AR 2974: M1 flare, weak CME

Sam Warfel

IMO, beware of "apps." Where are they getting their data from?

The useful part of the Glendale App is the social community aspect that gives a real time feedback on who is seeing aurora, where, right now.

Its other sections I take with a healthy pinch of salt, to be honest. For example, it is always claiming that "a substorm is developing" which leads to many false positives.

3 uren geleden, Cat Perkinton zei:

I am seeing lots of aurora sighting reports coming in on Glendale app, much further South than the stats seem to indicate - despite a very weak substorm, fair to middling hemispheric power, and a North facing IMF....is this just down to the solar wind density being slightly elevated or something else? 

Its hard to say what is causing the activity right now but its not really something to write home about. I do however not think it is from the M1 CME, that would be way too early.

9 uren geleden, Quilloz zei:

So do we know exactly how powerful this will be, or how much it will affect the Earth? I've been hearing wildly conflicting reports about its strength and how badly the CME's effects on Earth will be.

NOAA expects G1 conditions from 18 UTC to 21 UTC today but I think this is highly unlikely. I do not think the CME will arrive until after midnight UTC on the 28th. The faint halo outline doesn't give me too much hope either. While enhanced geomagnetic conditions will be possible, I do not expect storm conditions of Kp5 or more... but hope I am wrong!

14 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

At this point the chance of the CME being detected will go down rapidly unless the CH HSS velocities drop rapidly.

True - the "signal" or strength of the CME was lower than the "noise" of the CH HSS.  It is difficult to detect events with S/N ratio less than 0dB.  Difficult, but not impossible.

This is another case IMO of the difference images exaggerating the apparent strength of the CME when the normal coronograph imagery showed it to be a rather weak event.