2024/02/10 M9.04 CME

4 hours ago, Maciej Dunst said:

So, what do you guys think? Total miss? 

3 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Personally I think it's on the late end and still coming, but the later the weaker it will probably be. Can't be sure though.

I mostly agree with Philalethes, to me I believe it's going to be a late arrival. In my novice opinion I don't think it will weaken much if at all. These are based upon my best educated guesses and comparing old data with current data 🙂

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

An arrival is still coming. My best guess is a northern pole CH may have messed with the CME a little bit in coronagraph imagery more than expected. I'd expect an L1 arrival within the next 8 hours.

7 hours now 

About to be 6 hours

Now on the space weather prediction center it says on the 14th g1

4 hours ago, Kayla Bisson said:

Gosh I hope so! I actually have clear skies for once. I live in the middle lats of Canada but luckily near a dark sky preserve so I might just get lucky! Its been months since I've seen a good show. 

A dark sky preserve??  And north of Seattle Wa.  Envy overtakes me again!! Haha.  Good luck there! @Kayla Bisson  Mike 

Well this is a bummer. Higher-energy protons still seem to be rising slightly after all the protons leveled out though, I would think that means this is still incoming, but it's getting really late now. Strange, but it's not exactly news that space weather is really unpredictable.

Maybe the protons are from the farside eruption and that this one just missed or was extremely weak. At this point it would be an unreasonably late arrival at least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Well this is a bummer. Higher-energy protons still seem to be rising slightly after all the protons leveled out though, I would think that means this is still incoming, but it's getting really late now. Strange, but it's not exactly news that space weather is really unpredictable.

Maybe the protons are from the farside eruption and that this one just missed or was extremely weak. At this point it would be an unreasonably late arrival at least.

IMO something passed earth last night, as the wind speed and density had some unusual ups and downs. No sign of IMF sudden change, but this is normal when comes to extremely weak glancing blow ICMEs. 

8 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

Look at was-enill it shows one after another 

It’s important to keep in mind WSA-ENILL is a model, not data, and can be wrong.  It’s made by experts, and is often pretty good, but because our data/imagery of CMEs is limited, the model can be wrong.

Not saying that’s necessarily the case here, just something to bear in mind when analyzing space weather.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam Warfel said:

It’s important to keep in mind WSA-ENILL is a model, not data, and can be wrong.  It’s made by experts, and is often pretty good, but because our data/imagery of CMEs is limited, the model can be wrong.

Not saying that’s necessarily the case here, just something to bear in mind when analyzing space weather.

Enlil without STEREO A point of view is useless. I don't know when was the last time it was even close to the reality... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Welp, it took a while, but it arrived finally.

It arrived in a HSS that should of torn it apart, so the IMF shock held up well.

Cool @Jesterface23  as is typical, im overcast here but hopefully some Canadians have a shot at seeing something. Perhaps our midwest as well…. Edit. Well. Bz north. No power. Even kiruna says zip nada.  Hmm. Probably will go KP eight when I leave site.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Arrival?