Region 3038

MinYoongi

31 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Wow, that region really grew over the night.

It has flared 2 times in the last hour, Around C2-C3. 

Great stuff Min I'll check it out too!

See how that yellow area to RHS is almost surrounded by blue? That's the area to watch! If some red comes through there could be exciting. :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Great stuff Min I'll check it out too!

See how that yellow area to RHS is almost surrounded by blue? That's the area to watch! If some red comes through there could be exciting. :)

Sorry but what does RHS mean?

Thank you:) 

7 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Wow, that region really grew over the night.

It has flared 2 times in the last hour, Around C2-C3. 

It certainly did. The spots started multiplying yesterday, but really increased overnight.

Looking visually, yesterday, it appeared “darker”, and with more contrast. Now, it seems less so, bu bigger and with more spots.

I made a drawing yesterday, but through the telescope, diagonal, Powermate(barlow) & eyepiece, my view is flipped both horizontally and vertically. 

WW

Edited by WildWill

46 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Does 3038 have a delta?

According to solen it does:
Region 13038 [N15E08] developed quickly gaining spots and area. The region is heading towards a DKC classification but wasn't quite there at midnight. A major flare is possible. A small magnetic delta has formed in a leading central penumbra. C1 flares: C1.0 @ 08:24, C1.4 @ 09:11, C1.3 @ 13:52, C1.6 @ 19:40 UT.

I'm not so convinced, it needs to develop more.

N.

Edited by Newbie

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

Region 13038 [N15E08] developed quickly gaining spots and area. The region is heading towards a DKC classification but wasn't quite there at midnight. A major flare is possible. A small magnetic delta has formed in a leading central penumbra. C1 flares: C1.0 @ 08:24, C1.4 @ 09:11, C1.3 @ 13:52, C1.6 @ 19:40 UT.

N.

I'm not convinced it will develop, unless the magnetic fields in that region have changed since the synoptic map was drawn at 02:51

synoptic-map_jun20_02-51(small).jpg.44ccfcfaef69cef01a4d074be8143770.jpg

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the curvature on the field boundary may be preventing the two elements coming into closer proximity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

N.

On Sat, before it grew new spots, it was very dark black! (Visually). You could see it with a mk-1 eyeball looking through a sheet of ND 5.0 filter. I have a couple of drawings I had made. It seems to me, that as it grew new spots, it became lighter. Less opacity. Like tipping over an ink well onto a white tablecloth. At first, it’s a really dark spot - and then as I t spreads, it becomes less opaque & less well defined. Saturday, the face of the sun was amazing. 3030, 3032, , 3035, 3035 & 3038 were all incredibly dark, with clear definition (almost no penumbra around the umbra). It was a very stunning view visually.  

The only spot visible in 3038 was the one on the east. The (now largest) spot on the west side of the AR, wasn’t even there yesterday.

At least those were my visual observations for what it’s worth. 

its another cloudless sky here today, I hope to check it out again this afternoon. With 3038, I had been looking at it almost every couple of hours. It was very cool seeing new spots from viewing to viewing. what else in the sky is so dynamic? 

Im really looking forward to getting my camera going, so I can sit inside (68*F) and watch on my 65” 4K UHD TV! 104 this weekend, heat index 110-115*F! Most be all those sunspots making it hotter here! I understand Western Europe is also having a heat wave. Those darn spots! 

Cheers!

WW & ATG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

I'm not convinced it will develop, unless the magnetic fields in that region have changed since the synoptic map was drawn at 02:51

synoptic-map_jun20_02-51(small).jpg.44ccfcfaef69cef01a4d074be8143770.jpg

I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the curvature on the field boundary may be preventing the two elements coming into closer proximity.

Im confused. Does the region now have a delta or not?

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Likely because it’s a Monday 😂

indeed no delta so the odds are a bit exaggerated by SWPC. Not the first time.

Welcome back.

The region is still growing a bit.

@3gMike care to explain to me what you mean that it wont grow or smth because of the magnetic fields on the synoptic map? interested

49 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

@3gMike care to explain to me what you mean that it wont grow or smth because of the magnetic fields on the synoptic map? interested

Yes, from the synoptic map you can see that the negative spots are sitting in the centre of a cavity, which is almost being closed off by the positive field looping back towards the east. Looking on the HMI Magnetogram you can see that the negative spots are sitting in the centre of a strong, almost circular (yellow) field. I suspect that is effectively constraining the negative spots from getting any closer to the boundary with the positive spots, therefore making it less likely that we will see a delta. It is really no more than a suspicion, but it will be interesting to see how things develop.

3 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

But why did noaa assign the region a 10% Xclass flare chance?

There are a lot of factors involved, so I guess we should give them a bit of leeway.

I found this rather technical, but interesting, article describing some of the factors involved. If you do not want to wade through all the detail it is worth looking at the Abstract on page 1 and the Summary & Conclusions on page 13.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/2017SW001595

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

7 hours ago, Neo said:

It can't be a coincidence that the Universe has sent me to this post just as this sun spot was forming, especially so rapidly. This one is definitely one to keep an eye on!

There have been 6 X-class flares, and many sunspots this year, its only a coincidence. 

Also, welcome to the forum!

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Neo said:

It can't be a coincidence that the Universe has sent me to this post just as this sun spot was forming, especially so rapidly. This one is definitely one to keep an eye on!

Enjoy the journey Neo :)