AR13165 - M-flares

WildWill

8 hours ago, mozy said:

It sure has quieted down a lot compared to yesterday (activity tends to pick up after I write stuff / think like this) so I'm trying it again :P

Jokes aside, the region seems to have decayed quite a bit. and the delta definitely looks weaker.

Howdy! 
To me, visually, most all the ARs look a bit "washed out". Spots look more grey, less black, less contrast. They looked tired to me. It was kinda like this across the sun, maybe a week ago, probably less. Then, its like the sun was pulsing as everything kinda "darkened" up. There was better clarity, much more definition and contrast in the spots. It has seemed to have some kinda pulsing cycle to me. It's like they all (spots) look kinda washed out and a few days, they've come back again - all dark dark spots, clearly defined, good contrast and definition. They all look darker and better definition between umbrae and penumbrae. And a few days later...  apparently it seems to be somewhat irregular cycle. But I've noticed this kind of behavior over the last 6/8 months. 

To me, visually, it seems as though the sun is pulsing in waves. A few days darker, a few days more washed out  looking again... etc.

I had thought perhaps it was the atmospheric conditions. We were getting Saharan dust clouds on and off already, but no correlation at all. Same with other atmospheric conditions. (Earths atmosphere), drew a blank. 

Well, perhaps our tired puppy, AR13165 will put on another show tomorrow before it rounds the limb!! This one popped up near the meridian and grew a great deal within the first 24 hours, and it has been popping off flares prettily much ever since. 

Stay tuned to space weather live and find out what will happen with this one as it rounds the bend and it no longer contributes to the background flux levels. Will we fall back to B (boring)5 or 6? Or will we maintain a C background flux?

Gonna have to wait to find out. Checkers anyone? Acey-Deucey? 

Cheers!

WnA

• Like 1

The strongest flare so far, the M6.3, is the 16th strongest flare of the SC so far.
This round has not been particularly strong in terms of peak strength, maxing out at M6, with no X flares or stronger Ms.
However, with the sheer frequency of M flares, and the extremely high background flux, I think this might be the most active period of the SC so far, or at least the second most! In terms of average x-ray flux, background flux, or frequency of M1+ flares.  Basically, by all metrics except peak strength of the strongest flares, the only area where this active period has been lacking compared to previous.
But hey, it's great to see so much activity after what feels like months of quiet! Here's to Solar Cycle 25!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Orneno said:

The strongest flare so far, the M6.3, is the 16th strongest flare of the SC so far.
This round has not been particularly strong in terms of peak strength, maxing out at M6, with no X flares or stronger Ms.
However, with the sheer frequency of M flares, and the extremely high background flux, I think this might be the most active period of the SC so far, or at least the second most! In terms of average x-ray flux, background flux, or frequency of M1+ flares.  Basically, by all metrics except peak strength of the strongest flares, the only area where this active period has been lacking compared to previous.
But hey, it's great to see so much activity after what feels like months of quiet! Here's to Solar Cycle 25!

Amen!

I'm thinking about the background flux, its back down into the C1-C2 Range, which is low considering we were in C5-C8 yesterday. Is the Region decaying? 

It is still shooting out M-Class Flares back to back, which is really interesting to me cuz i've always had the impression that stronger M/X Class Flares weaken the AR and take some spark out of them - this is not at all the case for this lil fella

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

Impressive. Intuitively it felt like the last barrage from earlier this year had more activity, but perhaps that was due to more longer-duration flares with associated CMEs, many of which in addition had Earth-directed components.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The number of M-class flares this year is also pretty impressive when compared to previous cycle. When we look at C, M and X it’s a year that we didn’t see in SC24!

I know, it’s odd, isn’t it? The sunspot numbers are below SC24, but flare numbers are higher! Usually there’s a close correlation between sunspot number and number of flares, but that correlation seems different here in the first part of SC25! 
What could cause this? 🤔