I think soon 2929 might develop delta spots

farm24

11 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

2nd largest flare of the young cycle!

Not quite, we've had two X-class flares in this SC. One in Oct, the other (slightly stronger) was back in July. ย (So at least third strongest)

The strongest of 2022 so far!

Edited by Orneno

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

Especially now it's fully seen as M5.5!

Yup! I was about to go to bed too then this happenedย ๐Ÿ˜‚

Now we wait to see if it produced/will produce a CME. So far, no radio sweep alerts from SWPC but that could change. I did see that the previous CME from the earlier M-flare does have a small Earth directed component despite it being near the limb.

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

I think it might be a bit long-duration, but yeah, no radio sweeps, so not sure about a CME.

I have seen CMEs happen without the radio sweep alerts, but typically any significant one will come with an alert. Either way, it's right on the limb so probably nothing for us if it decides to launch a CME.

• Like 1

2929 is the lower AR in this picture (itโ€™s remarkably similar to 2930 just north of it!)

Iโ€™m trying to analyze its magnetic structure to see why it produced an M5, it doesnโ€™t seem that complexย though. But I donโ€™t know much about sunspot classification, I need @Vancanneyt Sanderย to make a nice video on it ๐Ÿ˜œ

55AFE01A-DB07-4B78-A46D-7C7EBC9A3FEF.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

I have seen CMEs happen without the radio sweep alerts, but typically any significant one will come with an alert. Either way, it's right on the limb so probably nothing for us if it decides to launch a CME.

Yeah, not expecting any Earth impacts, but it is interesting being an M5. You donโ€™t get those every day (well maybe in Solar Maximum, but not now)
ย 

30 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

2nd largest flare of the young cycle!

It's actually the 3rd strongest, we've had two X1 flares this SC so far. ย Also two M4, but nothing between M4 and X, so this is the third strongest!
And the strongest of 2022. ย Let's hope that's soon surpassed ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Orneno said:

2929 es el AR inferior en esta imagen (ยกes notablemente similar a 2930 justo al norte!)

Estoy tratando de analizar su estructura magnรฉtica para ver por quรฉ produjo un M5, aunque no parece tan complejo. Pero no sรฉ mucho sobre la clasificaciรณn de las manchas solares, necesito@Vancanneyt Sanderย para hacer un buen video sobre eso ๐Ÿ˜œ

Sรญ, no espero ningรบn impacto de la Tierra, pero es interesante ser un M5. No los obtienes todos los dรญas (bueno, tal vez en Solar Maximum, pero no ahora)
ย 

En realidad, es el tercero mรกs fuerte, hemos tenido dos bengalas X1 en este SC hasta ahora. Tambiรฉn dos M4, pero nada entre M4 y X, ยกasรญ que este es el tercero mรกs fuerte!
Y el mรกs fuerte del 2022. Esperemos que pronto se supere ๐Ÿ˜‰

there is a problem it can not be qualified well because it is almost turning, but to me it looks like a betta-gamma

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flareguy18 said:

Well, we got radio sweeps after all, type II and IV! ย Too bad it wasn't pointing this way :(

Eruptive events have type II and/or IV sweeps, non eruptive events don't. Difference images show a very big coronal wave which is very awesome:

ย 

We also see a minor S1 radiation storm from the event which is likely to persist for a day or so.

LASCO imagery show the CME, and it's a nice shot away from us ๐Ÿ™‚ย with a nice speed of 1800km/sec.

CME.jpeg

7 hours ago, Orneno said:

2929 is the lower AR in this picture (itโ€™s remarkably similar to 2930 just north of it!)

it looks completely opposite polarity

1 minute ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Well I see a radiation storm is in progress. This always happens when Iโ€™m asleep. ๐Ÿ˜†ย 

same

43 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Does anyone know what time it happened in UTC so I can convert it over to my time?

Just got to the solar flares graph and click โ€œmore dataโ€ to see all the flares for the past day or so and check the timingย 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Orneno said:

Iโ€™m trying to analyze its magnetic structure to see why it produced an M5, it doesnโ€™t seem that complexย though. But I donโ€™t know much about sunspot classification, I need @Vancanneyt Sanderย to make a nice video on it ๐Ÿ˜œ

Yeah, not expecting any Earth impacts, but it is interesting being an M5. You donโ€™t get those every day (well maybe in Solar Maximum, but not now)
ย 

It's actually the 3rd strongest, we've had two X1 flares this SC so far. ย Also two M4, but nothing between M4 and X, so this is the third strongest!
And the strongest of 2022. ย Let's hope that's soon surpassed ๐Ÿ˜‰

Totally forgot about that 2nd X-flare! So yeah you are right, third strongestย ๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

5 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Eruptive events have type II and/or IV sweeps, non eruptive events don't. Difference images show a very big coronal wave which is very awesome:

ย 

We also see a minor S1 radiation storm from the event which is likely to persist for a day or so.

LASCO imagery show the CME, and it's a nice shot away from us ๐Ÿ™‚ย with a nice speed of 1800km/sec.

CME.jpeg

Wow, that's quite spectacular indeed! Too bad it is pointed away from us. Still, very cool to see.

• Like 1

3 uren geleden, Orneno zei:

I believe the scale is logarithmic and not linear, or something like that. @Vancanneyt Sanderย would know, is an M5 halfway between M1 and X, more, or less?

Itโ€™s indeed logarithmic, to understand it more please see Wikipedia article about logarithmic scale.

1 uur geleden, Flareguy18 zei:

Totally forgot about that 2nd X-flare! So yeah you are right, third strongestย ๐Ÿ˜‰

Always check out top flare list ๐Ÿ˜‰ comes in handy with such events ๐Ÿ˜‡

• Thanks 3