some questions as a starter in space weather

FairyG
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

2 minutes ago, FairyG said:

Happened to be researching Saturdays data when the m flare happened today. Weather prediction was for a steady decrease in temperature. In the morning I didn't feel like the sun was as bright as Saturday. Now after that last flare the sun seems soooooooo bright again. So I checked. Look at that spike in UV!!!

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-987168499.jpeg

Flares canā€™t make the sun ā€œseemā€ brighter to the naked eye, the flare Is over anyway. Human eyes canā€™t see UV, so we couldnā€™t detect the spike in UV radiation.Ā 

2 hours ago, FairyG said:

So I looked up some hard data can anyone help me interpret it?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--465754256.jpeg

This is what is going on today.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-187555013.jpeg

Ā 

The time/duration of the spike is prime time for sun exposure based on the angle of the Earth/time of day. I have solar panels, and this burst of UV/Solar Radiation will peak slightly different throughout the year and location. This is normal Sun behavior.Ā 

Ā 

Here is a website with some better descriptions and a small chart of peak times based on locations:Ā Peak Sun Hours: Explanation and Numbers By State (solarreviews.com)

Ā 

I have also thought a M-class flare appeared brighter from experience, and this was why I got interested in this website/topic.

Seeming brighter and being brighter have lots of variables between, including our own eyes. Doubting your own eyes is a good first step :)Ā 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Archmonoth said:

Ā 

The time/duration of the spike is prime time for sun exposure based on the angle of the Earth/time of day. I have solar panels, and this burst of UV/Solar Radiation will peak slightly different throughout the year and location. This is normal Sun behavior.Ā 

Ā 

Here is a website with some better descriptions and a small chart of peak times based on locations:Ā Peak Sun Hours: Explanation and Numbers By State (solarreviews.com)

Ā 

I have also thought a M-class flare appeared brighter from experience, and this was why I got interested in this website/topic.

Seeming brighter and being brighter have lots of variables between, including our own eyes. Doubting your own eyes is a good first step :)Ā 

I looked back throughout the week. Today and Saturday both have the huge spikes. Normal uv readings were also doubled through the day comparatively. The sun is shining brighter since the mFlare popped off as per my observation. Like it really blinds me and it wasn't doing that prior to today's mflare... It's kinda why I got interested in this was because I really felt like I was being blinded on Saturday. It's kinda like that right now too.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--465754256.jpeg

So Feb 6 a filament eruption happened predicted to hit the 10th and look at the UV jump at the night time! Those same types of jumps can be seen on the other days of the m flares but seems to have happened the same days where the filament eruption was supposed to not hit until the 10th. I looked also at the data in Feb 6th...

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--687076806.jpeg

See this is what Feb 6th looked like.

"Blinded by the light" song is stuck in my head right now.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-175780149.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Our brain has waaaay to much control over our senses to trust something seeming slightly different, itā€™s almost certainly all in your head.Ā 

My eyes hurt that's not in my head. The length of time it takes to adjust to the inside lightening after being outside is significantly longer. Plus here is the data from the closest collection site. Huge spike... What were the chances this happened right when I was researching it too??? Hmmm... Cosmic coincidence.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-701963513.jpeg

8 minutes ago, FairyG said:

So Feb 6 a filament eruption happened predicted to hit the 10th and look at the UV jump at the night time! Those same types of jumps can be seen on the other days of the m flares but seems to have happened the same days where the filament eruption was supposed to not hit until the 10th. I looked also at the data in Feb 6th...

Ā 

So, what do non-spike/flare days look like? Are there similar spikes on days without flares? I find the UV spike at night interesting.Ā 

Ā 

If I had to guess, I would say the recorded spikes are caused by ozone/clouds before flares/CME.Ā 

Ā 

As you look over your data, do you see any days with spikes, but no flares?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

41 minutes ago, SAINT said:

Yeah. Your right. That is a big spike. You should publish this studyšŸ˜„

I take my hat off to your igenuity. Great observation.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, SAINT said:

How does clouds or ozone blocks UV light?

Don't doubt your observations.Ā 

Well since they released "brightening" agents into our atmosphere to try and brighten clouds to repel the sun, who really can say for sure. I know on September 11th when they grounded all of the planes worldwide the temperature of Earth dropped so significantly and before that they were trying to make the Earth filled with clouds to try and protect it from the Sun to reduce global warming. What really surprised scientists was the days the planes were grounded and no clouds were being made were significantly cooler to the days when the Earth was cloudy and so they believed that the clouds were actually trapping heat into the Earth but I am not clear about all of that you'd have to check.

As far as ozone goes I am in New York over one of the biggest cities in the United States which urban legend has there is a ozone hole above it, but that's not really science. Could explain though why the spikes are happening here and maybe not other parts of the world.

As far as I can tell the spikes seem to correlate with flares. https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYDELAN43/graph/2022-02-14/2022-02-14/daily

Ā 

You can punch in whatever date you like and see for yourself. I have to figure out how to translate the time and date differences and look up past events on SWL but I bet they correlate. See how normal Feb 4th looks

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--391952335.jpeg

1 minute ago, SAINT said:

How does clouds or ozone blocks UV light?

Don't doubt your observations.Ā 

In response to your low effort post, here is a FAQ about the ozone and UV light:Ā Ultraviolet (UV) / Ozone Frequently Asked Questions (bom.gov.au)

"Ozone is the major absorber of UVB (Ultraviolet radiant energy in the wavelength range 280-320 nanometres) in sunlight, absorbing approximately 90% of it.Ā "

Ā 

Clouds likewise absorb much sunlight. Here is a picture describing reflection and the role of clouds:Ā 

Absorption / reflection of sunlight - Understanding Global Change (berkeley.edu)

Absorption_Rays_UGC-1024x768.jpg.73d9ad248315e105365219b426062bc5.jpg

Ā 

Also, observations are not conclusions. The unknown is nether true nor false.Ā 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1248152685.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Archmonoth said:

In response to your low effort post, here is a FAQ about the ozone and UV light:Ā Ultraviolet (UV) / Ozone Frequently Asked Questions (bom.gov.au)

"Ozone is the major absorber of UVB (Ultraviolet radiant energy in the wavelength range 280-320 nanometres) in sunlight, absorbing approximately 90% of it.Ā "

Ā 

Clouds likewise absorb much sunlight. Here is a picture describing reflection and the role of clouds:Ā 

Absorption / reflection of sunlight - Understanding Global Change (berkeley.edu)

Absorption_Rays_UGC-1024x768.jpg.73d9ad248315e105365219b426062bc5.jpg

Ā 

Also, observations are not conclusions. The unknown is nether true nor false.Ā 

Also that is under normal conditions.

Seems solar flares obliterate cloud coverage. Go look at the world map right now and read this interesting article... Thanks for posting keep it coming!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160825113235.htm

There are no clouds in the sky right now.Ā 

16 minutes ago, FairyG said:

Ā 

Well since they released "brightening" agents into our atmosphere to try and brighten clouds to repel the sun, who really can say for sure.

Who are "they", what brightening agents are you talking about?Ā 

I know on September 11th when they grounded all of the planes worldwide the temperature of Earth dropped so significantly and before that they were trying to make the Earth filled with clouds to try and protect it from the Sun to reduce global warming.

They didn't ground all the planes. There was no cloud plan. Why do you think this?

September 11th 2001? September 11th 2022?Ā 

Ā 

What really surprised scientists was the days the planes were grounded and no clouds were being made were significantly cooler to the days when the Earth was cloudy and so they believed that the clouds were actually trapping heat into the Earth but I am not clear about all of that you'd have to check.

What scientists were surprised? Again, there were plenty of commercial flights that day. (09/11/2001)

Ā 

Edited by Archmonoth

11 minutes ago, FairyG said:

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1248152685.jpeg

Also that is under normal conditions.

Seems solar flares obliterate cloud coverage. Go look at the world map right now and read this interesting article... Thanks for posting keep it coming!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160825113235.htm

There are no clouds in the sky right now.Ā 

Nice. There was also a good article about it.Ā https://www.livescience.com/46701-andes-highest-uv-index-measured.html

https://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2020/04/coronavirus-plane-free-skies-spur-research-into-non-co2-warming-impact-of-aviation-eg-contrails/

There could be a way to measure and know exactly how the solarflare hit the earth if there is a way to find these extreme spikes in UV across the globe and see the exact time down to the second of when they registered I bet... If it is an indication of the flare reaching earth.

8 minutes ago, FairyG said:

https://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2020/04/coronavirus-plane-free-skies-spur-research-into-non-co2-warming-impact-of-aviation-eg-contrails/

There could be a way to measure and know exactly how the solarflare hit the earth if there is a way to find these extreme spikes in UV across the globe and see the exact time down to the second of when they registered I bet... If it is an indication of the flare reaching earth.

Ā 

Sorry, this is pseudo-science to me. The conversation has shifted into the realm of unfalsifiable speculation, I'm out.

I would suggest you find a method of proving something as incorrect, or learning to accept the unknown, before falling into the abyss of wild imagination presented as truth.Ā Ā 

Edited by Archmonoth

6 minutes ago, SAINT said:

Nice. There was also a good article about it.Ā https://www.livescience.com/46701-andes-highest-uv-index-measured.html

Ā 

7 minutes ago, Archmonoth said:

Who are "they", what brightening agents are you talking about?Ā 

They didn't ground all the planes. There was no cloud plan. Why do you think this?

September 11th 2001? September 11th 2022?Ā 

What scientists were surprised? Again, there were plenty of commercial flights that day. (09/11/2001)

Ā 

This is really off topic but it was 20 years ago, my memory recalls the gist was that they thought making clouds was going to keep the earth cool and it did the opposite. They only realized it because the planes had been grounded in the following days and temperatures dropped, but that was what was being said back then. See newer study link above. (The responses get merged sorry if my posts seem weird)

I looked up the date for the andes incident and there were no spikes that day over here. Maybe the solar flare only spikes UVs in certain spots not the entire planet? Best to just keep observing here as the flares come along.

Anyone know the last m flare that actually hit the earth that could be comparable to today's or Saturdays? I am trying to find other spikes that correlate but honestly I'm having a hard time finding any spikes at all!!!

Anything significant happen october 29 2021? I managed to find another 2021 nighttime spike !!!

(What kind of sunglasses do I need to protect my eyes when UV gets this high?)

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1691607978.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Archmonoth said:

What true light would that be comrade?Ā 

I am not trolling! I just want to protect my eyes and my dog's eyes and it would just be nice to know if there is any correlation between a spike in UV and solar flares. I was spurred on this from a YouTube video I watched where someone else was getting heightened UV readings.https://youtube.com/shorts/L_Hh_0zfZ9c?feature=share

I am very open minded and merely explain a point of view of my background as we are all from different parts of the globe and living in NY listening to New Yorkers, I have learned to take everything I hear... Like 9/11 gossip... With a grain of salt. No offense meant.

24 minutes ago, FairyG said:

I am not trolling!

I was responding to SAINT, who is not interested in anything related to discussion. However, if this is your second account, perhaps you should log off completely before replying.Ā 

I just want to protect my eyes and my dog's eyes and it would just be nice to know if there is any correlation between a spike in UV and solar flares.

How would know if there was or wasn't a connection? Plenty of posts say there isn't, yet you don't accept it.Ā 

I am very open minded and merely explain a point of view of my background as we are all from different parts of the globe and living in NY listening to New Yorkers, I have learned to take everything I hear... Like 9/11 gossip... With a grain of salt. No offense meant.

Part of learning is not seeing every viewpoint as equal. Someone guessing or speculating is not the same as tested information. You have to be able to see the difference between guesswork and knowledge, or you will learn nothing.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Archmonoth

23 minutes ago, SAINT said:

Maybe the spike is due to the disruption of ozone due to a natural event or a unnatural event. ie military weather apparatus

God be with you Archmonoth. Hopefully may the true light shine upon your face.

Ā 

Gee there are quite a few volcanic eruptions correlating with solar flare activity, so I have observed. Also earthquakes.

Ā 

Obviously there is a scientific reason for these UV spike anomalies and I'm looking at nearby stations and not finding spikes. Altitude may have a lot to do with it. Maybe also it was an instrument malfunction at the time the flare hits.

All my life here cellphones do not work well, even now only Verizon and no 5g. 5g wifi is off and on. It keeps getting extreme wind bursts and like really really cold. This spot on the lake is truly unique and it always gets much more extreme weather than the rest of the nearby towns. It would be just really bizarre if this only happened by me and it wasn't some sort of misreading. Nearby towns do have some solar and uv raised levels. Maybe the altitude has a lot to do with the readings.

The wind is so fierce and sporadic today

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--200049009.jpeg

Even another station closer to the one with the spike.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1939259436.jpeg

This is the official wunderground station and spike recorded today that I found.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1989463156.jpeg

Well I pretty much wasted my day on this trying to find out if there were any other stations nearby that registered to spike and lo and behold I finally found one and now I am more careful when I label my graphs with the exact station name and I'm not sure if altitude has to do with it or if maybe the pattern in which the energy is hitting the Earth but this is addictive.

So much happier now that I've switched to researching about the sun over my last obsession. Of course the data collected could be a result of faulty equipment or false readings due to the instruments used, but it is something.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1048308851.jpeg

So I started checking other places I lived and found that if I picked locations with odd wind directions, typically from the north (when other stations reported different directions nearby) I was able to locate more UV spikes!!! They were different looking so maybe it's a machine error but I don't think so.

I invite everyone to check on wunderground and see if you can find spikes too! I'm tempted to start plotting my findings but I lack the proper computer equipment and I so feel like someone else has to be keeping track of this. Most likely when it hit us the way we were in rotation and the way the wave was patterned as it hit should be visible if we can find all the spiked readings and plot their times! Probably should make a new thread.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--502036714.jpeg

Nearby station at Diamond head Hawaii no spike

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1829942638.jpeg