones but bigger ones.

What I find interesting here is that most days the solar flares go down then up higher the next day. Does anyone have any idea why this happens? 

Edited by Solarflaretracker200

42 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

What I find interesting here is that most days the solar flares go down then up higher the next day. Does anyone have any idea why this happens? 

It will always go up and down depending on the magnetic complexity of a sunspot region. It can’t be a constant 😉

44 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

I also count the solar flares that are not counted. Not tiny ones but bigger ones.

That’s pretty vague. I assume C and up? Why count extra and how did you determine those, did you cross check those with SDO imagery for confirmation?

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It will always go up and down depending on the magnetic complexity of a sunspot region. It can’t be a constant 😉

Yeah I figured something like that was the cause. 

3 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That’s pretty vague. I assume C and up? Why count extra and how did you determine those, did you cross check those with SDO imagery for confirmation?

No, but I am going to go through the data today and do that. What I have done to count the "extra" or "Not counted" is here: https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/solar-flares.html and count the extra ones. 

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I assume C and up?

Yes, C class and up. Or lets say it's A5.5 and does a big jump to B9.9 I would count that. But I won't count something like a B9.0 to B9.1. But yes mostly C and up. 

1 hour ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Yeah I figured something like that was the cause. 

No, but I am going to go through the data today and do that. What I have done to count the "extra" or "Not counted" is here: https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/solar-flares.html and count the extra ones. 

Yes, C class and up. Or lets say it's A5.5 and does a big jump to B9.9 I would count that. But I won't count something like a B9.0 to B9.1. But yes mostly C and up. 

This is really wild. I like visuals. It will be awesome to see the patterns develop as you keep plotting data points. Anyone think February and March we will be seeing some crazy breaks in patterns and some wild space weather? 

1 minute ago, FairyG said:

It will be awesome to see the patterns develop as you keep plotting data points.

Yeah it would, and as we get closer and closer to solar max (which is still a few years away) the plots will probably grow and there will be less big dips. If there are dips they may not go to complete zero.   

Like the second dip on the chart

19 hours ago, FairyG said:

Anyone think February and March we will be seeing some crazy breaks in patterns and some wild space weather? 

Who knows we may see that or we may not lol. 🤷‍♂️

I think it all depends on the solar activity and sunspots. (Is that right @Vancanneyt Sanderor is that wrong?)

1 uur geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

I think it all depends on the solar activity and sunspots. (Is that right @Vancanneyt Sanderor is that wrong?)

In space weather we can't predict solar activity in the future (only an estimate of the smoothed sunspot number which of course isn't accurate). Just be patient, active periods will come some day 😉. It will all depend on the sunspot regions that we'll get then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

In space weather we can't predict solar activity in the future (only an estimate of the smoothed sunspot number which of course isn't accurate). Just be patient, active periods will come some day 😉. It will all depend on the sunspot regions that we'll get then. 

This is kind of frightening. I thought if the sun has its rotation that every time certain part of it faced us would yield similar patterns in numbers and intensity of sunspots, but I can see why so many factors would make it hard to predict.

Someone will have to figure out a way to calculate a predictability model with some accuracy at some point.

I am still trying to understand what causes a sunspot to make a CME and what the factors need to be occuring with planetary alignment and magnetic pull to produce the x class kind, which are my favorite.  There must be some kind of formula existing, no?

4 hours ago, FairyG said:

Esto es un poco aterrador. Pensé que si el sol tiene su rotación, cada vez que cierta parte de él nos mira produciría patrones similares en el número y la intensidad de las manchas solares, pero puedo ver por qué tantos factores harían que fuera difícil de predecir.

Alguien tendrá que encontrar una manera de calcular un modelo de previsibilidad con cierta precisión en algún momento.

Todavía estoy tratando de entender qué causa que una mancha solar forme una CME y qué factores deben ocurrir con la alineación planetaria y la atracción magnética para producir el tipo de clase x, que son mis favoritos. Debe existir algún tipo de fórmula, ¿no?

I will try to explain as best as possible, the sun every 11 years its magnetic field desornces created small magnetic field making solar spots, composed of its plama surface and the CME is created due to the protons that releases the magnetic field of the Solar spot and some From this explosions of the Solar spot, it comes with Sopresas that would be the eleterons that releases the MYX class solar calls that ontrophones are due to their internal core that is like merger nuclea, and I must say, that there is no evidence that the alignments of the Planets has to do with class X solar flares

4 hours ago, FairyG said:

This is kind of frightening. I thought if the sun has its rotation that every time certain part of it faced us would yield similar patterns in numbers and intensity of sunspots, but I can see why so many factors would make it hard to predict.

Someone will have to figure out a way to calculate a predictability model with some accuracy at some point.

I am still trying to understand what causes a sunspot to make a CME and what the factors need to be occuring with planetary alignment and magnetic pull to produce the x class kind, which are my favorite.  There must be some kind of formula existing, no?

Sanders explained it perfectly just above this message. 

Maybe this is just a coincidence but I noticed in Oct 2021 the solar flares were rising, in Nov 2021 they were low, in Dec 2021 they were high, this month so far they are not low but not high. This seems to be interesting. (What I mean by rising is that there is more in that month and when I mean low I mean there are less in that month) 

• Like 1

I appreciate Vancanneyt Sander post but ...

1.) There is no such thing as magnetic reconnection. New fields are being created but you can never put a broken magnet back together. 

2.) The sun is electric in nature more than a giant random burning nuclear furnace. It is a feedback loop. Hence our common stability from earth facing solar flares.... Our magnetic connection with the star apparently somehow stabilizes magnetic fields of sunspots.  That is not to say other planets/ moons/ comets/ other external forces don't contribute. 

Edited by Kuhnate
Cause I wanna

34 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

look at this big jump in the solar flares per day!

This AR is insane!

1903753580_Solarflaresinaday.thumb.png.0dd80232bab71b455e78ed8f8910630c.png

Last cycle (SC24) had a record of 10 M-class flares and 12 C-class flares on 1 day (even better then SC23 with 9 M-class flares on one day and 8 C-class. That’s more insane 😜

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Last cycle (SC24) had a record of 10 M-class flares and 12 C-class flares on 1 day (even better then SC23 with 9 M-class flares on one day and 8 C-class. That’s more insane 😜

What’s the maximum of X-flares you’ve had in one day?

31 minutes ago, Orneno said:

What’s the maximum of X-flares you’ve had in one day?

A quick look shows that 2001 was most active in recent years with 21 X class over the year, then using the Archive it can be seen that 8 of those arose in April, with 3 occurring on 2nd April. An automated search of the database might show up other instances.

• Thanks 1