AR 13088 The sunspot that keeps giving!

2 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Lmao but it’s true 

Yeah, we’ll… at least I made ya smile…maybe not a fruit loops moment, but you did laugh!  and like ya said, never know! 

Stay on top of those aliens Captain! We’re all counting on you! Or on bottom?? In Antarctica?? Well, you know what we mean…. I don’t.
Cheers!

WnAK

2 minutes ago, WildWill said:

In Antarctica

You weren’t supposed to know that I was there. Who told you? Anyways I hope for another X class. It would be nice. But hey, who knows lol

18 minutes ago, WildWill said:

it is a very rare sunspot, or so I hear… 😏

…and of course, what’s wrong with wishful thinking?? 😎

Well nothing is wrong with wishful thinking

23 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

Thanks for the correction, although it is ridiculous. 

I understand Stonyhurst heliographic coordinates have the directions flipped, but if you look at the rotation from the top down (Northpole) its counterclockwise and the sunspots head EASTWARD. 

I don't disagree with you, and it's cool to learn something new, but I was describing the location as it appears, which I think is less confusing. 

Just a moment kind Sir. If you stand on the North Pole of the sun, looking downwards, it does indeed rotate counterclockwise. Which means the spots move from what we call the east limb to the what we call west limb, or westwards. The spots rise in the east and set in the west, that’s how I remember it… It would probably be easier if we used different terms for other orbs. Like we could make mork left and mindy right as they are here on earth. Then on the sun it would be mindy east, mork west…confused yet? I am.

I think imma gonna stick with rises in the east and sets in the west, which if you think about it, is correct. East is derived from the word for rising and west the word for setting. 

Cheers.

WnAK

• Like 2

AR 13088 is still active! In the latest Solar Orbiter / EUI image from this morning, it's now reaching the western limb, which means that it will come into view from Earth within 1-2 days. Its heating of the corona is already clearly visible near the south-eastern limb in SDO/AIA images.

Also, it produced an estimated M9-class flare on Sept. 5, which triggered a major solar energetic particle event that has been lasting for several days!

BTW, about east and west, it's nothing specific to the Sun, but that's the way it is in astronomy. And this is perfectly logical, because you're looking in the direction of the sky and not at the ground below your feet (which is what is represented in a geography map). So if you keep pointing north upwards (as a convention), because you have to turn around to look at the sky and not the ground, then east and west are flipped!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FredSchuller said:

AR 13088 is still active! In the latest Solar Orbiter / EUI image from this morning, it's now reaching the western limb, which means that it will come into view from Earth within 1-2 days. Its heating of the corona is already clearly visible near the south-eastern limb in SDO/AIA images.

Also, it produced an estimated M9-class flare on Sept. 5, which triggered a major solar energetic particle event that has been lasting for several days!

BTW, about east and west, it's nothing specific to the Sun, but that's the way it is in astronomy. And this is perfectly logical, because you're looking in the direction of the sky and not at the ground below your feet (which is what is represented in a geography map). So if you keep pointing north upwards (as a convention), because you have to turn around to look at the sky and not the ground, then east and west are flipped!

Hey! Do you mind sharing the EUI imagery with me?

6 hours ago, FredSchuller said:

BTW, about east and west, it's nothing specific to the Sun, but that's the way it is in astronomy.

This is factually incorrect; as mentioned in a thread not too long ago, it's actually an old convention which has been changed for every single astronomical object except for a single one: Sol. In other words, it's highly specific, and not even really reasonable; it's simply vestigial at this point.

The new convention was established over 60 years ago:

In 1961, Commission 16 (i.e., Physical Study of the Planets) of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) established labels on the moon. They deemed east as the same direction as Mare Crisium on the moon. This means that, when you’re gazing at the moon, Mare Crisium is to the right, and therefore to the east. The IAU then applied this same rule to all celestial bodies but the sun. For some unexplained reason, the sun remained labeled as it had previously.