AR 3256

arjemma

This region is right now flaring in the M-class or it might be a region behind this one. Either way I thought I would create a topic for it as I think it is a interesting region. Will be fun to see the magnetic classification when it has rotated in more. 

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, arjemma said:

This region is right now flaring in the M-class or it might be a region behind this one. Either way I thought I would create a topic for it as I think it is a interesting region. Will be fun to see the magnetic classification when it has rotated in more. 

Didn't the M-class come from the sunspots near the western limb?

But either way, it looks somewhat active behind there.

Edited by mozy
  • Like 1

Just now, mozy said:

It looked like it was from the east limb as it as bright. If it wasn’t that is still a bright region. Could have been a sympathetic eruption too.

Now I’m unsure haha

• Like 1

After looking at what that region has been doing so far (SDO and SOHO movies) I reckon this was the spot which produced the major far-side event. Money's on the table 💰

Just kidding. Best if you donate to support this website instead, imo. I'm comfortable with being wrong about a guess lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mozy said:

But either way, it looks somewhat active behind there.

I think so; at least when I checked SUVI after it happened it looked like that's where the flare was coming from, and SolarSoft pinned it there too. But this one did at least do some mid-level C-flaring already, bringing the flux up from total B flatline, so that's something.

1 hour ago, Christopher S. said:

After looking at what that region has been doing so far (SDO and SOHO movies) I reckon this was the spot which produced the major far-side event.

It certainly looks that way from the big CH around those parts.

2 hours ago, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

For the record: it is old 3236

I don't think so; I think it's 3230, and that 3236 was a bit behind it. If you go one rotation back and one day forward you'll see 3230 appear on the limb, and only a bit later does 3236 appear on its left side ("east" of it in the strange inverse east-west system used for Solar coordinates).

• Like 3

I double checked the SDO images and yes it looks like the M-flare was from the western limb, so you are all correct on that. However this region has been responsible for bringing the background flux up which is welcoming since the sun has been quiet the last days.

Will be exciting to see what is behind this region and if it is one big AR or if there are several AR close to each others.

• Cool 1

47 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

so this caused the big backside flare?

Or the region behind that?

I'm not sure we'll be able to tell exactly which part of these lower regions were responsible, assuming it came from around there; maybe we'll get more hints when we see them more clearly. But the clues so far do seem to point to that it did come from those lower regions somewhere, i.e. the large coronal hole there, that the shock appeared to come from there, and that there still appears to be activity there. In contrast 3234 has yet to be seen up north, but there seems to be some activity behind the limb there too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

BTW : i think the current C2 levels are caused by some region on the departing limb

There was a filament eruption from AR 3245 which is sitting on the limb there, going out of view. I screenshotted the event and made a new AR topic for it in case it goes on to produce more noteworthy stuff out-of-view. And I'm aware the convention is to discontinue using the AR designation once it cannot be directly observed, but it's best to call it that in case one wants to browse the activity archive on here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cronus said:

Seems to me the sun needs a few more satellites observing it on the far side. As a concerned citizen, I prefer to know these things rather than guess. Solar research needs significantly more funding.

Have you heard the tragic tale of STEREO-B? We'd attempted to increase our field-of-view in the past, but a malfunction(or several) caused us to lose data from STEREO-Behind. We've since really lagged, internationally, on either restoring it or launching a new mission.

It should be noted that the Parker Solar Probe regularly circles the Sun at a blistering pace, transmitting valuable information back to Earth every so often. The value of this information is quite high due to there being only one Parker SP. So, I tend to agree that we could do with some more toys. That's what they'd be, really - practically speaking, knowing of an incoming AR doesn't really aid us immediately - the data would gain significance over time as it aids in monitoring Solar Cycle strength.

There are evidently more pressing political matters where I live, at the moment, so space funding is off the table for now.

Back to the topic: This region may not be responsible, after further analysis. I think a region N-side will rotate into view, and if the two look similar in size/strength, then I have a hypothesis at the ready for it and the far-side event.

• Like 1

Don't panic. Thats what Doulas Adams suggested. If you do then you will. Anyway as part of the amateur radio world one learns to listen learn. I onlh just now signed on here to see what i can learn from this group. VE5RUS 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hagen72 said:

As i understand nobody has an Information about the intensitylevel from far side CME ?

Can we have a serious estimated Level? X9 or X10? Or more?

I am happy that the Flare don't hit the rauth.

Theres a topic for your question.

• Like 1

Does the coronal hole just to the west of 3256 have any impact on the probability of bigger flares from 3256?   I guess what I’m asking is when a significant sunspot is also near a coronal hole, is the probability of activity increased?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Strom said:

Does the coronal hole just to the west of 3256 have any impact on the probability of bigger flares from 3256?   I guess what I’m asking is when a significant sunspot is also near a coronal hole, is the probability of activity increased?

It doesn't in the sense that you are asking, no. Coronal Holes blow material and gasses away from the Sun, inhibiting the formation of sunspots within and generally around to a lesser extent, as this outflow can be considered a distinct, stable region of the Sun in this regard. They are part of the dynamo effect which gives us the IMF, playing a different role in Space Weather entirely. Check this: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19920064048

In essence CHs reduce the probability of front-side flaring by virtue of taking up space which could be populated by sunspots, and do not amplify ARs adjacent to them. These are distinct forces that may complement one another, but do not act as catalysts for flaring - that's up to the AR itself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1