Filaments and prominences

Just now, mozy said:

We've discussed & seen these plenty of times so yes😄

I was unsure, since most of the times what i thought to be "loops rising" or "mass ejecting" were really filaments that i did not spot. 💀😄 I did not really know until now that "can just happen" - my impression was that it has to be tied to a filament.

So mozy do you know / what is your opinion if there could be an earth directed component? I posted some stereo A data and im playing back and forth the 195 dimming but i have no clue really. you said its "pretty big" so i thought i shoot the question.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I was unsure, since most of the times what i thought to be "loops rising" or "mass ejecting" were really filaments that i did not spot. 💀😄 I did not really know until now that "can just happen" - my impression was that it has to be tied to a filament.

These kinds of eruptions is what gave us that G4 storm back in March, I've seen them occur from actual regions, plage or just before/when sunspots start growing around a certain area. My favorite kind of eruption tbh since you can just watch it for a while and wait in excitement, they always produce impressive CME's since it literally clears everything around it.

And these are the ones that can trigger big flares if they occur over actual sunspots. (Like in March for example with that X1 together with the southern region)

We saw this too yesterday with the limb flare at M6.6

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, mozy said:

These kinds of eruptions is what gave us that G4 storm back in March, I've seen them occur from actual regions, plage or just before/when sunspots start growing around a certain area. My favorite kind of eruption tbh since you can just watch it for a while and wait in excitement, they always produce impressive CME's since it literally clears everything around it.

And these are the ones that can trigger big flares if they occur over actual sunspots. (Like in March for example with that X1 together with the southern region)

Thank you for the great explanation, it makes much more sense now and i can recognize i've seen it before but just did not classify it as for what it was. I did not know they can occur over sunspots, i always thought its the Flare that triggers the movement not the other way around - but it makes sense since filaments can do the same and vice versa.

https://gyazo.com/263be0cbc0f2a5dce89920c1968868d0  I made you a video of the Dimming, to me theres not much going west, most goes east ?

image not (yet) available for anyone that does not want to watch the whole video, heres a picture :) 

3 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Thank you for the great explanation, it makes much more sense now and i can recognize i've seen it before but just did not classify it as for what it was. I did not know they can occur over sunspots, i always thought its the Flare that triggers the movement not the other way around - but it makes sense since filaments can do the same and vice versa.

https://gyazo.com/263be0cbc0f2a5dce89920c1968868d0  I made you a video of the Dimming, to me theres not much going west, most goes east ?

Flaring can trigger it too, don't think there's a certain rule, they just happen anytime it seems like.
Definitely looks eastwards, but wouldn't surprise me if something could come our way since these are so broad, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As far as I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong): If filaments lift up and break apart, they release the stored magnetic energy as x-rays, and thus we see a flare. But filaments can also erupt if a flare of a nearby AR is disturbing the magnetic field lines.

Waiting for LASCO 😎

Thank you 😊😊👍🏻 that’s likely the reason a few years back I saw an m class from a plage. Man.. have not seen a plage in a while 😆

did you check out stereos coronagraph and my dimmings? Maybe interesting ☺️🌸

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

Hmm, I'll need a little more imagery, but it might be somewhere on the slower end of CMEs.

But is it earth directed then? Full, slightly, glance, no glance? :D  I posted a dimming further up the thread if youre interested, a video of the dimming too. To me it looked like almost nothing erupted to the earth. 

There are not many frames yet, hence i know you cant say much about speed etc. im just interested if theres an earth directed component or not

2 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

A filament eruption on the northeast disk just tried to put the X8.79 flare CME to shame. It might be faster than the flare CME.

Oh yeah, that looked like a really solid one too.

filament.png

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Oh is this the M4 one that misses to the northeast?

b3a03009bef29c6cca804f55a0b1df4c.jpg

Yep, the M4 filament eruption.

7 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

image.png.6efbd7feca4e478ec1aae6ec80fab52b.png

This M1 filament eruption looks like it will be in like for a glancing blow. It may have around 3.5 days of travel time to L1, so there is a chance it may not arrive.

15 minutes ago, helios said:

Another big filament is about to lift off on the northeast.

I think it already did, what do you think? Is it a normal filament or like yesterday again? 

1 hour ago, helios said:

Another big filament is about to lift off on the northeast.

I wonder if that area is somehow connected to AR3664, exactly the same reaction to yesterdays X8 flare.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danderson400 said:

The X8 flare didn't have a strong type II so it would have likely been G2 or G3.

That's not how it works really😛

There seems to be another eruption up north. Looking at Suvi it looks to be directed northeast so far :)  I wonder if it’s a filament. 

btw : does someone use gong for filaments ? I recently started !

Posted (edited)

I see a filament lifting in the southeast. From what I can see, it looks like it’s mostly going south.

spacer.png

Edited by Calder
Added gif
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

24 minutes ago, Calder said:

I see a filament lifting in the southeast. From what I can see, it looks like it’s mostly going south.

spacer.png

That doesn't look too shabby, wouldn't surprise me if we get a hit from that.