The new AR is here! (M-flare)

Sam Warfel

• Sam Warfel changed the title to The new AR is here! (M-flare)
Just now, MinYoongi said:

Yep! 

Do you think it's the "real" value, or did GOES fail to catch the full magnitude? (Due to the region being not fully over the limb yet)

It looks right at the limb, so I think we got all or almost all of it. I wouldn’t think it would be more than M5 or so at the absolute max. 

4 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

I've been away for the past couple of weeks... what a great thing to come back to after a bit of a hiatus 😜

How exciting!

Welcome back, from me and the sun!
It's been a quiet few weeks, you didn't miss anything

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Coronal dimming was low, so no big CME and no radio sweeps. Just a normal minor M-class event.

its a good start 🤷‍♂️

It's a very good introduction to an AR that is hardly even visible yet!
Here's to much more to come from it 🍻

Just now, NightOwl said:

Thanks! Is that the same as a radio emission (but different from a radio blackout)?

Yes and yes.  It's the same thing as an emission (maybe I mis-used the term sweep, it's more often called a radio emission).
And it's not the same thing as a radio blackout.  Those are where radiation from a solar flare (x-rays, etc.) ionize the top of Earth's atmosphere, meaning it interacts with the radio waves we send around on the ground differently than normal and makes it harder to send them long distances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new AR is rotating into view. Frankly, it looks pretty underwhelming, even though it’s fired off at least 3 major flares, one or more of which may have been X-class. Does this mean it’s decayed a lot since then? Or is something like this still capable of the flares we’ve seen?

Was all the excitement for nothing, and @Sander Vancanneyt is vindicated yet again? Or is there still hope for fireworks from this AR like the ones we saw from the far side?

spacer.pngspacer.png

5 uren geleden, Orneno zei:

Was all the excitement for nothing, and @Sander Vancanneyt is vindicated yet again? Or is there still hope for fireworks from this AR like the ones we saw from the far side?

Underwhelming indeed. It has decayed a lot since the last big blast, plus activity declined after the M-flare so that’s a bummer 😭

7 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It has decayed a lot since the last big blast, plus activity declined after the M-flare so that’s a bummer 😭

Why does this always happen 👀

I just had idea though... I may be totally wrong on this but who knows. I will go for it always. But what if that this AR that just rotated in to view recently, wasn't the AR that was firing off these M- and possible X- class solar flares? Again I may be wrong but could this be a case...? It could be a different AR that was near that AR. But I think I am wrong. 🤷‍♀️

I just like finding the least worst way 😂

Edited by Solarflaretracker200

On 1/14/2022 at 9:48 AM, LunarLights58 said:

A long, narrow streamer of coronal material still appears to have been ejected.

CME.jpeg

Is there any chance the CME played a role in the underwater volcano eruption? I would imagine the Earth's core could be bumped thus jostling a little lava out of the sippy cup spout? The clouds over the global radar yesterday were the wildest looking thing. Bizarre storm patterns and cloud formations. I apologize I really don't have expertise on any of this but it seems a curious coincidence.