AR 3529

chronical
Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

10 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

I think it's already β-γ-δ. It started flashing flares frequently https://gyazo.com/a85048fc682c0e161e8473986853c6f1

4 minutes ago, tniickck said:

i still cant see delta

Just now, MinYoongi said:

You need to see a delta to have a delta, c class flares are not a sign of a delta, i can post some pictures of the region for comparison/evaluation when I’m back at the pc 

I can't see one either, but there's definitely a lot of minor flaring going on; not sure if it's all from this region, but it's certainly keeping the flux high.

There is the small negative spot that's closest to the large positive area, in the positive penumbra around that one I can perhaps make out a very slight darkening that could indicate a potential spot, but as of now I would have to say that it's nothing.

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

You need to see a delta to have a delta, c class flares are not a sign of a delta, i can post some pictures of the region for comparison/evaluation when I’m back at the pc 

I don't think this is what my statement was supposed to sound like, but unfortunately I don't speak English on a daily basis. What I meant was that a delta might have already formed there due to the slight darkening in this area, but for now the last photos are from 17:40UTC and I can't confirm it.

edit: β-δ

Edited by Adrian Kobyłecki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

I can't see one either, but there's definitely a lot of minor flaring going on; not sure if it's all from this region, but it's certainly keeping the flux high.

There is the small negative spot that's closest to the large positive area, in the positive penumbra around that one I can perhaps make out a very slight darkening that could indicate a potential spot, but as of now I would have to say that it's nothing.

where? 😮

image.png.91f1930b34e5c0eca9ec85270b45d42d.png this one?

13 minutes ago, Adrian Kobyłecki said:

The problem is that there aren't really any clear spots there of the opposite polarity. As mentioned above there might be some very slight darkening of the penumbra that might indicate that a spot could develop, but until that happens I would not call either of those deltas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay-B said:

Is this area a delta forming?

Screenshot 2023-12-21 141814.jpg

I was looking at that area as well but it's so hard to tell the lines of the penumbras. I have these points of interest at the moment. We will see if they will develop to something bigger.

spacer.png

I made a new gif for the last 24-ish hours of development. It looks like it slowed down a bit but still growing.

spacer.png

Edited by arjemma
Added Gif
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

the top spot seems to rotate faster than the southern

There is some differential rotation, with latitudes closer to the equator rotating faster, but I think it's mostly the spots drifting apart from one another causing most of the apparent movement in this case, it's typically what beta regions seem to do (presumably because the flux tubes "untangle" and straighten out; at least that's how I conceive of it in the most general terms, but maybe there's something else going on).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Nice little plasma snake.

Indeed, and in our target zone perhaps.  Looking at the intensitygram I cannot help but notice the hemispheric size differential.  No clue what it means, if anything. But nice to see bigger spots no matter where they are.  

10 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

earth directed?

Doubt it, looks like most of the plasma just moved right above the surface from one place to the other.

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

to everyone celebrating by the way :)

Felix dies natalis Solis Invicti; inventori lucis Soli Invicto augusto!

(Happy birthday of Sol the Unconquered; I exalt Sol the Unconquered, deviser of light!)

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

21 minutes ago, tniickck said:

isn't Christmas in Germany on 25th Dec too? 

24,25,26. :)  3 days of fun and family. 

29 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Not seeing any CMEs related to the flares unfortunately. Only filament eruptions so far.

so that’s the Filament? I’m a bit confused due to multiple flares and filaments. So the 2 Flares were not eruptive? The first one was at ~12utc or so and I didn’t really see something in lasco. Would love a little clear up of the mess 😂💕

45 minutes ago, tniickck said:

isn't Christmas in Germany on 25th Dec too? 

It's a mixed bag throughout Europe, as the liturgical day derived from earlier Roman rites began with the evening prayers (the vespers), and thus lasted from sunset to sunset, so when the early Church designated December 25th as the birthday of their holy savior this was interpreted by many as from the evening on the 24th to the evening on the 25th, labeling the former evening as Christmas Eve and the latter day as Christmas Day; some countries stuck with starting the main celebrations on the former and making the latter a holiday too, while others mostly just celebrated the latter.

As an aside: that they chose December 25 specifically, which for many centuries had been celebrated all throughout first the Roman Republic as the end of Saturnalia (due to the solstice having fallen on December 25 of the Julian calendar around 200-300 BCE when they first started) and later the Roman Empire as the aforementioned "dies natalis Solis Invicti" ("birthday of Sol the Unconquered"), remains a curious fact; I'm sure you can find some intriguing things to read about it if you search around.

That's as far off-topic as I will go on that one though; I suppose I can't resist a yearly digression when these topics invariably make their way into threads dedicated to other subjects, heh. Hope the first part is a satisfactory answer for the question at least.

Edited by Philalethes
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

so that’s the Filament? I’m a bit confused due to multiple flares and filaments. So the 2 Flares were not eruptive? The first one was at ~12utc or so and I didn’t really see something in lasco. Would love a little clear up of the mess 😂💕

Yeah, there are 3 different filaments in SA's image. One over the northeast limb, the larger one on the north side which maybe we could get a glancing blow from, then the 3rd launched southwest of region 3529 at around 15:00Z between both of the M-class flares.

• Cool 1