CME Impact ahead?

MinYoongi

I... don't think a CME caused by a C-Level flare could really be considered a "Godzilla CME". I'm starting to kinda lean towards what Tormentius is saying:

48 minutes ago, Tormentius said:

And also, calling the cme a Godzilla is just more examples of what I mentioned in my other thread, of solar physicists giving exaggerated statements 

1 hour ago, Bedreamon said:

I... don't think a CME caused by a C-Level flare could really be considered a "Godzilla CME". I'm starting to kinda lean towards what Tormentius is saying:

That is precisely what I find frustrating as someone who has suffered a fear of space weather effects on Earth and am struggling to overcome it. Generally, I prefer Dr Erika Palmerio for her takes. She is generally very honest, straightforward and reassuring when you ask her what you think the effects will be.

Contrast this with Dr McIntosh who, every time you show any signs of worry over a large cme, he practically encourages it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

It looked to be a filament eruption followed by X-Ray flux of C2.8.

I had calculated a preliminary arrival time of /13 14:50Z which is still fairly slow as a travel time of ~67 hours 30 minutes.

It looked like a disappearing solar filament (DSF) was the catalyst for the event.

1 hour ago, Chris, HB9DFG said:

I saw this LDE earlier but I didn't expect such a nice Halo-CME, even not in our direction! ☺️

Regards, Chris

If you are referring to number 22 with the velocity max of 1953, please rest easy, twasnt me, at least Im pretty sure because i’ve been awake and as we all know …….

• Haha 1

solen.info, for whoever uses that site, recently updated for info about current solar affairs. As for their take on this CME, it says:

March 10: A full halo CME was observed after the very long duration event in AR 12962. The CME could reach Earth on March 13 and cause unsettled to minor storm conditions.

• Cool 1

6 hours ago, Christopher S. said:

If you follow pretenders on Twitter and that's really the only basis of conversation we have on this forum anymore, I'm so fucking out of here. This is beyond petty.

Every week it seems, "Big CME coming?!?" and it's the same people, with the same incredulous sources.

I'll try my best to not post as much Twitter things. Kinda hard since the Twitter list of solar enthusiasts I follow are mostly level-headed and not saying stupid sh*t like "Big CME???", but still.
At the same time though, I think it's mostly because those people are new to space weather (I'm still new to it honestly), which is why seeing stuff like this is worrisome because it's new to them/me.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

as a CME is an ever expanding cloud of gas the strength of the IMF inside the CME will also gradually weaken (and thus the direction of the IMF can't go lower than the total field value Bt) together with the solar wind speed. 

So they get weaker on the way?

Sam Warfel
This post was recognized by Sam Warfel!

"Best explanation I’ve ever seen 💨"

Cat Perkinton was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

30 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

So they get weaker on the way?

Forgive my indelicacy, but I think of CME as aurora farts, the big ones likened to the effects of a vindaloo on the human system 😵 vs a mild Korma in a small one. At the epicentre the impact is strong ( so stand well clear of your vindaloo loving colleague) , and as it travels, the more the fart energy is dispersed into a wider area.... thus impacting in lower levels at the outer reaches?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1