AR 3405

cgrant26

The CME looked pretty slow (albeit long-duration) and not Earth directed but it's hard to tell with the other CME that launched around 3am yesterday on the Western side. Theres a lot of matter hurtling out all around that kind of masks any corona from this latest CME. (if there is one) C2 really makes it look not Earth directed though.

I'd love to be wrong. 🙂

Edited by cgrant26

6 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

A rough estimation with the imagery available from SOHO and mostly SA, the travel time to SA may span between 2.5-4 days. Overall, not expecting the CME to do too much.

I don't see anything from this on LASCO so far, but maybe you're seeing something in the diffs that isn't readily apparent. But in any case the conclusion seems sound even if there is a CME, doesn't look like that much after all.

2 hours ago, cheebee said:

still occulted by the disc on C2

I don't think that's possible at this point. The covering around extends 1 Solar radius out from the surface if I'm not mistaken, so even a CME with a hypothetical exceptionally slow speed of just ~100 km/s would already be visible within 2 hours. For it not to be visible on C2 at this point, 12 hours later, it would correspondingly have had to have a speed of just ~16.7 km/s or less, which isn't realistic; even neglecting to account for deceleration (i.e. assuming a constant speed of 16.7 km/s) it would take over 100 days to reach Earth at that speed, heh.

But more likely is that it might be visible in the differenced imagery, and that that's what Jesterface is referring to.

is this it?

la filament 1.jpg

second image, is that part of it catching the corner of the screen? is that even possible?

there are such big gaps in the timestamps that was all i could see, i can make out a wisp on the C2 tho

la filament 2.jpg

or was that the blast from just below 3404?.... what just happened?  im a bit confused

45 minutes ago, cheebee said:

or was that the blast from just below 3404?.... what just happened?  im a bit confused

There was a filament eruption near the southwestern edge of the disk and that's the brightness over there in SOHO's C3 imagery. Then there was an earlier ENE limb eruption and later ENE far side eruption near the limb causing the brightness in C3 imagery.

I can't make out the M1 flare CME in the C3 imagery.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

There was a filament eruption near the southwestern edge of the disk and that's the brightness over there in SOHO's C3 imagery. Then there was an earlier ENE limb eruption and later ENE far side eruption near the limb causing the brightness in C3 imagery.

I can't make out the M1 flare CME in the C3 imagery.

Yep. Awfully cluttered out there right now.