Region 3085

Philalethes

2 hours ago, Maurizio Marsigli said:

No one saw the area with many spots to the southwest today!!! 

When you say "southwest", do you mean to the left as seen from Earth? Cardinal directions can be confusing, since "west" would be to the right if you were standing on the surface of Sol (EDIT: never mind, that's obviously not correct, I just realized; cardinal directions can be confusing indeed, incredibly complicated stuff). Just wondering, since there's a hitherto unnamed region to the bottom right as well, and both that one and the ones to the bottom left have grown quite fast.

2 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Wow that grew quickly ! Best to start a new thread if we want to discuss that one.

Yep, and agreed.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
confusion

5 minutes ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

Is that New sunspot dangerous ? It have grown 10 time from it's original size in few days only, so i ask is they are risks for us ? For Power grid and Satellites and stuff ? That New one is scary 

No, no and no :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

Is that New sunspot dangerous ? It have grown 10 time from it's original size in few days only, so i ask is they are risks for us ? For Power grid and Satellites and stuff ? That New one is scary 

There is nothing scary about sunspots. It's not abnormal behaviour for sunspots to appear quickly. It is not overly active just now and because of its location any flaring and subsequent CME will not be directly facing Earth. It will most likely be numbered 3088, NOAA makes that call, as that is the next designated number. Perhaps someone wants to make a new thread?

You need to chill Mogh LOB. IMHO

3 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

When you say "southwest", do you mean to the left as seen from Earth? Cardinal directions can be confusing, since "west" would be to the right if you were standing on the surface of Sol (EDIT: never mind, that's obviously not correct, I just realized; cardinal directions can be confusing indeed, incredibly complicated stuff). Just wondering, since there's a hitherto unnamed region to the bottom right as well, and both that one and the ones to the bottom left have grown quite fast.

Yep, and agreed.

The left hand side of the sun as we look at it is considered East and the right hand side of the Sun as we look at it is considered West. Active regions appear around the East limb and disappear around the West limb.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

The left hand side of the sun as we look at it is considered East and the right hand side of the Sun as we look at it is considered West.

That was what I was thinking about first, but that doesn't quite make sense to me. I see that this convention is used in various maps as well, but why exactly is that? At least the way we use cardinal directions here is by defining east and west by the direction of rotation relative to north and south, i.e. that east is counterclockwise and west is clockwise. Sol rotates in the same direction as Earth, so this convention strikes me as odd. Perhaps there are historical reasons for it I'm missing, I see from some searches that I'm not the first one to wonder about this. I guess it's not really the topic of discussion either, but that's quite curious.

EDIT: some information I found after digging a bit:

In 1961, Commission 16 (i.e., Physical Study of the Planets) of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) established labels on the moon. They deemed east as the same direction as Mare Crisium on the moon. This means that, when you’re gazing at the moon, Mare Crisium is to the right, and therefore to the east. The IAU then applied this same rule to all celestial bodies but the sun. For some unexplained reason, the sun remained labeled as it had previously.

Well, that explains it; old convention that was changed to reflect how we think about rotating objects in general for every object...except Sol. Typical!

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
extra information
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

There’s nothing to be worried about. Worst case scenario we get a X class (or best case scenario  lol) but even then we’re don’t need to worry about it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Well, that explains it; old convention that was changed to reflect how we think about rotating objects in general for every object...except Sol. Typical!

It all adds to the mystery of Sol doesn't it?😄

N.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

That was what I was thinking about first, but that doesn't quite make sense to me. I see that this convention is used in various maps as well, but why exactly is that? At least the way we use cardinal directions here is by defining east and west by the direction of rotation relative to north and south, i.e. that east is counterclockwise and west is clockwise. Sol rotates in the same direction as Earth, so this convention strikes me as odd. Perhaps there are historical reasons for it I'm missing, I see from some searches that I'm not the first one to wonder about this. I guess it's not really the topic of discussion either, but that's quite curious.

EDIT: some information I found after digging a bit:

This way, sunspots rise in the East and set on the west!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, 3gMike said:

I think it is usually updated weekly. 

I think it is usually updated weekly. 

71484c479447b2a470bd56b8c556eb3d.png
https://gyazo.com/71484c479447b2a470bd56b8c556eb3d

Thanks for suggesting Gyazo link. That seems to work.🙂

Here is the update. You can clearly see that the area between Carrington 270 and 360 has seen significant development in both hemispheres.

9d4117c9eb98f015be5c605ed03ba41b.gif