G2 geomagnetic storm (KP6)

Isatsuki San

it seems that the cme hit the earth's magnetic field and for now the bz is south with the solar wind at speeds 530, if the bz continues at this rate to the south, I think we could see a solar storm g3?, the hemispheric potential is at 110

Edited by Orneno

• Isatsuki San changed the title to geomagnetic storm kp 5 and possible kp6?
7 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

it seems that the cme hit the earth's magnetic field and for now the bz is south with the solar wind at speeds 530, if the bz continues at this rate to the south, I think we could see a solar storm g3?, the hemispheric potential is at 110

Yes, it feels like a G3 to me

Just now, MinYoongi said:

It feels like??? Are you a magnetometer Orneno 🤔😂💕

I wouldnt be surprised to see a lil Kp7 tonight tho

Yes, I am, I have magnetic crystals in my brain.

Actually, I was referring to the hemispheric power of 110 for like an hour.

• Like 2

Youre indeed very good at forecasting so i believe it :P

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

Yes, it feels like a G3 to me

I found something for you.

You were actually very correct about your feeling, we were really Close to a G3. This is the HP30/HP60 index which is more precise than the KP index. https://isdc.gfz-potsdam.de/index.php?id=152 

:)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Has CME arrived or has not arrived?   Jump in wind speed at APR-14 13:00UT, but not much change in density.  Are we currently seeing effects from CH-HSS, CME, or both?

-10 BZ for hours? Hemispheric power 110 for hours? Seems to me it has to be a CME. CH HSS’s don’t usually have such strong magnetic fields, do they? I thought they were more speed 

12 minutes ago, Orneno said:

-10 BZ for hours? Hemispheric power 110 for hours? Seems to me it has to be a CME. CH HSS’s don’t usually have such strong magnetic fields, do they? I thought they were more speed 

Sometimes they do! But very rarely. The highest i've seen was a G2 caused by a CH HSS in October 2019.

With speeds around 800 and Bz down to -12.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Orneno said:

The strength of the IMF sure seems like a CME… it could have just been a slower and not dense one 

Ya it does. It’s amazing how prolonged it’s staying high for as well. But still not as interesting as I was expecting this event to be.

4 minutes ago, Sunboi said:

Ya it does. It’s amazing how prolonged it’s staying high for as well. But still not as interesting as I was expecting this event to be.

I mean, I’m not gonna complain if a CME arrives on top of this…

I think that’s highly unlikely though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

Oh. The field is moderately North. Of course, after a day of hitting 100 GW and it gets dark here, it goes way North.

Now the hemispheric power is only 27 GW

Doesn't help my odds with passing clouds, a full moon, and it's below freezing with wind. 

I know right, for North America it was the worst possible timing, from just after sunrise to sunset 

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

I mean, I’m not gonna complain if a CME arrives on top of this…

I think that’s highly unlikely though

That density wall an hour ago with a quick increase in wind speed might have been something? But nothing too fancy. Mainly due to the darn BZ heading north. We might get a steep drop soon though. 

1 hour ago, Marcel de Bont said:

This is of course the CME from 11 April no doubt about it.

I agree.

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

The strength of the IMF sure seems like a CME… it could have just been a slower and not dense one 

This is right. I think the CME might have been slowed down due to the HSS? Definitely seen that happen a few times. It either got slowed down due to the CIR being in front of it and it not being able to plow through it or the HSS forcing the CME to the side only delivering a glancing blow. So it was either overcasted a tiny bit or maybe the two interacted with each other. 

3 minutes ago, Sunboi said:

That density wall an hour ago with a quick increase in wind speed might have been something? But nothing too fancy. Mainly due to the darn BZ heading north. We might get a steep drop soon though. 

Most likely not a new CME arrival if u ask me.. 

52 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I agree.

This is right. I think the CME might have been slowed down due to the HSS? Definitely seen that happen a few times. It either got slowed down due to the CIR being in front of it and it not being able to plow through it or the HSS forcing the CME to the side only delivering a glancing blow. So it was either overcasted a tiny bit or maybe the two interacted with each other. 

Most likely not a new CME arrival if u ask me.. 

Definitely nothing to be scared about 😂

It does seem like it merged or was deflected a bit by the HSS and didn’t pack the punch it had originally been forecasted with. It doesn’t matter too much to me as it’s a snowstorm right now… hopefully 2975 comes around with some fuel left to burn! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunboi said:

and didn’t pack the punch it had originally been forecasted with.

It seems pretty accurate, it was forecast as G2 and it reached G2.  Maybe longer-lived than normal, but it hit the strength and timing predictions pretty accurately.