Active Region 1967

Vancanneyt Sander

Guest Harry Twinotter

And another M class. I wonder if AR 1967's friend AR 1968 will appear as well? Remember I had a theory the interaction between them was affecting AR 1967.

Guest Harry Twinotter

I would like to say I predicted it going bang, but that would not be honest :-) It will be interesting to see if old AR 1967 has another growth spurt like it did last time. Renumbered as AR 1990.

Guest Harry Twinotter

One poster on YouTube expressed surprise at the active region producing such a large flare, he didn't think the sunspot was strong enough. The next Mt Wilson sunspot map might give a better estimate of the magnetic field strength.

One poster on YouTube expressed surprise at the active region producing such a large flare, he didn't think the sunspot was strong enough. The next Mt Wilson sunspot map might give a better estimate of the magnetic field strength.

Regions that are close to the limb are more difficult to see the underlying magnetic structure. In visible light the region looked like a simple beta spot in a single penumbral area and from that point you would say that this is nothing great to produce any flare at all. But if you'd looked on the magnetic map you'd notice that there was a black/white (red/blue) area which gave the sign that there was something fishy with it and could contain a delta spot. And we all know that a delta spot is the best ingredient for a flare potion ;-).

When we look at the region now, it's finally in a better position to take a look at it's magnetic complexity and it's not so good news. The regions penumbral area shrunk and the delta spot came closer to the leader spot making it a very compact group now but in size it all shrunk too. The region retains it's beta-delta magnetic structure for now.

Archived