UV spike readings on CME days

FairyG

I spent the day today looking at wunderground weather stations trying to find spikes in the UV readings. Mostly because Saturday when the CME hit I thought the sun was brighter and then today, Monday Valentine's day I woke up feeling like the sun wasn't as bright... Then the M.1 flare hit as I was researching and posting and I noticed a severe spike in UV and solar radiation in the closest weather station. I continued the rest of my day looking for more spikes in other places I have lived.

I would love input and feedback.

I feel like I got sunburn today because I happened to be outside just shortly after it struck and yes the sun seemed to get brighter and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I have come to a notion that perhaps I am just lucky to live in a unique spot and happened to stumble onto what possibly could be a coincidence... But the data has me intrigued.

Below is the first spike I found and what started my quest.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1205462783.jpeg

I also found another spike on another station in NY but not as close by. As I kept clicking on stations to see the UV for the day my brain kinda saw a patter in wind direction with UV spikes and solar radiation spikes.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1048308851.jpeg

Then I went over to Cape Cod Massachusetts because I live there too often. Now a few of the readings were significantly higher and abnormal for this time of year... Eastham Cape Cod.

(And other stations didn't)

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--877397087.jpeg

I looked around with internet searches to see if someone had already attempted to confirm or disprove this idea. The best paper I found was this: Contributions of the solar ultraviolet irradiance to the total solar irradiance during large flares - Woods - 2006 - Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics - Wiley Online Library

It has a lot of technical information, and might be beyond me, but from what I gathered, UV difference from the Sun during flares does not reach the surface. 

xynzd.jpg.b7ec289ec4cbdeef0436d598106a3565.jpg

Even on a clear day there are variations in the atmosphere/Ozone which affect UV amounts. 

I’m going to have to look into the data you shared before I comment on that, but I am going to venture to address your concerns regarding the sun appearing brighter. From a pure standpoint of optics, Sunlight — as we perceive it on Earth — has more to do with our atmosphere than anything else due to how light is “scattered:”

from: https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/45428/why-does-the-sun-shine-brighter-some-days

“The sun seems brighter (more dazzling) if there is more scattering in the atmosphere. The sun would actually look very small to us in the sky if there were no atmosphere (it's the same angular size as the moon) and most of the brightness seen in the direction of the sun is from small deflection rayleigh scattering.”

other factors impact how “bright” light can appear, including the temperature, humidity, & amount of particles (dust, pollen, pollution)  there is in the atmosphere at any given time, and even these things are transient. I would venture to say that any perceived “brightness” you discern is more due to an optical illusion or environmental factor than an activity from the sun. 

Edited by praxisofbootes
Adjusted font size

1 hour ago, Archmonoth said:

I looked around with internet searches to see if someone had already attempted to confirm or disprove this idea. The best paper I found was this: Contributions of the solar ultraviolet irradiance to the total solar irradiance during large flares - Woods - 2006 - Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics - Wiley Online Library

It has a lot of technical information, and might be beyond me, but from what I gathered, UV difference from the Sun during flares does not reach the surface. 

Even on a clear day there are variations in the atmosphere/Ozone which affect UV amounts. 

I actually felt it so much today and the local weather station showed that spike and the sun did seem to get more intense. I would like to get on with my night... I think no one found it because it doesn't happen everywhere or consistently in one spot... I am seeing though there may be areas where it is more likely to register during or post CME. If you go to wunderground.com and click on stations for today's readings they don't all have the same UV readings and lots of clustered areas all have higher readings close to the time of the event.usong these same stations I have been checking Nov 12 2022 and oct 31 of 2021 and at least they all are reading highly unusual readings on those dates as well... But sometimes I have to click nearby stations because they have the peaks while the other does not. A moving wave where each CME is different obviously wouldn't hit the same spot exactly but patterns help encourage my mad search.

I checked oct 30 and oct 31 2021

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-880354584.jpeg

1 hour ago, Archmonoth said:

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1614967497.jpeg

Ok so I looked up Oct 29 through Oct 31 2021 when the xflare occured at my local station. Spike was on Oct 29 at night and then lo and behold the UV dropped out days following.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-2076828247.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-709350876.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-475809779.jpeg

If there is a reason why the weather station by me shows these spikes? I do have the Aurora colors at night in the distance even at kp3 which isn't normal either... I don't see them like the Netherlands but I definately see the changing colors, even made a little photo album... Shoot I should go check tonight though the moon is bright.

Also if the readings from today were right and I was outside when they happened what would that type of solar radiation and UV do to a human body?

Edited by FairyG
new info

30 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Wait for real? Or are Just playing around 😂 

Reading all of the posts @FairyG had done it almost seems like she may be a bot or has a second account or something. The plot thickens 🤔 🧐 

I literally have not stopped looking up data since the flare. This has me so fascinated. I like the idea that the atmosphere is thinner.

I just want to know the pattern of all the spikes I found and had to hurry because it takes a lot longer to look at archive data than real time so I am trying to look at as many stations as I can... Figured places I lived would be interesting so I went and looked at cape cod, Hawaii and here in upstate New York.

I did find a spikes north of me that occured at 3pm and a spike that occured south of me at 6pm and now I'm out of time as it will be the 15th. Found one last spike that makes no sense with solar flare correlation though so there are "holes" in the working notion.

Edited by FairyG

2 hours ago, SAINT said:

Of course she is a bot. Spread by Elon.  Well played 

It was a good idea to mention the geo electrical storm. 

I just spent 12 hours looking at data and there are definate increases in UV most places today, seemingly random spikes of UV found but I am incapable of understanding how and when the energy from the sun would hit where and precisely when so I was literally clicking blindly hoping. Reminded me of playing slot machines. Just as addictive.

Now that I have a list of stations that monitor spikes when the next flare happens I can just check these spots, see what they register. (I also noticed some glitching on their site with loading archived data so I do have to double check the past dates of the posts today)

Thanks for everything. This was so much better than researchimg c*v!d.

44 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Then it wasn’t a meteorite 

Bots can be pretty smart. But when did I say you were a bot? I just said you may be a bot… that’s all 

@FairyG explain to Me got you got two badges each time you ranked up

Like how?

F006791D-0545-487F-B3CA-7FDA9ACA9095.jpeg

It’s impossible to do that… like how

GOTTEM. 

Fricken bot

Ok hold up. The bot insult I can handle.

I have just this account.

But Meteorites survive the atmosphere and hit the ground. Most objects burn up in the atmosphere. If the atmosphere was thinner here then that could be the reason why it survived to crash land.

I can't explain why only at this house area only Verizon cellphones work and not in 5g, meteorites land in the yard and I can see the colors changing of the Northern Lights after solar flares even when it is not a KP7!!!

Obviously there is a reasonable explanation. I am here trying to find a better explanation if there is one. The readings gave me a lot of hope and everyone wants to be special so I am truly aware I am reaching for straws. 

I could plot popular meteorite landings and check their local stations to see if they register spikes at times of Solar Flares and see if there is any correlation, that would assume meteorites only make it through when there is a weakened atmosphere so the data and research could last me a life time and in the end it might just be a wild goose chase. As long as I am having fun but perhaps looking into what kind of device each station uses is a better first step. Maybe they all use a similar device that just whacks out when solar flares happen and it has nothing to do with location.

But if I could plot today's data from wunderground.com in a visual map of UV peak readings by time that would be the easiest way to see any sort of pattern.

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Instead is posting current observations, go back in time and choose many dates where the Sun was quiet and compare it with observations for that day, you’ll find those spikes in those days as well. Meaning there is NO relation between solar activity and spikes in UV.

I encountered a data loading problem with the website. It became very frustrating because of there was no data it would sometimes load the last data I looked at instead. So yeah I should double check the past dates. I did do a couple on the stations that spiked today and most of them also had spikes on other CME days.

I didn't know what dates to use that were flare free but perhaps you can tell me a couple and I can go to the weather stations that do spike and see if they match. I tried a couple of locations for the Halloween x-flares and saw the spikes but then we also have to consider the Earth's spin, rotation and the direction, type, speed and so many other factors when the flares happened years ago because maybe it hit different parts of the Earth due to Earth's rotation and placement at the time. This is why maybe the lack of atmosphere condition is more intriguing than the CME just randomly hitting spikes at random stations. Good luck finding out where on Earth the atmosphere is depleted and of it is a constant thing or only when under solar flare pressure?

Also perhaps places with earthquakes, windstorms and even volcanoes tend to be the places where the most "UV" gets registered and a good place where I can look to find spikes post solar flare, but not tonight. Maybe it has to do with pollution from major cities. Maybe it has to do with airplane holding patterns.

All I can do is investigate and reach out to people who are smarter than me. I am pretty naive to this field, so that is perhaps why I don't just "believe" UV isn't increased. I just hope whatever blasted us outside today was harmless. My face feels burnt and I am a little worried for my dog because it was him having to do business that had us out there post flare, both of us rocking sunglasses like complete paranoid androids but really would sunglasses even protect our eyes if those readings were true?

They are Costas.

56 minuten geleden, FairyG zei:

So yeah I should double check the past dates. I did do a couple on the stations that spiked today and most of them also had spikes on other CME days

You didn’t understand my post… check with dates with NO CME’s and you’ll also find those spikes. There is no correlation between the two. Even in solar minimum we have had record temperatures and record UV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FairyG said:

All I can do is investigate and reach out to people who are smarter than me. I am pretty naive to this field, so that is perhaps why I don't just "believe" UV isn't increased. I just hope whatever blasted us outside today was harmless. My face feels burnt and I am a little worried for my dog because it was him having to do business that had us out there post flare, both of us rocking sunglasses like complete paranoid androids but really would sunglasses even protect our eyes if those readings were true?

If I have understood your posts correctly, you live at a relatively high altitude and the last few days it has been snowing. That almost certainly explains your feelings of a brighter sun and being sunburned. The snow is a very good reflector of sunlight (in both visible and UV range), so you are not just getting the normal overhead illumination, but it is also bouncing back off the ground to create an additive effect. Being at a higher altitude means that you will also be receiving a slightly higher level of UV than those at sea level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

You didn’t understand my post… check with dates with NO CME’s and you’ll also find those spikes. There is no correlation between the two. Even in solar minimum we have had record temperatures and record UV.

Ohh I see you thought these were easy to find, I spent 12 hours scouring weather stations to find peaks. Peaks are rare at my local station so here is just the past two months data and you can see the coincidences with cosmic weather.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Show me an example ofewhat you mean by they happen all the time please. Give me a ddateof a few non solar active days at least and I will look. There is no way those readings in upstate New York were anything close to nnorma on CME events even without the spikes on an average daily basis anyway. They all were increased across the board on CME days but varying dependant on location.

This isn't something that happens everywhere all at once so i was more curious to see a pattern of where the spikes were today. Where the Earth is in relation to the type of flare is beyond my scope of research. Maybe atmospheric conditions do play a role.

30 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

If I have understood your posts correctly, you live at a relatively high altitude and the last few days it has been snowing. That almost certainly explains your feelings of a brighter sun and being sunburned. The snow is a very good reflector of sunlight (in both visible and UV range), so you are not just getting the normal overhead illumination, but it is also bouncing back off the ground to create an additive effect. Being at a higher altitude means that you will also be receiving a slightly higher level of UV than those at sea level.

I woke up today and it was sunny.

I thought man this sun isn't nearly as strong as Saturday's though just as sunny. I thought to check the weather station.

Not a cloud in the sky.

Was making a post, CME hit. Checked weather station and saw a spike.

Checked nearby weather stations... Increases in UV and solar radiation but no spike.

It has not been snowing.

It was supposed to snow Saturday. When the sun went down it did a little.

Shortly after the CME I went out for about 7 minutes ... 10 degrees now (a three degree temperature spike which ok maybe cause it was the middle of the day but it was bone freezing cold no matter what) the house was cold, not regular cold... Bitter chilling cold and the wind came up with these sudden gusts. Big roaring mighty gusts, making it feel really cold like -17F.

So I started looking at all the weather stations and finally found another that had peaked. I tried other areas I lived (like Hawaii close to sea level and found a spike there not at diamond head mountain but in Waikiki the shoreline city). Realized peaks were not just a local event. And surprisingly I noticed increases on the average all across the board because I had to keep guessing which station even had UV readings and which may have a peak because most of them did not. Every station had some sort of raised value in correlation but only rarely did I find a peaked out reading. Peaked readings also had bizarre wind directions on the map and were found usually in clusters of stations with all different differctions surrounding them in close proximity.

Why were these stations showing peaked readings? Was there a pattern? Could it be the type of equipment. Still it seemed to correlate with the CME timing. I did find two locations with peaks not around noon and that was curious... 3pm north of me a few hours and 6pm south of me a few hours. There was another station south of me that peaked at around noon too though. Where's the pattern? I checked other days of the stations that peaked to see if they do that often, but mostly no they don't.

Look for yourselves in the USA at the wunderground.com website.

I don't have space weather memorized and I just wanted to find a pattern to see if maybe there was one.

So I started to ask myself what do all these places with peaks have in common. I emailed wunderground.com to see if they can help fetch the data easier

Each one of those graphics I had to screen shot, open in fb messenger to edit and label and then eventually swl wouldn't let me post any more pics so I had to embed then in my blog and link to them here! That was a lot of work and took up my whole day I mean it's 5am Tuesday and I'm still at it.

The sun was so bright and hurt my eyes to the point it scared me. The energy gets different during and after a flare and while that sounds so hippy dippy, I just wanted to see if it was just me or if there was any data to back it up.

spacer.png

Do those two peak dates have any significance to space weather events? This is in eastern standard time.

Edited by FairyG
clarification

31 minutes ago, FairyG said:

It has not been snowing.

It was supposed to snow Saturday. When the sun went down it did a little.

But the picture you posted of your dog clearly shows laying snow - that is what causes the reflections, and the apparent brightening, and the feeling of being sunburned. The brightening effect will also be dependent upon the angle of the sun in the sky.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

But the picture you posted of your dog clearly shows laying snow - that is what causes the reflections, and the apparent brightening, and the feeling of being sunburned. The brightening effect will also be dependent upon the angle of the sun in the sky.

Ok. Cool. I just found a peak at 6pm EST Dec 3rd and can't find a CME. Gusts of 41mph. 35F (previous day 50 degrees with UV 1)

Found another peak Dec 12 at 10am gusts 44.5mph 34F (previous day 60 degrees with zero UV)

Got up to December 21st.

5 hours ago, FairyG said:

Ok hold up. The bot insult I can handle.

I take it back. Sorry about saying that. I get suspicious over everything 😆

I really didn’t mean it. 

5 hours ago, FairyG said:

But Meteorites survive the atmosphere and hit the ground. Most objects burn up in the atmosphere. If the atmosphere was thinner here then that could be the reason why it survived to crash land.

If the atmosphere was thinner I’m pretty sure we would all be dead. Plus If it was thinner You would Not be the only one noticing it. Because a thinner atmosphere would ordinarily mean an overall colder Earth. It would be felt globally and not locally. If it did become thinner, this would happen: 
It would be silent. It would be silent because sound requires a medium to transmit waves. Birds and planes would fall from the sky due to a thinner atmosphere. So I don’t think the atmosphere gets thinner at all. 

Also meteors don’t burn up in the atmosphere. They burn up in the mesosphere. 

Edited by Solarflaretracker200

2 hours ago, FairyG said:

Ok. Cool. I just found a peak at 6pm EST Dec 3rd and can't find a CME. Gusts of 41mph. 35F (previous day 50 degrees with UV 1)

Found another peak Dec 12 at 10am gusts 44.5mph 34F (previous day 60 degrees with zero UV)

Got up to December 21st.

I've also been searching the data on KNYDELAN43. I can see the two peaks you mention and I also found some on Nov12th, 15th, 16th (two that day) and Nov29th. Nearly all of the spikes I have seen are just one sample (5mins) long. Only one lasted for two samples. They all spike at the same value of 14W/m2. That could be due to saturation in the measurement system, but the next readings always return to the value prior to the spike, so suggests it is just a spurious reading unrelated to any real event.

Edit: I've now had a chance to review the three most local stations around your location and although one of them (KNYSCHEN143) does show 2 spikes, on 5th and 7th Feb, there is no correlation with KNYDELAN43, and KNYSCHEN186 shows no spikes at all for January and February so far. This tends to support the view that the spikes are entirely spurious.

Edited by 3gMike
Additional info

34 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

For an object hitting our atmosphere at 25,000 mph needs to be about the size of a basketball, it would need  to come nearly straight down for any fragments to make it to the ground. So was the meter bigger than a basketball?

4 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

For an object hitting our atmosphere at 25,000 mph needs to be about the size of a basketball, it would need  to come nearly straight down for any fragments to make it to the ground. So was the meter bigger than a basketball?

Yes.

4 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I know the other stations nearby are at very different elevations as terrain is very different very quickly. Also why did it happen in Nebraska, Hawaii and other NY stations further north and south? Overall the solar radiation is very much higher than usual as well as the UV post events. Also if the PEAK was very brief and had a path and considering the Earth is curved and other factors, the other stations may have just missed the brief UV spike or even more likely have different sensors.

I will have to investigate after more CME, my data set is way too small anyway.

Also the tree where this alleged meteorite was found was split and later died. Upstate NY is prone to meteorites and if the atmosphere was thinner than it's supposed to be or if a piece of a bigger meteorite chipped off on its way down I don't believe it would have to be that big, but surely I was just trying to prove I wasn't a robot. The chances it's a meteorite have been a running joke in the family but I was curious about the whole idea of a thinner atmosphere.

1289 ft elevation here with a lake atop fed by an underground spring.

Looking at how UV drops out completely some of days is also interesting because someone mentioned that happens post flare. Wouldn't it be just wild though if there was a little sliver in the atmosphere over here during solar and geomagnetic events? We do get a few polar vortex winds and temps in the winter.

Also if a CMe blasts the Earth and the Earth is rotating how many rotations of the Earth before all the CmE particles pass? Does this vary on factors?

Also,why on other CME events does it peak as well?

Edited by FairyG

5 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I really didn’t mean it. 

If the atmosphere was thinner I’m pretty sure we would all be dead. Plus If it was thinner You would Not be the only one noticing it. Because a thinner atmosphere would ordinarily mean an overall colder Earth. It would be felt globally and not locally. If it did become thinner, this would happen: 
It would be silent. It would be silent because sound requires a medium to transmit waves. Birds and planes would fall from the sky due to a thinner atmosphere. So I don’t think the atmosphere gets thinner at all. 

Mesosphere! Cool.

Many many days are quite silent and I don't believe the atmosphere would be thinner all the time, only in correlation to events in space. Maybe my terminology is mixed up. Maybe it's a baby miniscule version of what happens in the northpole when the Aurora show up ....maybe it is just here like some weird phenomena. 

I do love how silent it often gets here. Soooo quiet especially in between wind gusts.

"The disturbance that drives the magnetic storm may be a solar coronal mass ejection (CME) or (much less severely) a co-rotating interaction region (CIR), a high-speed stream of solar wind originating from a coronal hole.[1] The frequency of geomagnetic storms increases and decreases with the sunspot cycle. During solar maximum, geomagnetic storms occur more often, with the majority driven by CMEs.  The increase in the solar wind pressure initially compresses the magnetosphere. The solar wind's magnetic field interacts with the Earth's magnetic field and transfers an increased energy into the magnetosphere. Both interactions cause an increase in plasma movement through the magnetosphere (driven by increased electric fields inside the magnetosphere) and an increase in electric current in the magnetosphere and ionosphere. During the main phase of a geomagnetic storm, electric current in the magnetosphere creates a magnetic force that pushes out the boundary between the magnetosphere and the solar wind."

There is just too much to learn before I can even begin to sound like I know what I am talking about, so forgive me. I love all your input.

Nov 12th, 15thband 16th... What was going on in space weather? Let's check other stations that registered Peaks yesterday with those dates!!!

21 minutes ago, FairyG said:

Nov 12th, 15thband 16th... What was going on in space weather? Let's check other stations that registered Peaks yesterday with those dates!!!

Well I checked South Albany Airport FBO - KNYSELKI21 for PEAKS ON the dates you found at Featherstonhaugh and while no peaks those days there was one after!! (I can't upload anymore images in this thread anymore)

spacer.png

n the Earth's magnetosphere -- the region of magnetic field around the Earth -- electrons from the sun remain trapped. Interactions between electrons and plasma waves can cause the trapped electrons to escape and enter the Earth's upper atmosphere (thermosphere). This phenomenon, called electron precipitation, is responsible for aurorae. But, recent studies show that this is also responsible for local ozone layer depletions in the mesosphere (lower than thermosphere) and may have a certain impact on our climate.  What's more, this ozone depletion at the mesosphere could be occurring specifically during aurorae. And while scientists have studied electron precipitation in relation to aurorae, none have been able to sufficiently elucidate how it causes mesospheric ozone depletion.

6 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I really didn’t mean it. 

Mesosphere!

(What I learned from this)

The Earth's magnetosphere -- the region of magnetic field around the Earth -- electrons from the sun remain trapped. Interactions between electrons and plasma waves can cause the trapped electrons to escape and enter the Earth's upper atmosphere (thermosphere). This phenomenon, called electron precipitation, is responsible for aurorae. But, recent studies show that this is also responsible for local ozone layer depletions in the mesosphere (lower than thermosphere) and may have a certain impact on our climate.  What's more, this ozone depletion at the mesosphere could be occurring specifically during aurorae. And while scientists have studied electron precipitation in relation to aurorae, none have been able to sufficiently elucidate how it causes mesospheric ozone depletion.

I'm sorry trying to respond in this thread is being difficult. I accidentally deleted what I wrote and wrote the same thing twice and I can't fix it.

Anyway this is addicting.

Checked KHILAIE4 in Hawaii because yesterday it peaked. Well it didn't peak on the dates that Mike found it did read very high on the UV scale.

The wunderground website is really confusing because sometimes if it doesn't have the data it will load the previous graph so you really have to be careful when you're loading each page and it's very frustrating. Also I'm not sure if the times displayed are local time to the area or the time it is on my phone as a user.

Seems like UV rays are going wacko today wonder if there's another event coming tomorrow or tonight.

• Like 1

Sam Warfel
This post was recognized by Sam Warfel!

"Nice job scientifically vetting FairyG’s hasty “research”."

3gMike was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 5 points.

3 hours ago, FairyG said:

Well I checked South Albany Airport FBO - KNYSELKI21 for PEAKS ON the dates you found at Featherstonhaugh and while no peaks those days there was one after!! (I can't upload anymore images in this thread anymore)

spacer.png

I'm sorry to keep challenging you, but you are really not being sufficiently rigorous in evaluating the data. You claimed that lack of corresponding spikes in neighbouring stations was due to changes in altitude (All those stations are in the range 1020ft to 1378ft), then you claim correlation for a spike at KNYSELKI21 (161ft altitude), on Nov 18th - two days later than spikes at your location.  You say that the spikes occur in periods of high UV yet some, including the one at KNYSELKI21, occur in periods of zero UV, i.e. at night. You acknowledge that the spikes are very brief, but that means you have to know precisely the time of arrival of the CME in order to claim correlation, and must also assume that any associated disturbance lasts less than 5 minutes (sampling interval of the stations).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

I'm sorry to keep challenging you, but you are really not being sufficiently rigorous in evaluating the data. You claimed that lack of corresponding spikes in neighbouring stations was due to changes in altitude (All those stations are in the range 1020ft to 1378ft), then you claim correlation for a spike at KNYSELKI21 (161ft altitude), on Nov 18th - two days later than spikes at your location.  You say that the spikes occur in periods of high UV yet some, including the one at KNYSELKI21, occur in periods of zero UV, i.e. at night. You acknowledge that the spikes are very brief, but that means you have to know precisely the time of arrival of the CME in order to claim correlation, and must also assume that any associated disturbance lasts less than 5 minutes (sampling interval of the stations).

Yeah. Like today there were elevations in UV and Solar Radiation during today's mflare but only a station in Idaho PEAKED.

YOU ARE RIGHT MY DATA IS NOT SUFFICIENT... yet I happened to be cruising the contenant's weather stations today looking up readings when I saw today was being weird and then we got a flare and I happened to be searching in Idaho and found a PEAK! Nothing in any other stations... Which leads me to believe it has less to do with altitude (Honolulu peaks disproved that as well) and now I am speculating perhaps the areas that instruments peaked just got a taste of a particularly strong part of the Sun's emissions.

So clicking randomly on USA weather stations is like shooting fish in the dark and I get that. Also I shouldn't be just collecting PEAKED data as I was merely using that to try and see a pattern of where the initial contact to Earth at the flare's strongest happened, but that's way to complicated with earth rotating and the millions of laws of science and physics I don't even know enough about.

So then I was like, besides what part is facing the Sun maybe there happens to be spots on Earth just more sensitive or get UV readings that elevate during solar flares, so why no start looking at places with active weather and earth phenomena... Like areas along tectonic plates, current earthquakes, random Forrest fire locations but there is soooooooo much to consider that it really is just a fun quest of data collection at this point.

I will say that I am confident during a solar flare the UV and solar radiation is elevated and quite significantly. I also think the wind can be an indicator of where possible "higher elevated levels" may be found. For example, I have noticed the past two days at the stations that peaked they had a different wind direction then the surrounding stations, but that too is really speculative.

No matter what station I click on though elevated levels of UV and solar radiation are noticable at Solar flare eruptions.

Quite possibly also geomagnetic storms, filament eruptions and even solar flare "misses" and remnants of solar flares that may stick around, but I am convinced the spikes only happen at the initial or (even prior) to a flare!!!

How weird is it that both days while I was looking through data an Mflare occured?

Also today's mflare didn't elevate nearly as much as yesterday's. Elevation of levels seen, and the wind gusts and speed the flew though my yard at the time of the flare, are my personal observations.

I was literally looking at levels and heard these strange rushes of wind and I am being dramatic here, but had a "Spidey sense" that a solar flare was happening. I could even tell it wasn't as powerful (at least here) as it was yesterday because the wind didn't last as long, the extreme cold sensation didn't last as long and the sun wasn't nearly as offensive to my eyes.

I did not go outside though until I saw UV readings drop at my local station.

The wind was so wooshy and strange and seemingly out of nowhere, so easy to imagine it was the flare. I know I am being overly correlative but you really need to be here and experience it to really understand it. Also is there a way to know when the flare contacts Earth, I feel like I don't really grasp that.

I just look at the time SWL makes their twitter post... I am an amateur and I don't plan on giving up. I live the challenges. I love everyone's critical constructive criticism and links and I really haven't felt this excited about anything since I got my puppy 10 years ago.

A sunburn in under ten minutes outside... I feel like I can't even prove my sunburn was from the sun that is how critical I am of my own connections. The power of the mind is no joke so holding onto ideas as cement is a waste of time  Being fluid and open to new challenges is so important. Keep it coming.

I also was wondering about the flares happening in succession and if that makes them stronger but then today's data didn't have to UMPH yesterday's flare did... Until I looked a little further north. It's like treasure hunting because I look for wind direction and tend to notice the UV elevates more dramatically at the stations (usually with North winds) and with surrounding stations having winds in all directions.

Today's random.data collection. Look at those wind gusts and timing with event!

spacer.png

Station KNYDELAN43

spacer.png

Yesterday's wild wild wind and temps spacer.png

Maybe more to do with the geomagnetic storm than actual solar flares? I am not well versed to know just sharing things and ideas to see if anyone else has any ideas.

So instead of looking just at PEAKS (WHICH TO ME INDICATE AN INFLUX OF DATA THE UV READER CANNOT HANDLE) here is a nearby station that had northerly winds amongst stations that had various wind directions. It also seems to have a bigger and more prominent UV and Solar RADIATION increase at time of event.

spacer.png

Then I just happened to be browsing when I saw this and then jumped over to see if a flare occured because why else would this station have a PEAK? Time difference from EST to Idaho I think is two hours earlier unless the Wunder changes the time automatically, I still do not know but hey it was the only peak I found today. (Would love to just keep clicking... Keep clicking... Keep clicking... And see if patterns emerge but it takes soooo much time and I do not have any science to help me choose where to click!)

Maybe I just won the lottery and happened to stumble upon a rare phenomena like what would be the chances I randomly find where the Sun flare hits hard enough to PEAK UV readers (if that is what is indicated by PEAKED readings) and studying solarflare at the same time two days in a row?  beginners luck?

spacer.png

I am addicted to clicking on weather stations trying to find ones that peak with yesterday's and today's event.

I feel like as time passes the chances of finding those peaks again in the same area might be due to scientific reasons but I am missing about 8 years of college and phDs to figure it out.

UV and Solar radiation does increase (and sometimes dramatically decrease) rapidly and even extremely in correlation to space weather events. That much I feel confident concluding.

5 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Where do you dine the UV rays, solar radiation and pressure on the website? I can’t seem to find it. I am asking because why not lol

You have to click on the weather station name. Then when the little map pops up you can click nearby stations! Scroll down for data. Unfortunately a lot of stations do not have UV readings. It has become a game for me. So much more fun than candy crush!

spacer.png

Look at this wild sudden wind pattern woa!

spacer.png

And notice at the nydelany43 station the wind just drops when the sun goes down??? That happens a lot here where I live but we never understood it...however there have been a few times when MONSTER WIND STORMS sweep through at night waking us up and making the house bitter bitter bitter cold.