Sporadic-E Radio Propagation

KW2P

I believe it did indeed also.  After some thought about it, I think both are correct actually because VOACAP typically ended at 30 mhz.  Most articles I have read on transequatorial Es at 50 mhz and above refer to tilted E layer reflections.  But I read a lot of stuff typically, and may have confused the two.  It is probably academic anyway, because we Hams are only interested in the contacts usually.  The methods are almost always speculative.  🤣🤣. Mike.   We might also  call it the E,F layer ? ? 

1 hour ago, KW2P said:

Hmm, that's fascinating. I took the article I read at face value. It attributed it to E-layer.

That's quite a graph.

See above . I messed up quoting @KW2P

Edited by hamateur 1953

7 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I believe it did indeed also.  After some thought about it, I think both are correct actually because VOACAP typically ended at 30 mhz.  Most articles I have read on transequatorial Es at 50 mhz and above refer to tilted E layer reflections.  But I read a lot of stuff typically, and may have confused the two.  It is probably academic anyway, because we Hams are only interested in the contacts usually.  The methods are almost always speculative.  🤣🤣. Mike.   We might also  call it the E,F layer ? ? 

See above . I messed up quoting @KW2P

The VOACAP graph is interesting because it shows a good circuit between two points along the equator (co-equatorial? interequatorial? hah) at 28 MHz. The article I read attributed this daily phenomenon to the E layer.

Looks to me like it's actually F-layer. Not to mention that the E-layer is not that consistent. Hams living along the equator experience this east/west propagation on a daily basis, regardless of season.

So, I'm thinking the article I read is not correct.

1 hour ago, KW2P said:

The VOACAP graph is interesting because it shows a good circuit between two points along the equator (co-equatorial? interequatorial? hah) at 28 MHz. The article I read attributed this daily phenomenon to the E layer.

Looks to me like it's actually F-layer. Not to mention that the E-layer is not that consistent. Hams living along the equator experience this east/west propagation on a daily basis, regardless of season.

2 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:
4 hours ago, KW2P said:

Expand  

Yes, I would have to agree @KW2P  Although we might both be thinking of separate articles. I don’t know.  The one I am thinking of actually showed two high E layers at a slight tilt angle. But I have to concede that a highly  ionized F layer makes a whole lot more sense from a physical standpoint indeed.  

• Like 1