I think soon 2929 might develop delta spots

farm24

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

I was about to say that 😂
Anyways, a CME is very likely, I wonder how strong it will be.  Too bad it won't be Earth-directed

Sometimes even limb events can give us a glancing blow, so might at least hope for that 😁😂but yeah it probably wont be enough for a significant effect anyways.

Whyyy must it always be limb flares 😂

25 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

Whyyy must it always be limb flares 😂

We seem to be plagued by limb CMEs this solar cycle so far. It’s probably just coincidence or confirmation bias, but I’m sure it will ease as the SC strengthens and flings off CMEs in all directions!

• Like 1

People said the same about SC24, only limb flares or far side... and I sort of understand that... because the limbs and far side make up most of the Sun!

I would consider 30 degrees on either side of the prime meridian to be really head on earth-directed... That makes 60 degrees from east to west in the earth-strike zone... and 300 degrees not in the earth-strike zone. So much more chance something takes place outside of this perfect strike-zone... I really do hope I make sense haha.

• Like 1

2 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

We seem to be plagued by limb CMEs this solar cycle so far. It’s probably just coincidence or confirmation bias, but I’m sure it will ease as the SC strengthens and flings off CMEs in all directions!

The sun is and will always be a bully 😉… as long as the big CME’s occur near Center disk then I’ll be happy 😇

6 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

People said the same about SC24, only limb flares or far side... and I sort of understand that... because the limbs and far side make up most of the Sun!

I would consider 30 degrees on either side of the prime meridian to be really head on earth-directed... That makes 60 degrees from east to west in the earth-strike zone... and 300 degrees not in the earth-strike zone. So much more chance something takes place outside of this perfect strike-zone... I really do hope I make sense haha.

I guess the statistics make sense.  Just gotta wait for more CMEs in general! 

32 minuten geleden, Drax Spacex zei:

Don't forget about the Parker Spiral effect which could cause the CME in-transit to deflect off the (presumed) slower solar wind ahead of it, causing the CME to swerve to be more Earth-directed.

Indeed true 😉 but let’s await LASCO imagery first to see if it is any good.

3 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

That's quite insightful! Never thought of it that way.

3 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

There she is... latest images from STEREO A. Still way too early to draw any solid conclusions of course but looks pretty decent on STEREO at least.

Webp.net-gifmaker (1).gif

I want that 🥺

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:47 PM, Drax Spacex said:

... but 2929 may have released a rather weak Earth-directed CME at about 2022-01-16 20:00 UT.

Was this CME the likely culprit of the unexpected G2 storm today at 2022-19-Jan 00h-03h UT?  Successive Kp index values jumped from Kp3 to Kp6.  I don't think is characteristic of a CH HSS.  If not from the CME on 2022-01-16 20:00 UT, what else could it be?

"We don't know" is an acceptable answer.

Edited by Drax Spacex
We don't know what we don't know, but we can guess!

Partial halo... just over 90 degrees... cant ever rule anything out a 100% of course but I just dont see an earth-directed component... the region was already pretty far towards the west limb and it just didn't seem like a very wide blast... we will see but I am not getting my hopes up.

• Like 1