Region 3038

MinYoongi

8 hours ago, 3gMike said:

I've produced a brief movie to show development of this spot.

It can be found here  https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkbrs066aweb7s7/Sunspot 3038 Development_HR.webm?dl=0

If you prefer a lower resolution try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwh2u3todzu233n/Sunspot 3038 Development.webm?dl=0

nice video mike :) 

On 6/20/2022 at 4:58 PM, Neo said:

It can't be a coincidence that the Universe has sent me to this post just as this sun spot was forming, especially so rapidly. This one is definitely one to keep an eye on!

Most of us grew up at some point and realized we weren't the center of the universe.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
typo
  • Like 1

Not really an expert on this stuff by any means, so I am curious as to what I learn here. You all seem like a very interesting and amazing group of folks! :D

4 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Most of us grew up at some point and realized we weren't the center of the universe.

Not by any means. :D

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I wish i could look at the regions magnetic layout, but theres a fire at stanford and now SDO is getting no updates.

Unfortunately that also affects the farside images - also hosted at stanford.

But I guess the locals have more to worry about https://stanforddaily.com/2022/06/21/lights-out-campus-wide-outage-hits-stanford-amid-solstice-fires/

Edited by 3gMike

3 hours ago, WildWill said:

Kinda remind anyone of 3014??

3g - thank you for the movie, very cool!

WW

Not exactly...... There is a significant difference in terms of area, with 3038 starting from a much smaller area, and I feel that 3014 grew faster. However, 3038 may have more spots. What do you think?

I have interleaved data for 3014 with data for 3038 (highlighted yellow)

12428304_Comparison3014_3038.jpg.aa22a8890d2a7fca141e8ab7e0232966.jpg

Data taken from Heliophysics Event Catalogue (Helio HEC)

Thanks for the comment re the video. I would like to develop it further to overlay the synoptic map for each day.

Edited by 3gMike
added info re interleaved data
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

Not exactly...... There is a significant difference in terms of area, with 3038 starting from a much smaller area, and I feel that 3014 grew faster. However, 3038 may have more spots. What do you think?

Thanks for the comment re the video. I would like to develop it further to overlay the synoptic map for each day.

Delta? How can they tell without SDO

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Delta? How can they tell without SDO

I think you may have misinterpreted the table. Yellow lines are for 3038 with alternate lines being 3014. Apologies for not making that clear.

3 hours ago, Sammyy said:

Wasn't there a spot which grew rapidly in the past days too, or is this the same one? Because I thought the other spot had passed towards the side

This is the one that has grown fastest in the last few days.

7 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I wish i could look at the regions magnetic layout, but theres a fire at stanford and now SDO is getting no updates.

The best view of magnetic layout for now is probably the synoptic map.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 3gMike said:

I have interleaved data for 3014 with data for 3038 (highlighted yellow)

I think 💭 still not done yet! Far from it (fingers crossed behind my back). They both grew very rapidly, 3014 was bigger, but we’ll have to see what 3038 does. 

Visually, to me at least, they seem similar in their growth and expanse. As I recall, I looked at 3014 just before lunch and went back a couple of hours later - and a new spot had appeared (not a tiny one either). I had the same experience with 3038 on Sunday and Tuesday! For me, that is just like “way cool”.

I need to start keeping a journal of my observations… while I like going through all the online resources and images, data, there’s nothing like looking at it with 8min 20 sec delay, with your own eyeball!

Re: the vid,  mp! Like to see anything else you produce!

WW

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

3246a9bb566fb196442b52b792a3beaf.png

Seems like we wont get any SDO beauties for a while... @Orneno @3gMike @Newbie :( 

Yeah bit sad Min. least we still have GOES Xray Flux and let everyone be thankful there aren't huge AR's all over the surface of the Sun at the moment, shooting forth X flares. There is always a bright side. :)

N.

58 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Yeah bit sad Min. least we still have GOES Xray Flux and let everyone be thankful there aren't huge AR's all over the surface of the Sun at the moment, shooting forth X flares. There is always a bright side. :)

N.

That’s the bright side???

NOT!

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

3246a9bb566fb196442b52b792a3beaf.png

Seems like we wont get any SDO beauties for a while... @Orneno @3gMike @Newbie :( 

No wonder I haven’t seen any sheering and 3038 hasn’t seemed to change, or move! lol.

9 hours ago, Sammyy said:

Wasn't there a spot which grew rapidly in the past days too, or is this the same one? Because I thought the other spot had passed towards the side

I think you mean 3014 - largest sunspot group so far in the cycle! It grew very rapidly and exited the west limb around the 25th of May. I was just comparing this group to 3014. Both started small and got real big real quick! Blossomed, so to speak!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WildWill said:

That’s the bright side???

NOT!

Believe me WildWill, there is nothing, I repeat nothing worse than having a mammoth flare and not all the imagery and data available to analyse it. No words to describe! 

• Like 1

just caught the sun again! Did I mention that It is really hot? It was still 100*F at 18:30 (Texas Time) when I went out.

AR13040 has moved in from the limb a bit and appears quite “healthy “ - very dark umbra, very little penumbra (if any). AR13038 seems to be weakening a little. The two big spots ate there, very distinct, but I think it may have lost a few spots in between. It also “seems” like the two big spots are a little farther apart, but that could just be me!

I tried to get a couple of pics with my cell phone, but none of the pics are with sharing. Hopefully, I’ll get my new camera going this weekend. 

The seeing conditions were not great. Catching a glimpse between clouds earlier in the day and then between tree branches starting around 6:45 pm (Texas Time!). All in all, it was cool! With the haze, I was having some difficulty getting the focus right really sharp. So, I couldn’t really up the magnification very high (I went to about 40x today as opposed to 125-240x to zoom in on ARs). It is also very windy out today. Hopefully, it will set overnight and be calm in the morning. Just in time for the planetary alignment with the moon! I’m going to try and draw the sun tomorrow - and try to take a couple of pics with my cell.

We’re gonna go out and howl at the moon now…

(Alaskan Malemutes don’t bark they howl and they talk!) Alex is very talkative, so we talk a lot! We also howl quite a bit - most nights! 

WTC

(William the Conqueror)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WildWill said:

just caught the sun again! Did I mention that It is really hot? It was still 100*F at 18:30 (Texas Time) when I went out.

AR13040 has moved in from the limb a bit and appears quite “healthy “ - very dark umbra, very little penumbra (if any). AR13038 seems to be weakening a little. The two big spots ate there, very distinct, but I think it may have lost a few spots in between. It also “seems” like the two big spots are a little farther apart, but that could just be me!

I tried to get a couple of pics with my cell phone, but none of the pics are with sharing. Hopefully, I’ll get my new camera going this weekend. 

The seeing conditions were not great. Catching a glimpse between clouds earlier in the day and then between tree branches starting around 6:45 pm (Texas Time!). All in all, it was cool! With the haze, I was having some difficulty getting the focus right really sharp. So, I couldn’t really up the magnification very high (I went to about 40x today as opposed to 125-240x to zoom in on ARs). It is also very windy out today. Hopefully, it will set overnight and be calm in the morning. Just in time for the planetary alignment with the moon! I’m going to try and draw the sun tomorrow - and try to take a couple of pics with my cell.

We’re gonna go out and howl at the moon now…

(Alaskan Malemutes don’t bark they howl and they talk!) Alex is very talkative, so we talk a lot! We also howl quite a bit - most nights! 

WTC

(William the Conqueror)

Thanks for the update WildWill, good to have an 'eye in the sky' when SDO is down.  :)

N.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WildWill said:

AR13038 seems to be weakening a little. The two big spots ate there, very distinct, but I think it may have lost a few spots in between. It also “seems” like the two big spots are a little farther apart, but that could just be me!

I think this http://helio.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/hec/hec_gui_free.php?sql=select+*+from+noaa_active_region_summary+where+nar%3D13038 supports your view. It has increased in area, but has fewer spots now and is downgraded to Beta today.

SPWC is still producing daily synoptic maps.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-synoptic-map

I wonder what backup imagery SPWC is using?  Or do they have direct access to the satellite data or an alternative redundant source for images (not just Stanford).

White light images of the Sun showing sunspots can be taken by amateur astronomers with a suitable telescope, solar filter, and camera.  The magnetic configuration would be absent of course.

6 hours ago, carfteh said:

Ah thanks - good data!

I captured this image of the Sun this afternoon from my backyard with a solar filter attached to the front of my telescope.  Looks about right (though low res and a bit dusty) vis-à-vis an official Australian observation site.

https://ibb.co/0BggLQg

Edited by Drax Spacex
Added image link