CME Impact ahead?

MinYoongi

It looks to be from a CME that launched around /07 00:00Z. It was a very small CME, but maybe we will get lucky. Another small CME launched around 28 hours afterwards as well.

47 minutes ago, jeny96 said:

what effects would this have on earth?

If the CME reaches Earth it will be fairly weak after over 3 days of travel, G1 might be slightly possible.

59 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It looks to be from a CME that launched around /07 00:00Z. It was a very small CME, but maybe we will get lucky. Another small CME launched around 28 hours afterwards as well.

If the CME reaches Earth it will be fairly weak after over 3 days of travel, G1 might be slightly possible.

But -40 is very severe. Thought it would make a strong storm :(

57 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But -40 is very severe. Thought it would make a strong storm :(

Yes Bedreamon I was thinking the same thing - whether |B| is reduced by the inverse square law by distance from the Sun.  I'm not sure if that is a valid relationship or if |B| is more of an intrisic quality or dimishes over distance at a different rate (e.g. as a waveguide propagation model).

Edited by Drax Spacex
premature submission

Either way, it should be less strong by the time it arrives at Earth

It was not a large CME by any means, so it can’t seem produce a storm as strong as -40 like the extreme CMEs in past storms sometimes have. So, it must decay before it arrives. 

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

It was not a large CME by any means, so it can’t seem produce a storm as strong as -40 like the extreme CMEs in past storms sometimes have. So, it must decay before it arrives. 

I agree, considering where the Solar Orbiter is. The strength it's receiving and monitoring, I'm assuming despite not knowing that much, is probably way stronger that what it'll be on Earth if it's geoeffective.

I think most solar enthusiasts would've been sounding alarms by now, to be honest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

¿Por qué noaa no ha dicho nada a esto?

alguien tiene informacion sobre esto? 

¿Por qué nadie se asusta?:D 

Besides, since we are so sure about that, we still don't know if the stereo head predicts the bz well, maybe when it comes to earth it will be -10, since the stereo head doesn't have a magnetic field, does it?

and you can tell what's going to hit a strand that wasn't that big

7 uren geleden, Drax Spacex zei:

Yes Bedreamon I was thinking the same thing - whether |B| is reduced by the inverse square law by distance from the Sun.  I'm not sure if that is a valid relationship or if |B| is more of an intrisic quality or dimishes over distance at a different rate (e.g. as a waveguide propagation model).

as a CME is an ever expanding cloud of gas the strength of the IMF inside the CME will also gradually weaken (and thus the direction of the IMF can't go lower than the total field value Bt) together with the solar wind speed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Big CME happening right now :) wheres the coverage guys! I missed the forum

9 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

as a CME is an ever expanding cloud of gas the strength of the IMF inside the CME will also gradually weaken (and thus the direction of the IMF can't go lower than the total field value Bt) together with the solar wind speed. 

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

While the IMF is currently high, a better looking CME just launched at us. If the Solar Orbiter data is anything to try to estimate off of the high IMF may last another 8ish hours.

What’s the new CME? Another filament eruption?

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

Ok, Godzilla is an overstatement. It doesn’t even look worse than that one from the X1 that turned out to be a disappointment. 

Still cool though, I hope for G3/G4!

Considering that it’s only from a c flare, I doubt it

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Ok, Godzilla is an overstatement. It doesn’t even look worse than that one from the X1 that turned out to be a disappointment. 

Still cool though, I hope for G3/G4!

And also, calling the cme a Godzilla is just more examples of what I mentioned in my other thread, of solar physicists giving exaggerated statements 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1