Region 3141

MinYoongi

10 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No delta 😉

thanks :) to me its just weird that the AI from ASSA flags it as BGD. Saw this happen a few times already.

looking at the magnetogram i dont even see gamma cuz theres no mixing and activity going on

Its getting more intermixed, right? 

Long duration C Class Flare now.

3 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

I definitely don't see any delta either. There's a positive penumbra clinging to the negative umbra, but that does not a delta make.

Thank you :) ! Those ai's cant be trusted :D 

10 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

Now is probably too early to tell if there's an associated CME, right? The Type II's low velocity makes me think it won't have one, but who knows.

Someone reported on the other thread that the CME is already visible in some imagery (maybe GOES loops?). Also, the Type II had a high velocity, not a low one (900 and change km/s). 

We need to wait for LASCO to confirm, but it’s looking like it did launch a CME, and probably a substantial or at least fast one. 

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mozy said:

Woah surprise moderate M flare

Isnt the region complex? Why surprised? :D

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

A nice velocity on that type II from this, 900km/s

yes!

10 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Someone reported on the other thread that the CME is already visible in some imagery (maybe GOES loops?). Also, the Type II had a high velocity, not a low one (900 and change km/s). 

We need to wait for LASCO to confirm, but it’s looking like it did launch a CME, and probably a substantial or at least fast one. 

Is it earth directed? partially, glancing blow?

because when i look at suvi it seems to snap to the east 9049760d2dedad07fbe7033c1da340a1.png

37 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Isnt the region complex? Why surprised? :D

It didn’t look complex enough for an upper-M level flare to me, but surprises happen. 

38 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Is it earth directed? partially, glancing blow?

We need LASCO to tell. However, given the AR’s location, any Earth impact would be highly unlikely. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Orneno said:

It didn’t look complex enough for an upper-M level flare to me, but surprises happen. 

We need LASCO to tell. However, given the AR’s location, any Earth impact would be highly unlikely. 

How do you determine using AR location if an earth impact would be likely or unlikely. Newbie question for sure. thanks.

1 uur geleden, RajSim zei:

How do you determine using AR location if an earth impact would be likely or unlikely. Newbie question for sure. thanks.

Please read the article in our help section on the app/site “how do we know if a CME is Earth directed and when it’s going to arrive”

3 uren geleden, MinYoongi zei:

The Region is complexifying and growing. what do you guys say?

Growing: yes. Complexity: nope, sweet Beta

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

But it doesn’t look complex (still beta) so odds are very low.

Okay, to me this part here :
5763294171a77a69a50988c4416180a2.png
looked "gamma" because there are polarities intermixed. 

@Philalethes Bythos your opinion? :D finally an AR we can talk about again.
also, it seems to still be growing

by the way, the big blue blob got darker in its core in the last 2-3 hours again, does that mean more shear/stronger magnetic field/ more strength?

• Like 1

Hey guys I just had a question about this tweet from Sara Housseal

Now she says it could be troublesome but I don’t know why she’s jumping to that conclusion. Even if she only means some space launches could have trouble its only a beta with an impulsive M5 to its name so I don’t know why she singled it out like that. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Orneno said:

She's just looking for attention.  It's not dangerous.

Exaggerating danger is a very effective way to get traffic.  Note how it worked to get your interaction.

Please dont jump to conclusions. Sara is a dear friend of mine and she has a tiktok channel dedicated against sun related fearmongering. She is working for the Airforce as a Spaceweather Forecaster and therefore just means this AR could be an active "troublemaker" making her job stressful. Not actually troublesome for random people or technology on ground.

• Like 4