AR 2974: M1 flare, weak CME

Sam Warfel

We just got an M1 flare, but not from the large and active 2975, but from the tiny, almost invisible, AR2974!  This seems quite surprising.
How could just a tiny AR produce a major flare?
Moreover, this feels familiar.  Didn't another almost invisible sunspot produce significant flaring recently? I can't remember if it was this region or an older one, but I know one did.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 12.33.53 AM.png

Edited by Orneno

• Sam Warfel changed the title to AR 2974: surprise performer?
4 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

latest_1024_0131.jpg

I was calm and I missed a notification of a class m flare in progress, so I quickly went to see which sunspot and it seems that it was sunspot 2974 and its magnetic field is beta?

Yup, that's what commented on

Also, we just got a type II radio emission!  CME, anyone?

Not directly earth-facing, but I've seen CMEs launch sideways in all directions, you never really know.  Even it was perfect center disk it could launch sideways and miss.

14 minutes ago, Orneno said:

¡Acabamos de obtener una bengala M1, pero no del gran y activo 2975, sino del pequeño, casi invisible, AR2974! Esto parece bastante sorprendente.
¿Cómo podría un pequeño AR producir una gran llamarada?
Además, esto se siente familiar. ¿Otra mancha solar casi invisible no produjo recientemente una llamarada significativa? No puedo recordar si fue esta región o una más antigua, pero sé que lo hizo.

Captura de pantalla 2022-03-25 a las 12.33.53 AM.png

and the sunspot that you speak of is an old one, it was the 12838 sunspot that caused a class x solar flare because it was fast growing, but it made sense because it was rapidly compressing,

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

that’s because GOES primary came back out of eclipse and data was a bit higher than GOES secondary

Ah, is that how we got the notifications of the flare and blackout (GOES secondary) even when there was no data showing on the plot, because it only shows GOES primary?

4 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

Ah, is that how we got the notifications of the flare and blackout (GOES secondary) even when there was no data showing on the plot, because it only shows GOES primary?

Yes 😉 something we have implemented in case a flare happens during eclipse. But seems we have a little issue when data from primary gets back and starts with B level resetting our alert. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Not directly earth-facing, but I've seen CMEs launch sideways in all directions, you never really know.  Even it was perfect center disk it could launch sideways and miss.

Can't wait for SOHO... sadly it's late at night for me, guess I gotta go to bed and find out in the morning...

Just now, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yes 😉 something we have implemented in case a flare happens during eclipse. But seems we have a little issue when data from primary gets back and starts with B level resetting our alert. 

Could the graph just switch and display data from the other whenever primary is unavailable?  I know there might be small steps or jumps in it, but I'd still like to be able to see the profile of the flare, to look for stuff like a double peak, slope it ramped up, and profile for any long-duration ones.

Sam Warfel
This post was recognized by Sam Warfel!

"Sometimes pointing out the obvious is just what is needed..."

Vancanneyt Sander was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 10 points.

2 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

Can't wait for SOHO... sadly it's late at night for me, guess I gotta go to bed and find out in the morning...

Could the graph just switch and display data from the other whenever primary is unavailable?  I know there might be small steps or jumps in it, but I'd still like to be able to see the profile of the flare, to look for stuff like a double peak, slope it ramped up, and profile for any long-duration ones.

On the 3-day view, activate the secondary 😉

FDFB8BB9-7FAF-48C4-AFD7-020878C37C1E.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Ah, wdya know wdya know.  Perfect. My only suggestion is to consider adding that to the homepage display (maybe in a dashed line, shown only during the eclipse portion)

24 minutes ago, Orneno said:

And a type IV! Does that mean a better CME likelihood than if we just got one or the other?

Sanders, you said on the Facebook page this was long-duration.  How long does a flare have to be for you to call it that?

• Sam Warfel changed the title to AR 2974: M1 flare, CME likely
1 hour ago, Orneno said:

Ah, wdya know wdya know.  Perfect. My only suggestion is to consider adding that to the homepage display (maybe in a dashed line, shown only during the eclipse portion)

And a type IV! Does that mean a better CME likelihood than if we just got one or the other?

Sanders, you said on the Facebook page this was long-duration.  How long does a flare have to be for you to call it that?

type ii and the type iv... permission to double the happy dance requested 🤸‍♂️

5 uren geleden, Orneno zei:

It’s Sander without the S at the end 😉

Flare lasted 50 minutes so that’s not a short duration. Impulsive flares last a few minutes to ten minutes, long duration flares one hour to several hours. When flare happens, after the peak of it slows down slowly it’s likely long duration, if it drops fast it’s impulsive.

4 uren geleden, Cat Perkinton zei:

permission to double the happy dance requested 🤸‍♂️

Permission granted

dance party GIF

• Haha 1

...hmmm...pity, it's again one of those very often happen M1-M2 flares. There ist also not yet a good position in the horizontal plane
and (...hey...thanks for the shift-enter-hint, it works!) even it ist quite far downwards located as well. And I rememer I saw a lot of
those strong downwards (or upwards) CMEs behind the limb this ciyle, so I fear a possible CME will not hit us.
But thats only a personal evaluation, of course.

Chris

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The CME kinda disappoints imho

2F486926-5EB9-4C79-9A56-4BE27AFC283A.jpeg

It’s quite faint. I thought it would be stronger, given M-class and long duration, and both radio emissions. 

Also not halo, so maybe not as likely to hit as as thought. Sad. 

28 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

It’s quite faint. I thought it would be stronger, given M-class and long duration, and both radio emissions. 

Also not halo, so maybe not as likely to hit as as thought. Sad. 

its still a lower M-class. If it would had a duration of 2 hours it would have been a better CME

Hello all

I now had the time to check LASCO pictures and I played with some picture subtraction. So I now come to the
conclusion that of course there is a very faint and even full halo CME when loocking at this picture:

2022-03-25-CME1.thumb.jpg.36e31e2bf38c2c5ea2c765fcb8cf2128.jpg

...and this is a shot a little later on catched with the same procedure:

2022-03-25-CME2.thumb.jpg.d8081efd2fc9f31f8713c87643120628.jpg

Regards, Chris

Edited by Chris, HB9DFG

• Sam Warfel changed the title to AR 2974: M1 flare, weak CME
3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yes indeed a faint halo CME but bulk is directed away and a very faint part earth directed. In our news update some more info as well. No big storm expected, max Kp3->Kp5 Arrival somewhere in the night of 27th to 28th.

As per NOAA’s prediction?

I am seeing lots of aurora sighting reports coming in on Glendale app, much further South than the stats seem to indicate - despite a very weak substorm, fair to middling hemispheric power, and a North facing IMF....is this just down to the solar wind density being slightly elevated or something else?