CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Region 3141

MinYoongi

48 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

‘Troublesome’ in the way that it could cause elevated solar activity, a sunspot that’s troublesome is a sunspot that causes a lot of activity. But fearmongers will read it as ‘hell will break loose’.

words can be easily misinterpreted…

Indeed. I just finished a clarification with a gal I know very well ( 40 yrs) add in our differences in gender + fear. amen!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Please dont jump to conclusions. Sara is a dear friend of mine and she has a tiktok channel dedicated against sun related fearmongering. She is working for the Airforce as a Spaceweather Forecaster and therefore just means this AR could be an active "troublemaker" making her job stressful. Not actually troublesome for random people or technology on ground.

If you say so, my apologies. 

However, it would really be better if she clarified what she meant when she says something like "troublesome", out of context it can be interpreted the wrong way.

Back to topic, the region is gaining intermediate spots, the blue (right) big spot is also having some red spots nearby. still only beta? Its hard for me to tell when it can be considered gamma. 

can a spot grow without getting complexer? does the darker color in the coloured magnetogram indicates spot strength?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Okay, to me this part here :
5763294171a77a69a50988c4416180a2.png
looked "gamma" because there are polarities intermixed. 

@Philalethes Bythos your opinion? :D finally an AR we can talk about again.
also, it seems to still be growing

by the way, the big blue blob got darker in its core in the last 2-3 hours again, does that mean more shear/stronger magnetic field/ more strength?

Yeah, first interesting one in a while; I'm tracking it with the transition gifs on the drive (here), though still manually, will probably not work more on that until activity really starts ramping up good.

There does seem to be hints of intermixing, but without any negative umbrae I would be hesitant to classify it as gamma. To me it still seems like just beta.

As for the darkening on the m-gram, that does indeed indicate a stronger magnetic field strength, but not necessarily more shear. As I've mentioned previously I'm unaware of any readily available and reliable visual indications of shear, so if anyone knows of any that would be interesting to look at. That being said, seems like it's become a bit less dark again since you posted that (below gif is roughly ~30 hours):

lapse-m-cropped.gif

• Like 1

Does anybody understand why the El Teide Magnetogram shows this region (and 3140) differently to all other stations ? Other regions seem to compare fairly well.

I chose Hawaii as an arbitrary comparison, but it was updated at a similar time.

tdzqa221108t1714_dim-860.thumb.jpg.129fa34d79825a646ce86c7dc98e5b1e.jpg

mlzqa221108t1714_dim-860.thumb.jpg.8e3bb94f1be0fbea6d73abb0c79a150f.jpg

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Does someone know if the fast radio emission is from the south east eruption or center disc?

to me it looks like south region but idk

Well I definitely seen material being ejected in the SE and I don't in the center disk, although there's a flare there too.  So I'd say my guess is SE.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, 3gMike said:

Does anybody understand why the El Teide Magnetogram shows this region (and 3140) differently to all other stations ? Other regions seem to compare fairly well.

I chose Hawaii as an arbitrary comparison, but it was updated at a similar time.

tdzqa221108t1714_dim-860.thumb.jpg.129fa34d79825a646ce86c7dc98e5b1e.jpg

mlzqa221108t1714_dim-860.thumb.jpg.8e3bb94f1be0fbea6d73abb0c79a150f.jpg

it could be a problem with the El Teide Magnetogram 

It looks like this region grew substantially since I last saw it, is that true? I don't see any deltas or particularly complex configurations, but I do like where this is going

image.thumb.png.d2b145206ebeef2f1a705422c14e51d7.png

Too bad it's already facing Earth so it doesn't have too much time left to launch anything our way

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m a little excited about the rapid growth of negative region north of the main leader spot.  Starting to see some smaller spots in the intensitygram as well.  This would seem to represent something “delta-ish” if it keeps developing… I also seem to recall anecdotal evidence that sunspots with the 90 degree shifted north/south orientation instead of the normal east/west config are less stable and more prone to flaring.

Alas, I do wholly expect this guy to rotate harmlessly around until it gets to the limb before absolutely unloading.

6 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Apparently this spot is delta, I don’t see one though. If it’s there it must be very small (or I’m just bad with magnetic classifications)

Where does it say its delta? I dont see a delta. do you @Vancanneyt Sander or @Philalethes Bythos ?

e89afa8d27f1b34641e37f3ba76e7314.pngb4f733d335d5aabc20f40b6b6df0eb56.png

The Penumbras may touch a little bit but not a delta imo

On 11/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, 3gMike said:

The image differences could be because they are observations at different wavelengths (630.2nm for Photosphere vs. 854.2nm for Chromosphere) or different magnetic field type (longitudinal wing vs. longitudinal core vs. vector).  El Teide has background areas that look like HMI dopplergram features - a few incorrect images included in their image average perhaps?

Edited by Drax Spacex
dopplergram
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

The image differences could be because they are observations at different wavelengths (630.2nm for Photosphere vs. 854.2nm for Chromosphere) or different magnetic field type (longitudinal wing vs. longitudinal core vs. vector).

But its the same Satellite so why is the magnetogram or certain wavelengths not updated?

last update 7h ago that makes no sense to me.. magnetogram 3h ago

well, back to topic. where is the delta supposed to be?

"

Region 3141
continued to be in a growth phase and formed a delta in the northernmost
area of the Region." I dont really see it. honestly.

9 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Yeah it looks like an image processing error at the El Teide site in producing the averaged image.  Features appear and disappear over large areas, e.g. upper right,   Start 2022-11-09 End 2022-11-10

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/scaleView/view.php?configFile=configs/averageMagnetogram10min_860.cfg&productIndex=6

So you think thats why SDO is sometimes not updated? Last update some wavelengths was an hour ago, no Magneto/intensigram for 4h

But that makes no sense, the last picture you linked is from 17:00/18:00 UTC but the last update was after that

ah, you probably dont mean the SDO issue.. nvm