CME on Monday

Guest danderson500

Well strong can mean a number of different things It could be considered "strong" because it scored a 4 on a five point scale, Or countries electrical technicians were just smart enough to regulate our grid to the point were it didn't affect us adversely. This isn't alway the case but more times than any it is. There is no need to worry if there truly was something going wrong with our electrical grid we would be notified. So please stop worrying its causing you unneeded stress and anxiety.

Man...

Is this guy real?

CRYING for a G4? Pal, I'm sure that if there was to be a Carrington-class event, the 5-leveled scale would be irrelevant. Like an off-the-chart event. Next time there's a strong CME heading our way, stop crying and running around like a beheaded chicken, and actually do something, like filling your bathtub, renewing your prescription dr*gs earlier, and watching auroras.

And NO, this CME isn't too strong. It's not even strong. I would be surprised if we even reached G2.

You have the right to worry friend, 'cuz you won't know an off-the-chart CME until it gets to us.

But live your life, don't over-worry about CMEs. Look at the sky and see beautiful things, instead of possible chaos and destruction. Yes, there is a risk. No, you can't help it. Yes, you can do something about it for yourself. No, you must not waste your energy panicking.

Learn how to handle the easiest solar observation data, such as the ENLIL, the Lascos (C2 and C3), the various indexes and scales and the Bz on the magnetometer. Even without scientific training, it shouldn't be too hard. That is, if you don't already know. Then, make yourself a routine to watch Lasco C3 and ENLIL twice a day, and if you'd like, join a prepper website/Facebook group to know more about what you can do about it for yourself.

But by all means, don't worry. And quit spamming =P That ain't gonna help either.

Have a good one.

Guest danderson500

how big would a sunspot need to get for us to have a cme that is off the charts?

Boy you and NOAA got it wrong on this CME for sure with just G1 storming!

how big would a sunspot need to get for us to have a cme that is off the charts?

There is no rule as to how big a sunspot region needs to be for a very strong CME. Even small but very complex sunspot groups can produce major flares.

Yes we got it wrong but that's no shame. A G3 watch was very reasonable considering the size and trajectory of this CME. That the impact was this disappointing is a surprise. Good thing there is always next time.

And I got it right when I said I'd be surprised if it got to the G2 level.

See. Nothing to worry about. The NOAA might have set the G3 warning in case the effects of the previous G4 storm would have continued over some days. It didn't happen.

Archived