Solar cycle parameteric curve fit and modeling

Drax Spacex

I looked at em Drax. Very interesting.  Its somewhat helpful to me, having looked at solar curves at least for the last fifty years as a ham.  I’ve always thought cycle 20 was one of the “ ringers” so to speak. With its “ steps down” For ya younguns cycle 20 had possibly the most energetic cluster we’ve seen since 1940s  Checkitout. allegedly went into Gamma region. Triggered magnetic mines during the vietnam war as well. caused a lot of “ issues”. 

Try Aug 4 1972 horsehead  CME in a search string.  Should yield ya a mess of cool stuff!

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I looked at em Drax. Very interesting.  Its somewhat helpful to me, having looked at solar curves at least for the last fifty years as a ham.  I’ve always thought cycle 20 was one of the “ ringers” so to speak. With its “ steps down” For ya younguns cycle 20 had possibly the most energetic cluster we’ve seen since 1940s  Checkitout. allegedly went into Gamma region. Triggered magnetic mines during the vietnam war as well. caused a lot of “ issues”. 

Try Aug 4 1972 horsehead  CME in a search string.  Should yield ya a mess of cool stuff!

Very interesting. I'm reading now on Wikipedia that it did indeed have a "historic series of solar flares and coronal mass ejections", and what you just mentioned about mines:

An extremely active active region, McMath 11976, produced a historic series of solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) in August 1972. One CME traveled to Earth in a record low of 14.6 hours and produced a strong geomagnetic storm that caused widespread electrical and communications grid disturbances and the accidental detonation of numerous U.S. Navy magnetic sea mines in North Vietnam.

Yikes.

Also very interesting that a cycle you remember to be a bit odd in that regard immediately succeeded SC19, the most active one on record. I've read and heard in many places that the activity around 1957-1959 was particularly extreme.

• Like 1

The high rising phase slope of SC 19 may have been a good predictor that it was going to be a doozy!  

https://ibb.co/ZcjSC7vI

3 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I personally “ cut my teeth” piqued my interest during cycle 19!  It caused a huge upsurge in amateur radio! 

I've often heard hams talk about the glory days of amateur radio around that time when you could "work the world" with just a few watts and a wire.

I'm excited that the 10 meter band has opened up with the increased solar activity.  Lots of domestic and DX activity on that band while just a year ago there was nothing on 10m.

3 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Also very interesting that a cycle you remember to be a bit odd in that regard immediately succeeded SC19, the most active one on record. I've read and heard in many places that the activity around 1957-1959 was particularly extreme.

SC16-SC19 were monotonically increasing; SC21-24 were monotonically decreasing.  The only way is up for SC25.

Edited by Drax Spacex
10m
  • Like 2

the historical data sets ( the ones on solen.info solar cycles 1-20)

I suck at reading german perhaps Min could post a link to the running Potsdam A index? or another kind individual for our direct comparison. Must be available SOMEWHERE over there!  Tnx 3g! 

Heck I’ve a dutch buddy! He already thinks im whacko 🤣 shouldn’t be too hard to get him interested if nobody else is geeky enough. They should be publicly available. 

By the way y’all are lucky we didn’t call the wavelengths 10 yards vs meters!  hahaha 

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

the historical data sets ( the ones on solen.info solar cycles 1-20)

I suck at reading german perhaps Min could post a link to the running Potsdam A index? or another kind individual for our direct comparison. Must be available SOMEWHERE over there!  Tnx 3g! 

Heck I’ve a dutch buddy! He already thinks im whacko 🤣 shouldn’t be too hard to get him interested if nobody else is geeky enough. They should be publicly available. 

By the way y’all are lucky we didn’t call the wavelengths 10 yards vs meters!  hahaha 

Yes, Solen is a good source for that. I like it because it compares a number of different indicators.

If you want the Potsdam original data you can get it here...  https://www.gfz-potsdam.de/sektion/geomagnetismus/daten-produkte-dienste/geomagnetischer-kp-index You just need to click the English language button.

In order to download the complete dataset you will need an FTP Client - like FileZilla ... https://filezilla-project.org/

then download the FTP file... 

ftp://ftp.gfz-potsdam.de/pub/home/obs/kp-ap