AR 3538

23 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I noticed the omission of the typical beta classification. I assume that it is a beta/gamma. At least it looks like one to me….

Seems like they exist though. The description of a Gamma region follows: 

Complex region in which negative and positive polarities are irregularly distributed such that they cannot be classified as bipolar regions.

I suppose it's because of the two little positive sunspots on the left that beta was removed from the classification

Edited by chronical
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I noticed the omission of the typical beta classification. I assume that it is a beta/gamma. At least it looks like one to me….

10 minutes ago, chronical said:

Seems like they exist though.

Both gamma and delta necessarily presuppose beta, can't have either unless both polarities are present in the AR. Beta itself doesn't imply either though, since you can of course have beta regions that are neither gamma nor delta.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Both gamma and delta necessarily presuppose beta, can't have either unless both polarities are present in the AR. Beta itself doesn't imply either though, since you can of course have beta regions that are neither gamma nor delta.

never seen a gamma though. does it change anything in regards to flareability? 

5 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

never seen a gamma though. does it change anything in regards to flareability? 

Not sure what you mean, I'm pretty sure you've seen a gamma lots of times. I'm just pointing out that gamma implicitly means "beta-gamma", since any region that is gamma must necessarily also be beta. Gamma and delta both inherently refer to opposite polarities, so unless you have opposite polarities you can't have either. In other words, there's no such thing as "alpha-gamma" or "alpha-delta", which should be fairly obvious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philalethes said:

Not sure what you mean, I'm pretty sure you've seen a gamma lots of times. I'm just pointing out that gamma implicitly means "beta-gamma", since any region that is gamma must necessarily also be beta. Gamma and delta both inherently refer to opposite polarities, so unless you have opposite polarities you can't have either. In other words, there's no such thing as "alpha-gamma" or "alpha-delta", which should be fairly obvious.

That was what I misunderstood and wondered about. I thought its a Gamma without Beta and asked myself how and if thats possible. Thanks for explaining.

8 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Could be that you did, at least it seems like this is what's flaring by and past the limb of disappointment right now.

lmao!! The limb of dissapointment, i cant even.

• Haha 3