ARs 2939 and 2940

Space pro
Go to solution Solved by Patrick P.A. Geryl,

I also saw it but I saw such things very often last months and most the time there were such faculae or plages when turning round the corner. I am presently not very excited about it and I still can jump around later very excited if this would be a big spot group... so let's pray perhaps 🙏 😉

Regards, Chris

• Like 1

• Solution
1 uur geleden, Chris, HB9DFG zei:

I also saw it but I saw such things very often last months and most the time there were such faculae or plages when turning round the corner. I am presently not very excited about it and I still can jump around later very excited if this would be a big spot group... so let's pray perhaps 🙏 😉

Regards, Chris

It isn’t a complex one. Not calculated. 2936 is as calculated a complex one.

The other one should have been born on January 28 and therefore can’t be strong yet. See “coming sunspots”. 

February has long alignments with Venus… could give some fireworks….

Edited by Patrick Geryl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NightOwl said:

It looks like there was a C flare from something over the limb in that area. I think it might have been the C7.4 at 16:55.
a1685470020_ScreenShot2022-01-29at12_55_00PM.png.6670d90d06a5001947061291a4ac5311.png

Indeed it was (I went to the SDO page on SDO, and clicked the movie button below AIA 131, and at the timestamp you said the only flare was the one you sent the picture of. 

It actually might have been significantly stronger than C7, since it was partially eclipsed by the limb! I’ll be interested to see the AR that launched it. 

Edited by Orneno
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Indeed it was (I went to the SDO page on SDO, and clicked the movie button below AIA 131, and at the timestamp you said the only flare was the one you sent the picture of. 

It actually might have been significantly stronger than C7, since it was partially eclipsed by the limb! I’ll be interested to see the AR that launched it. 

it only launched a tiny cme though so maybe not as exiting as previously mentioned

• Sad 1

Thanks for the details! For some reason that video didn't seem to be updated when I looked (but I might have missed something). Hope this region stays active/gets more active as it rotates towards us!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gabriel Hofstra said:

I have a feeling SC25 is delivering more than we would expect at this point

It's too soon to tell, if it peaks only 6 months earlier than predicted than the sunspot number counts are right on prediction.
But, I hope you're right 🤞

On 1/29/2022 at 12:30 PM, MinYoongi said:

It *could* contain one or more Sunspots, we can't tell sadly.

Maybe its just Faculae, maybe it's a complex region.

I think we'll see in 2-4 Days :) 

As MinYoongi said, it has a sunspot or two, but is mostly faculae.  That's why it appeared so big on the far side image, you can't tell the difference between spot and faculae there.

354933378_ScreenShot2022-01-30at2_52_09PM.png.ba9d9b5abf16e4d6fed71ac39cab07ed.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

I was looking at the two new regions of possibly complex sunspots. There's been some good flares associated with at least one of these and I think they could be similar to 2936. So far, based off of what I've learned on magnetic configuration of sunspot groups, they appear to be at least decent betas, and maybe there's a chance for gamma and delta config.

They may have lots of faculae, but didn't AR 2936 look like mostly faculae?

synoptic-map_(1).jpg

Edited by LunarLights58

1 uur geleden, LunarLights58 zei:

So what's up with the two polarities in the one sunspot? Is that something that just happens with the magnetogram images for limb regions?

Because it's still close to the limb, the magnetic classification can't be made because we're looking from the side. In this case likely the outer penumbral area is opposite polarity but we'll know when it rotates further and we'll get a better look at the magnetic layout.