AR 13217

Philalethes

19 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

May i ask if this region has a delta we can already see? It doesnt looks as spectacular as the earth facing regions do, but flares more?

It's very hard to discern at this point. Also, at this angle it's hard to say how great they will look once they come a bit better into view. I'll post a gif at some point when we can see it a bit clearer; I'll probably also set my script to post gifs of that one (currently posting 3213, but looks like that one is calming down a bit, who knows though).

I'm not so sure this one has flared that much more than 3213 has yet, but maybe you're right, it did show a ton of activity even when it was hardly over the limb. Also, what stands out more to me is the part of the region (or perhaps it's a separate region) that is coming over the limb a bit south of it, because that region seems to have an area that is strongly colored on the m-gram even when it's right on the edge of the limb, that's quite unusual from what I've seen, and intuitively I would suspect that's a sign of a strong region. Let's hope that's not just wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 4

Looks like it's calmed down a bit for now, but now that it's a bit clearer in view, a preliminary look would suggest a tiny delta here:

imageedit-1-3224131149.gif

Not really that much for now. It's worth noting that the bottom left spots have been designated as a separate region (3220), and I believe at least some of the flaring came from there too. Not sure if a separate topic should be made for it, or if this topic should be dedicated to both, due to their proximity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Looks like it's calmed down a bit for now, but now that it's a bit clearer in view, a preliminary look would suggest a tiny delta here:

imageedit-1-3224131149.gif

Not really that much for now. It's worth noting that the bottom left spots have been designated as a separate region (3220), and I believe at least some of the flaring came from there too. Not sure if a separate topic should be made for it, or if this topic should be dedicated to both, due to their proximity.

My feeling is that they are indeed separate spots. The one designated AR3220 matches closely the location of old AR3190 from last rotation while this one (3217) seems to have developed on the farside as a result of reconfiguration of the magnetic fields. Looking at latest view of fields(from Jan17) in that area it seems probable that they have at least one field in common.

ARs_3217_3220.jpg.ee0e8637ed32f98ac4f45e2dbaa74c4d.jpg   We can see that there has to have been some re-configuration, otherwise AR3217 would be reverse polarity.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 3gMike said:

My feeling is that they are indeed separate spots. The one designated AR3220 matches closely the location of old AR3190 from last rotation while this one (3217) seems to have developed on the farside as a result of reconfiguration of the magnetic fields. Looking at latest view of fields(from Jan17) in that area it seems probable that they have at least one field in common.

ARs_3217_3220.jpg.ee0e8637ed32f98ac4f45e2dbaa74c4d.jpg   We can see that there has to have been some re-configuration, otherwise AR3217 would be reverse polarity.

Makes sense. Don't the underlying fields also drift ever so slightly over time with respect to the surface? I believe I read something to that effect in something Scott posted once. Maybe I wasn't reading it right and it was just referring to the general drift of sunspots towards the equator as the cycle progresses, I can't remember.

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison or overlay between the magnetic fields at corresponding Carrington rotations at the different times, so that one could perhaps make out what parts of the field have changed and what haven't, and maybe also see the aforementioned drift more clearly if it does exist and I wasn't mistaken.

Also, the same delta as above seems to still be present; the positive spot has grown a little, and while the penumbrae aren't that tightly packed together they're visibly shared, at least with the big negative spot below for now, but also to a certain extent with the smaller negative spot on the left; "tracking" it here (same link as before, for anyone who wants to bookmark it).

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

41 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Makes sense. Don't the underlying fields also drift ever so slightly over time with respect to the surface? I believe I read something to that effect in something Scott posted once. Maybe I wasn't reading it right and it was just referring to the general drift of sunspots towards the equator as the cycle progresses, I can't remember.

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison or overlay between the magnetic fields at corresponding Carrington rotations at the different times, so that one could perhaps make out what parts of the field have changed and what haven't, and maybe also see the aforementioned drift more clearly if it does exist and I wasn't mistaken.

Also, the same delta as above seems to still be present; the positive spot has grown a little, and while the penumbrae aren't that tightly packed together they're visibly shared, at least with the big negative spot below for now, but also to a certain extent with the smaller negative spot on the left; "tracking" it here (same link as before, for anyone who wants to bookmark it).

I do not want to go too far off-topic, so I will just remind you of another thread from last year https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/topic/2506-activity-at-same-location-over-several-rotations/  If you have a look there you will find a remarkably similar field (at least in the southern hemisphere) from as far back as May 2022.

• Like 2

This has gotten the designation of beta-gamma-delta now. Here's the region of interest:

imageedit-4-3271234475.gif

The delta is primarily the two spots in the top left of the square, but the penumbra of the large bottom spot also seems to connect as of now. The top right spot is disconnected, but who knows, maybe it'll join in on the fun.

I'm not very well wersed in the Zürich/McIntosh classification system, but it's designated DKI, and I've noticed that some of the more interesting regions are DKI or EKI; I know there are some people who know more about that, so feel free to weigh in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Very impulsive / quick

but cool! Didn’t expect that from the region yet

Yeah seems like the sun has entered that phase again today where regions are firing off flare after flare despite not being complex at all, as we've seen today.

Just now, mozy said:

Yeah seems like the sun has entered that phase again today where regions are firing off flare after flare despite not being complex at all, as we've seen today.

I thought the region is in decay, because when I compare the gif that @Philalethes Bythos posted to now, the delta has greatly shrunk, right? 
and lol yes. I really expected it to come from the west. Where did the M flares originate from? 

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Very impulsive / quick

but cool! Didn’t expect that from the region yet

Extremely impulsive indeed by the looks of it, almost down to C-levels already. But cool nonetheless!

Just now, MinYoongi said:

I thought the region is in decay, because when I compare the gif that @Philalethes Bythos posted to now, the delta has greatly shrunk, right? 
and lol yes. I really expected it to come from the west. Where did the M flares originate from? 

Yep, it looks that way to me, it seems to have broken apart a bit. But there's still some connection between the penumbrae of the small positive spot and the large negative one.

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

The M-flares came from all sorts of regions lol.

I wish we had a complex region to see what it would give now that the sun is behaving like this again.

X marks the spot.  In treasure maps or in solar displays. It literally announced itself.  Could it please be a bit more specific would be our only request. tnx mr sun.  Tnx min for finding me and redirecting me here. Mike and Hagrid. 

15 minutes ago, mozy said:

The M-flares came from all sorts of regions lol.

I wish we had a complex region to see what it would give now that the sun is behaving like this again.

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1