M6.8 CME watch

1 hour ago, Parabolic said:

Post flare arcade loops are often identical to the pre-flare state. They won't "break" they same way but can release more than one CME alongside the usual X-ray emissions. 

This sounds like a bit of an odd statement to me. The dynamics involved are of course enormously complex, but as far as I know the post-flare arcades form along the neutral line after reconnection occurs, as seen in e.g. the visualized MHD simulations near the bottom of this paper, where you can also see the formation of the flux rope above the post-flare arcades. Those loops forming the post-flare arcades might look similar to the coronal loops observed before the flare, but will be oriented in a very different direction, and be much more magnetically stable.

Perhaps you could explain what you mean in a bit more detail?

• Like 1

What I was hoping would happen again was an event i’d witnessed at least twice this SC.  A cool explosion/CME.   The loop breaks, falls a bit then, whammo!   Think of trying to push two magnets together except you are dealing with our personal self-contained thermonuclear furnace.  Haha.  Big things can occur on reconnection.  That was My hope anyway. Apologies for butting in @Philalethes

Edited by hamateur 1953

15 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

What I was hoping would happen again was an event i’d witnessed at least twice this SC.  A cool explosion/CME.   The loop breaks, falls a bit then, whammo!   Think of trying to push two magnets together except you are dealing with our personal self-contained thermonuclear furnace.  Haha.  Big things can occur on reconnection.  That was My hope anyway. Apologies for butting in @Philalethes

Yeah, but I believe that describes and occurs with sheared pre-flare arcades, which then turn into the non-sheared post-flare arcades we see here, as well as the flux rope above it (which is what ends up being released as a CME). In that case you would indeed see the loops breaking and the new arcades forming underneath in a different direction, generally closer to perpendicular the stronger the event. I don't think the post-flares themselves will typically behave in that manner, since they're the more stable end result of the reconnection process, i.e. after the magnets have forcefully realigned in your analogy.

If you are referring specifically to post-flare arcades I'd certainly be interested in more details about how that works.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

A forecast addon. At this point I'd go with G1 being most likely. If we enter a CIR prior to an early arrival, then G2 may be possible around the time of the CME arrival.

There is a prognose for G1-G3, but I would go with G1 and small chance of G2 too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

Yeah, but I believe that describes and occurs with sheared pre-flare arcades, which then turn into the non-sheared post-flare arcades we see here, as well as the flux rope above it (which is what ends up being released as a CME). In that case you would indeed see the loops breaking and the new arcades forming underneath in a different direction, generally closer to perpendicular the stronger the event. I don't think the post-flares themselves will typically behave in that manner, since they're the more stable end result of the reconnection process, i.e. after the magnets have forcefully realigned in your analogy.

If you are referring specifically to post-flare arcades I'd certainly be interested in more details about how that works.

Not necessarily post flare arcades, both events were limb and  were depicted on solar soft along the top as they typically do.  Both were triggered by reconnection. Hopefully that clears that up.  Mike/Hagrid 

• Like 1

https://www.solarham.net/     If you watch the 131 movie ( available on Solar Ham) you will likely see what I was hoping for earlier.   The loops represent an enormous amount of current flow across a region or regions of opposite polarity.  When this current flow is interrupted, there is naturally a flash.  The reconnecting of the two ends or something more complex appears to be a precursor to a large event in at least two spectacular surface explosions I have viewed in stages on the solar soft website, where they sometimes show the event in stages along the top.  Its pretty darn cool to watch.  They may even have an archive, although I have never checked.  I will post links to both on an edit shortly.  

https://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events/.   This is the link I had difficulty inserting into the above text 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Link
  • Like 1

Well @KW2P   that was pretty cool! 
no explosions boo hoo. But seeing dripping plasma was pretty illuminating ( pun intended). As to whether any current flow was involved across that arc, my DC ammeter probably couldn’t cut it.  I will leave that to the solar physicists.  Mike. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

https://www.solarham.net/     If you watch the 131 movie ( available on Solar Ham) you will likely see what I was hoping for earlier.   The loops represent an enormous amount of current flow across a region or regions of opposite polarity.  When this current flow is interrupted, there is naturally a flash.  The reconnecting of the two ends or something more complex appears to be a precursor to a large event in at least two spectacular surface explosions I have viewed in stages on the solar soft website, where they sometimes show the event in stages along the top.  Its pretty darn cool to watch.  They may even have an archive, although I have never checked.  I will post links to both on an edit shortly.  

https://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events/.   This is the link I had difficulty inserting into the above text 

Yep, I see exactly what you mean; those are indeed the sheared pre-flare arcades breaking as reconnection occurs, right before the flare. As far as I know the post-flare arcades will not do that though, although there might be exceptions I'm not aware of in very complex regions.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Yep, I see exactly what you mean; those are indeed the sheared pre-flare arcades breaking as reconnection occurs, right before the flare. As far as I know the post-flare arcades will not do that though, although there might be exceptions I'm not aware of in very complex regions.

My apologies for not explaining what I meant in time, and thank you for correcting my statement. I was wrong for over simplifying and in my haste I left out important aspects of flare dynamics that I should have summarized. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tniickck said:

seems we ain't getting nothing again

If it arrived right now it would be a pretty early arrival at this point (though SA doesn't look to have taken an impact yet). It could arrive at any time on the 31st UTC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tniickck said:

seems we ain't getting nothing again

Yeah, well things are certain to improve soon.  Take heart guy. I have it on pretty good authority that some better stuff is in store soon regardless.   Imo we have two more fun-filled years of action yet, probably three.  Haha. We are in a lull right now but most predictions are looking better for February 2024.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jesterface23 said:

Hmm, SA might have had a shock arrival around the time we started receiving data again. A shock arrival may be possible in the coming hours.

only shock or some more material? Do you think the KP will move a bit?